Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

@RHstatsI am not familiar with the Apple or Android apps. What you are looking for is multiple Networks using the same channel as yours. Ignite does have a lot of hidden channels, and these are not a problem. It is interference from other networks around you on the same channel that is problematic.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Bplayer - Where can I find the WinFi app. I tried the Microsoft store but it doesn't appear to be available.
I Plan to Stick Around

From their website https://www.helge-keck.com/
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RHstats look for Winfi Lite in the Microsoft Store, or, go to:

http://www.helge-keck.com/index.html

to download the application.  The helge-keck site is the app's home site, so it will probably have a more recent download version, compared to the Windows store.  

When the application is up and running, select the wrench symbol (tool symbol), which is the third icon in on the right hand side in the second row from the top.  Then select Spectrum to see the graphical display of the networks.  The display, 2.4 Ghz channels, 5 Ghz channels, or both is determined by the top line selection of 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or ALL.  

To make the channel situation easy to see via the text data, sort the data by column, using either the Channel or RSSI column.  All of the columns will sort up and down by selecting the column title once for sort up, or once for sorting down.  

The highest wifi output channels are in the channel 149 to 161 range, which is where you want to be running your wifi.  Even if you have competition in that range from your neighbours, you will most likely find that your wifi data rates are faster than they would be if you used the channel 36 to 48 range without any competition.  That range is restricted to 200 milli-watts while channels 149 to 161 are allowed to run 1 watt max.  

Edit:  If you sort the data using the BSSID column, you should be able to see all of the hidden SSIDs that are broadcast by your modem. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank @Datalink, I did find the site and downloaded what is supposed to be the latest version (1.0.11.1) BUT WHEN I installed it, it just opens the app and says that it is loading. I had the window open for 10 minutes and it was still loading so I closed the app and then uninstalled it. Does it take that long for the app to load?

I'll try and reinstall the app and see what happens.

As for my wifi networks,my Rogers 5G network is broadcasting on the 157 channel. My 2.4GHz signal is broadcasting on channel 6.My ASUS network is also on channel 157 and the 2.4GHz is on channel 10.

BTW, I just had the ,level 3 tech here and he told me that the problem appears to be a signal issue in the area and that the internet is unstable. He showed me the test signals that he was receiving on his notebook and said that all of my neighbours are being affected as well, although it appears that no one else has called in to Rogers. He is going to issue maintenance request to have the problem resolved. He also told me that there is not a problem in my house and the problem is not interference from other users.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

The highest wifi output channels are in the channel 149 to 161 range, which is where you want to be running your wifi.  Even if you have competition in that range from your neighbours, you will most likely find that your wifi data rates are faster than they would be if you used the channel 36 to 48 range without any competition.  That range is restricted to 200 milli-watts while channels 149 to 161 are allowed to run 1 watt max.  

That depends.  Maybe.  I'll always go for lower power levels to get clear airspace if I can still get good signal strength.  Higher power is only useful if the device at the other end can match it and can be "heard" over the background noise; your connection is literally only as good as the weakest end of the link.  Furthermore, if you can receive the neighbouring Wi-Fi signal and there is a lot of contention on that channel,  your Wi-Fi performance will suffer.   If their signal strength is higher than -85 dBm, you won't be able to transmit on your network while any other device on any other network in range on that frequency is transmitting.

In picking lower power levels, you are also being a good neighbour.  (It's like keeping the volume of your stereo at a reasonable level.)  Same goes for not configuring the largest channel width possible.

I firmly believe in using channels that transmit at lower power wherever possible and using higher power levels only when necessary.

For more (fairly easy to read) technical background on how Wi-Fi works and how/why it can perform poorly, check out:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/how-ars-tests-wi-fi-gear-and-you-can-too/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RHstats wrote:
BTW, I just had the ,level 3 tech here and he told me that the problem appears to be a signal issue in the area and that the internet is unstable. He showed me the test signals that he was receiving on his notebook and said that all of my neighbours are being affected as well, although it appears that no one else has called in to Rogers. He is going to issue maintenance request to have the problem resolved. He also told me that there is not a problem in my house and the problem is not interference from other users.

That's great news!  I hope things will start working well for you again once this gets fixed!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The application should fire up right away and display the text data.  

For your Asus router, if you have 20/40/80 selected for the 5 Ghz bandwidth, consider changing the base channel to either end, 149 or 161 so that the control channels used for the modem and router don't conflict.  If you have Merlin's Asuswrt loaded, you can fire up the wifi radar which is located in the Wifi tab, configure the application to start collecting data under Configuration, and then have a look at the Channel Distribution which shows the Control Channels in use.  That is located at the bottom of the Channel Statistics top selection.   

Here's an example.  I've removed the network names from the left side of the chart.  This shows the nearby 5 Ghz networks.  The top row is my Asus RT-AC86U, second row is one of my neighbours which is a Technicolor modem , the rest are modems and routers belonging to my neighbours.  The concern at this point is to avoid control channel overlap, so that both router and modem can run without too much of a hit in performance.  

Channel Distribution.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Ha Ha. Signal issues hitting the 'hood. Got this "answer" a month ago so the Maint crew came and "replaced the extender and boosted the signals" outside my house. That seemed to have resolved my modem/gateway disconnecting from the Rogers network (MAN/WAN) with no change required in my home setup (LAN).

Last night, when I called Tech Support re: the video freezes and audio drops/lags, I was told that my house was the only place in the 'hood that she saw network issues (e.g. packet losses). So another case was opened and a ticket assigned to the Network Monitoring group. Although I am not getting the 100's mbps download and 10's mbps of upload speeds which were typical a few weeks ago (recorded by my EERO app and my own speed tests via RJ45 wired connection), I do want Rogers to rectify the network degradation issue to my house. Meanwhile, I can survive with the lower Internet speed. In particular, I can stream from Netflix and Amazon Prime, and DON'T experience the audio and video issues.  I just watched a 2-hr Netflix movie and it didn't freeze nor lag.

IMHO, I think the issues are at the backend, viz. the servers. They need to be beefed up to support the demands, e.g., SuperBowl, OSCARs, upcoming NBA All-Stars, etc.. They need to be monitored for performance, and load-balanced to meet demands from various locales/regions. They need to be regularly maintained to pre-empt service problems; e.g., flush cache, reboot, etc.. And when they are being maintained, Rogers needs to do so with prudence; i.e., schedule the service maint wisely to minimize disruption of service to Customers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Interestingly, after the level 3 tech left this afternoon, it seems that all of my issues have disappeared! I have had my TV on since he left and have not had a single audio or video dropout, no black screens, voice control has been working perfectly, and the remote responsiveness has been quick and precise with no lag whatsoever. The only thing that I can attribute this to is that before the tech left, I asked him to check the connection in the Rogers pedestal that just happens to be right in front of my house. He did so, went to the pedestal and disconnected and then reconnected the cable to my house. Since then, everything has been working perfectly on all of my TVs. I don't think that this is a coincidence.

I find it odd that, since the issues were obviously signal/connection issues, and having four visits by (two by senior techs) to resolve my complaints, not one of them thought of checking the connection in the pedestal.