Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alpah
I've Been Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

I also am having the same issues and also the screen freezing. Have had many techs here and countless calls to service. Always the same answer, it is fixed and nobody else has these problems. 
after reading about others with same issues I have concluded Rogers has unreliable service and I will cancel my services and go to other providers. If more people did this they will take us seriously and improve their service.

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around

@Rising, it is possible to check which modem you have with the ignite Wifi App. Open the app, click on network at the bottom of the screen. Then under Network Details, click on Gateway and at the bottom of the page, click on Gateway Details and all the information about your modem will be there

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello all. I have had subscribed to IgniteTV since June 2018. For the first 12months or so We had the same issues as others on this thread have been complaining i.e. audio/video dropouts, voice control not working properly or at all, getting kicked out of recordings/Netflix/YouTube, etc. I had called support numerous times without result and my wife especially, and I were getting quite upset about the lack of results.

My setup at the time was a atypical: I had left the Rogers modem in gateway mode but had disabled both the 2.4 and 5G wifi networks. I connected a pair of ASUS RT-AC68U routers in Ai-Mesh mode to the XB6 modem and all 5 of my STBs and personal peripheral devices (desktop pc, phones, iPads, Google Home minis, fire sticks, Nest thermostat and cameras, etc.) were connected to the ASUS router network.

Finally, after numerous techs had come out and tried to resolve the problem without success, a senior tech was sent out in June and when he arrived he took out his notebook and checked my setup. He then restored the XB6 wifi networks and, leaving the XB6 in gateway mode, installed four wifi pods throughout our house, ensuring that they and the STBs were all connected to the XB6 wifi network. Before he left he made sure that all of our TVs were getting good signals and pictures. So now all my STBs and wifi pods were connected directly to the XB6 wifi network and all my personal peripheral devices were connected to the ASUS Ai-Mesh network.

From that point on our IgniteTV service was perfect! No dropouts, slow responses to the remote or voice control issues for the next six months... until about two weeks ago when all the previous issues came back with a vengeance!

After suffering for a little more than a week, I called tech support last Wednesday, and complained loud and long. I told them that nothing had changed in my setup so there doesn’t appear to be a reason why all of a sudden the issues should return.

After carrying out checks, etc. he said he could see that there appeared to be some issues but that he couldn’t resolve them online and Je scheduled a senior tech to come out on Friday. When the tech arrived on Saturday, the tech pulled out his notebook and after a few minutes proceeded to replace my modem wit a Technicolour modem. He then ensured that all the STBs and wifi pods were connected to the XB6 and left saying that it should resolve all the issues that we had been having. Of course it didn’t! On Saturday night the problems remained the same so I called tech support and they scheduled another tech to come out on Saturday.

when this tech arrived he checked everything on his laptop and said that he couldn’t see any issues and that the problems we were experiencing were probably caused by the new modem and wifi pods were downloading software updates and that was causing erratic issues with our ignite service. He then left! Of course, that wasn’t the answer and last night while watching the Oscars we were watching the recorded show (so as to avoid the commercials), we experienced innumerable audio/video dropouts, were getting kicked out of the recording into either live tv or into the On Demand showing of the Oscars. Since it was late, I decided to wait until today to call tech support. After doing some online testing and checking I was told that they couldn’t see any reason for the problems we were experiencing and scheduled a level 3 tech to come out tomorrow to resolve the problems.

i shall provide an update tomorrow.
Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RHstats have you tried running WinFi, a Windows program, when you are experiencing problems? It that maps all the wifi signals in your area, and may indicate congestion the channel you are set to.

Rising
I Plan to Stick Around

@RHstats , I have the Arris TG3482G

seadooxp30
I Plan to Stick Around

@RHstats,

I feel your pain. My Wife is more frustrated than me. She keep asking how company can stay in business having such a service!

