Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

Well I just switched to ignite tv 2 days ago. It works fine during the day but trying to watch at night screen freezes sound cuts out. Nice to see that rogers stands behind their products as all of the other comments sound similar in that they are getting no support from rogers support. Guess I am going to have to look at a different provider starting tomorrow

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

know the pain....I'm having same problem for past 3 weeks..

3 tech and everything checked!

This is Rogers backend server that needs to be upgraded.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty,

I pay for my service and expect it to work as advertised.

Good to know that you know 25 people but add me to the list of others on this forum or the one that don't post and have ongoing issue!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Question for others that have ongoing issue with ignite TV:

- Do you have Arris modem or Technicolor?

- Do you et freezing on prime time only? between 7 to midnight only?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

As I am at work at the moment I am unsure of the manufacturer of my modem, but I was getting freezing all the time. The third tech that came out was quite knowledgeable about networks and found that the pods they installed were conflicting with each other. Once he disconnected them all so that I am just running on the gateway by itself, all my issues with the tv seemed to go away. They just installed my modem centrally in my home and everything is good now. In summary, it was an installation issue. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Rising,

My TV boxes are connected directly to the modem via wire so nit the same as your issue.

Check your modem when you can. I'm suspecting Arris Modems have this issue.

BTW- 4 Tech so far and they are claiming its noise on line and passed to maintenance team for almost 10 days without resolution.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@seadooxp30  Ignite TV works well with both the Arris and Technicolor modems.  If a modem is causing problems, Rogers tech support will see it.  I once called in because I was seeing some strange glitches but was not seeing anything in the XB6's stats and logs that could account for it.  However, Rogers was seeing a bunch of issues getting logged in their tools and they dispatched a tech to replace my modem.

Re: problems that only occur in the evening, I've seen them too... but they had nothing to do with anything on the Rogers side.  In my case, a neighbour made some changes to their Wi-Fi: they added a router, presumably to improve speed and coverage and started using the same channels that I was using as well.  They probably made their own problems even worse, and then mine as well.  When their traffic spiked in the evening, it caused performance to drop for everybody.  Remember that if any network in the area (including yours) with a signal strength of -85 dBm or higher is performing poorly, it will affect ALL devices on ALL networks on that same channel; it doesn't matter how close your set-top box is to the modem.  Only one device (Access Point or Wi-Fi client) can transmit on that frequency at a time.  If there are many active devices with poor-quality Wi-Fi connections using the same channel, they will severely impact Wi-Fi performance for all devices using that channel as well.

If the signal to your modem is good and you are not seeing excessive unrecoverable codeword errors in the stats, and there are no other issues (that Rogers can see) impacting your area, your Ignite TV issues are very likely being caused by problems with your in-home network and/or Wi-Fi.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have nothing but Roger equipment and my TV boxes are connected via wire directly to the modem

So nothing in your reply apply to me.

"Re: problems that only occur in the evening, I've seen them too... but they had nothing to do with anything on the Rogers side"

Why is this only happen on pick time???? Why I don't see it when I watch TV at 12 noon? Explain that to me.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been an Ignite TV subscriber for about a year. The video freezes, audio drops, lags, etc., were pervasive. When I reached out to Joe Natale, the service improved and stabilized... until last night ... OSCARS night.  Around 10:00pm, the video freezes, audio drops, frame lags, etc. came back. Even after recycling the Arris modem/gateway, I still have these symptoms. There has been no change in my on-premise (home) setup. Maybe the Rogers infrastructure in my 'hood (GTA suburb) is problematic. Maybe the Rogers backend needs to be checked out; e.g., flush the cache on their servers. Has anyone experienced the hiccup since last night?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@seadooxp30 wrote:

I have nothing but Roger equipment and my TV boxes are connected via wire directly to the modem

So nothing in your reply apply to me.

"Re: problems that only occur in the evening, I've seen them too... but they had nothing to do with anything on the Rogers side"

Why is this only happen on pick time???? Why I don't see it when I watch TV at 12 noon? Explain that to me.

I don't know anything about your in-home network, how you have it designed or what other devices you have connected, so I can't offer any other troubleshooting tips without more information.  The Rogers tech support team has always been very upfront and honest with me and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be the same to you if they saw a problem.  For another approach to solving your issues, you may want to try sending a PM to @CommunityHelps  and have an ongoing dialog with them.  You can carry on a conversation with them in real-time via PM and they can also access senior technical resources internally to assist with troubleshooting as well.

As for the video freezes, keep in mind that the Ignite TV streams are buffered and traffic is sent in bursts as normal unicast streams.  If a segment in the video stream is not available for processing when the decoder needs it, or something else is causing the set-top box to become busy which prevents it from processing segments in the stream, you'll either get stuttering audio, audio drop-outs, or the video will freeze for several seconds.  Ignite TV also uses adaptive bitrates so if the network becomes slow for a sustained period of time, the stream will drop to a lower bitrate in order to maintain the stream.  On a live broadcast, if you give the voice command "go back 30 seconds" (the STB will now have more of the stream buffered in memory) and you still experience audio dropouts and video freezes, it's then (most likely) not a network issue and is likely an issue with the set-top box itself.  (It's also possible that a streamer in Rogers' backend could be dropping and/or corrupting segments in the video stream (which would also prevent it from being processed by the decoders in the STB) but that is highly unlikely.)

As I've also said before, even when wired, the Xi6 set-top boxes try to maintain a Wi-Fi connection as well.  If its Wi-Fi connection to the AP (or the AP itself) is unstable, it can also cause problems.  If your home network has excessive broadcast or multicast traffic, that could potentially also cause the Xi6 set-top boxes to glitch.

If I'm ever trying to troubleshoot a problem with Ignite TV, I put my network into a configuration where I have nothing but the Xi6 set-top boxes connected to the XB6 gateway.