She couldn't watch Oscar or Raptors game last night. Micro freezing and lost audio.

slick1
I Plan to Stick Around

I also feel your pain.  The cable companies stay in business due to the CRTC limiting competition in Canada.  I have had the ignite service for over a year now, 5 tv's with 1 being hardwired.  For the first 3 months the system was nothing short of trash.  Pretty predicable lose of TV (freezing, loss of audio, and terrible PVR) during peak viewing hours.  Had techs to the house who found nothing and changed nothing.  Then all of a sudden, one day, everything worked pretty good.  Don't even try to tell me the majority of problems as such lie within the household.  I was never told what Rogers did to solve the issue, nor do I believe they will ever let the public know what their problems are.  I also believe the local techs can't solve such problems because the root is out of their control and expertise.  However with all that said, once the system works, it's a pretty neat.  Particularly the whole house PVR and voice search.  My system has been working pretty good now (98 percent up time) for over a year.  It is just a shame that Rogers couldn't deliver the system working perfectly immediately upon installation.

wez
I Plan to Stick Around

Deja-vu. Anxiously waiting for your update.

For me, I experienced similar service issues a year ago. After reaching out to Mr. Natale and several visits by real Rogers Sr. Tech (incl. Field Tech Manager), the service stabilized. Then a month ago, my modem kept disconnecting from the Rogers network. This impacted not only Ignite TV and Internet, but also HomePhone. The first tech didn't do much except replaced a coax connector in my house. The second field tech identified some flapping which interfered the signals coming to my house. This was addressed by Rogers Maintenance: "extender was replaced and that all signals were boosted to appropriate levels." Then OSCAR came. Like you, the video freezes, audio drops, etc., came back; e.g., this weekend during the second half of the OSCARS (~10:00pm EST). I ran some speed tests from my PC which is wired (not Wi-Fi), also confirmed by the EERO app, and they fell short of the 500mbps download. I called Tech Support last night and they did see some network issues to my house. A ticket was opened for the backend Network group to monitor my connection.

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bplayer- I haven't tried WinFi (just looked it up and it appears to be quite comprehensive and I might give it a 

try ... I found an interesting video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0iX5xzVuw8) that explains how it works.

I tried unsuccessfully to find a WiFi analyzer app in the Apple app store for my iPhone but someone on this thread, or another one, mentioned that the Apple Air Port Utility works pretty well to scan local WiFi networks and I have been using that. However, I also have an Android tablet and there are a number of wifi analyzer apps that work pretty well.

I found the Air Port Utility quite useful in that it allows you to scan for a particular SSID and see the signal strength if I scan for my SSID I can see my modem/router and all of the wifi pods and how the signal strength varies from second to second. I also see quite a few hidden SSIDs. It seems that all of my Rogers devices transmit on the same channel, 2.4ghz on channel 6 (except for one device broadcasting on channel 11) and the 5G network on channel 157. The devices on my personal network (ASUS Ai-Mesh plus a couple of power line adapters) broadcast on differing channels (I suspect that the ASUS routers broadcast on the same channels and the power line adapters broadcast on a different channel).

I see that a lot of the hidden SSIDs seem to be broadcasting on the same channels as my Rogers devices which could be causing interference for my networks - it's hard to tell whether I'm getting interference that is causing the problem. Last night I tried an experiment; up until now all of my STBs were getting their connections via Wifi and the Wifi pods were located strategically throughout the house to ensure that they communicated well with each other, so I decided to move the wifi pods next to the STBs and connected the STBs to the wifi pods using an ethernet patch cord. Presumably, this would provide a stronger signal to the STB but the wifi pods could still experience interference so I'm not sure that this is a viable solution. It did seem to improve things for the short while that I was watching TV  but I need to see the results over the long term. Perhaps something to ask the level 3 tech that is coming out this afternoon.

RogersLaura

Greetings @Alpah,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for posting. 🙂

We're sorry to hear about your disappointing experience and wish that things could have gone better for you. It's always a sad day when we hear that one of our customers is planning to leave us due to a poor experience. 🙁

By any chance, has a Senior Tech been out to your home to assess the situation as yet? If not, that would be the next best step as perhaps they can find something that was previously missed and get it resolved for you.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura