Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

There's another upside to using the Pods...

You can't completely disable Wi-Fi on the XB6, so with the eero mesh, or any other 3rd-party Wi-Fi solution, the always-on Wi-Fi on the XB6 is redundant and a source of interference... and you have to employ workarounds minimize the effects.

The upside to using the Pods is that they extend the XB6's Wi-Fi capabilities.

... and the upside to Ignite TV is that it works well with all of the above Wi-Fi solutions.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite WiFi Hub App vs Wall to Wall WiFi

Rogers Forums
With all the advertising of the new Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub App I am a bit confused.

I currently have Ignite 150 Package with the Wall to Wall WiFi installed i.e. Eero Mesh Network.
Everything works very well and the only complaint is the default installation of the Eero Mesh is to put the Eero Router in Bridge Mode which handicaps a lot of the features of the Eero, which could be a very capable system.

With the WiFi Hub App and "coming soon Pods" that are talked about it seems that this will be a more Full Featured setup than my Eero.

Comments or thoughts?
DavidH

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DavidHH wrote:

With all the advertising of the new Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub App I am a bit confused.

I currently have Ignite 150 Package with the Wall to Wall WiFi installed i.e. Eero Mesh Network.
Everything works very well and the only complaint is the default installation of the Eero Mesh is to put the Eero Router in Bridge Mode which handicaps a lot of the features of the Eero, which could be a very capable system.

With the WiFi Hub App and "coming soon Pods" that are talked about it seems that this will be a more Full Featured setup than my Eero.

Comments or thoughts?
DavidH

Both the eero and the Ignite WiFi pods are trying to solve the same problem: provide good Wi-Fi connectivity throughout your home in situations where the XB6 gateway alone does not provide sufficient coverage.  They solve this problem in two different ways and each approach has its pros and cons.

With the eero mesh, you have a primary node (the "hub") that connects to the XB6 via an Ethernet cable.  Additional eero Beacons are placed in strategic locations to extend coverage.  (You have to be very deliberate with the placement of the beacons.  More beacons are NOT always better.)  The eero hub and beacon are high-power WiFi nodes and the two, together, usually provide enough coverage for the average mid-to-large-sized home.

The Ignite WiFi pods take a different approach: they are "low power" devices that provide coverage for a room rather than an entire section of a house, and many pods will be required to provide blanket coverage in a large home.  The pods form an adaptive mesh that optimizes over time.

The eero mesh is FANTASTIC for providing good, strong Wi-Fi connectivity for devices that remain in a fixed location.  However, if you are not careful with the placement of the Beacons, it can be not-so-fantastic for devices, such as smart phones and tablets, that move around a lot throughout the home.  Mobile devices typically do not try to find a more optimal Wi-Fi connection unless the RSSI drops below -70 dBm, so you could find yourself sitting right next to a Beacon yet still be connected to the more distant hub because the signal is still good enough that the device will not disconnect on its own.  As you've pointed out, you also can't take full advantage of the eero's strengths when it is in "bridge mode", nor can you take full advantage of the Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub (app and cloud-based management) feature.

The Ignite WiFi pods will address those issues.  They will be a well-integrated, seamless solution that you can control from an app on your mobile device.  Because of the pods' lower power, mobile devices will disconnect and reconnect seamlessly to a more optimal pod as you move around your home.  The downside to the pods is that they are not the best-performing Wi-Fi solution; you will likely see more latency and lower speeds, especially when the network path involves multiple hops across multiple pods.

As you alluded to in your post, a better solution, for some, might be to put the XB6 in "bridge mode" and configure the eero hub as  gateway to take full advantage of the eero's capabilities.  The only problem with this approach is that it is NOT supported by Rogers.  Ignite TV is a VERY flexible and works well with MANY different Wi-Fi solutions.  However, Rogers only officially supports configurations where the XB6 is in gateway mode.

So, the new Ignite WiFi pods will provide users with a mesh solution that will work seamlessly with the XB6 and the Ignite WiFi Hub offering, AND make it much simpler for the Rogers techs to install.  However, if you already have Rogers Wall-to-Wall WiFi (powered by eero) and it is working well for you, there is really no compelling reason to change it.  (I wouldn't.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Over the last several days I've encountered error code XRE-3090 when attempting to watch TV and code XRE-3092 for anything On Demand. No channels are presently working, modems have been shutdown rebooted several times, I had a tech come in a few days ago, he replaced the TV box and everything worked fine for 2 days before crashing again today. Youtube works fine. According to concierge support signal strength is not the issue. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I was told that a support ticket was opened but upon reading some of the earlier posts I'm afraid it will simply fall into the queue and may not get resolved if at all within a reasonable period of time. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Moose66t Do you have any wifi extenders in use? When I was having some similar problems some time ago I associated it with my use of a wifi extender (not Eero). The TV box needed to be remotely rebooted as just unplugging was not sufficient. Ask for a remote reboot when you next talk  to CS and see if that helps.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No additional equipment in use. I have the modem and TV Box, that's it. 

We tried every type of reboot/restart available with no positive results. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Moose66t wrote:

Over the last several days I've encountered error code XRE-3090 when attempting to watch TV and code XRE-3092 for anything On Demand. No channels are presently working, modems have been shutdown rebooted several times, I had a tech come in a few days ago, he replaced the TV box and everything worked fine for 2 days before crashing again today. Youtube works fine. According to concierge support signal strength is not the issue. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I was told that a support ticket was opened but upon reading some of the earlier posts I'm afraid it will simply fall into the queue and may not get resolved if at all within a reasonable period of time. 

One other thing that you can try on your set-top box is to go into Settings > Help.  Then click "System Refresh" in the Troubleshooting section.  When prompted, click "Refresh Now".

If all goes well, after 2 minutes or so, you should see a "Refresh Complete" message.  Hopefully, that will get things working again.  If you see any error messages, be sure to take note of them and report them to Rogers Tech Support.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

IgniteTV always restarting

I have been a Rogers customer for quite some time and just recently switched over to the Ignite TV hoping to save some money. Ignite was working just fine yesterday afternoon but this morning when I went to turn it on it keeps telling me to restart which I have about a dozen times now. Can anyone maybe help me figure out what to do before my kids come home?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Already tried this, no changes. TV and On Demand remains unavailable on the TV Box. Support has provided a ticket # , 24 hours later. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@DavidHH wrote:

Comments or thoughts?
DavidH

Both the eero and the Ignite WiFi pods are trying to solve the same problem: provide good Wi-Fi connectivity throughout your home in situations where the XB6 gateway alone does not provide sufficient coverage.  They solve this problem in two different ways and each approach has its pros and cons.

With the eero mesh, you have a primary node (the "hub") that connects to the XB6 via an Ethernet cable.  Additional eero Beacons are placed in strategic locations to extend coverage.  (You have to be very deliberate with the placement of the beacons.  More beacons are NOT always better.)  The eero hub and beacon are high-power WiFi nodes and the two, together, usually provide enough coverage for the average mid-to-large-sized home.

The Ignite WiFi pods take a different approach: they are "low power" devices that provide coverage for a room rather than an entire section of a house, and many pods will be required to provide blanket coverage in a large home.  The pods form an adaptive mesh that optimizes over time.

The eero mesh is FANTASTIC for providing good, strong Wi-Fi connectivity for devices that remain in a fixed location.  However, if you are not careful with the placement of the Beacons, it can be not-so-fantastic for devices, such as smart phones and tablets, that move around a lot throughout the home.  Mobile devices typically do not try to find a more optimal Wi-Fi connection unless the RSSI drops below -70 dBm, so you could find yourself sitting right next to a Beacon yet still be connected to the more distant hub because the signal is still good enough that the device will not disconnect on its own.  As you've pointed out, you also can't take full advantage of the eero's strengths when it is in "bridge mode", nor can you take full advantage of the Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub (app and cloud-based management) feature.

The Ignite WiFi pods will address those issues.  They will be a well-integrated, seamless solution that you can control from an app on your mobile device.  Because of the pods' lower power, mobile devices will disconnect and reconnect seamlessly to a more optimal pod as you move around your home.  The downside to the pods is that they are not the best-performing Wi-Fi solution; you will likely see more latency and lower speeds, especially when the network path involves multiple hops across multiple pods.

As you alluded to in your post, a better solution, for some, might be to put the XB6 in "bridge mode" and configure the eero hub as  gateway to take full advantage of the eero's capabilities.  The only problem with this approach is that it is NOT supported by Rogers.  Ignite TV is a VERY flexible and works well with MANY different Wi-Fi solutions.  However, Rogers only officially supports configurations where the XB6 is in gateway mode.

So, the new Ignite WiFi pods will provide users with a mesh solution that will work seamlessly with the XB6 and the Ignite WiFi Hub offering, AND make it much simpler for the Rogers techs to install.  However, if you already have Rogers Wall-to-Wall WiFi (powered by eero) and it is working well for you, there is really no compelling reason to change it.  (I wouldn't.)

This, I'm afraid is a long post but is with regard to the Ignite WiFi pods, but if you bear with me I think that you will find it informative and useful.

I have been an IgniteTV subscriber since June 2018. Over the 14 months since, I have suffered from all of the problems that most of the other contributors to this thread have experienced. I have reported these to Rogers through customer support and my concierge (who incidentally is NEVER available when I call and I speak with one f the other concierges) and have had numerous service calls by Techs who came to the house, fiddled around a bit, tried various "solutions" and left declaring that they could not find any problems.

Things came to a head about three weeks ago when I was getting serious problems on the STB on which I was watching TV, and I was getting a looping video of the program that my wife and I were watching that kept on repeating itself endlessly. I restarted ths STB but then it was unable to reconnect. I tried other STBs and wasn't able to get anything from any of them amd whn I checked the XB6 I foundthat it had gone down with a red light on top. My wife, otherwise known as "She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO), threatened drastic action unless the problem was resolved immediately. I called Tech Support and after trying numerous things and checking sinals etc. they decided that a service call would be necessary and a visit was arranged for the next day.

The next day a tech came out and before even looking at the XB6 he checked signal levels throuhout and all connections coming in to the house and the STBs. He then checked the XB6 (I should explain here that my set up was a little different from the usual; I had been using the XB6 in Gateway mode with WiFi turned off and using my own Asus router in combination with another ASUS router both in AiMesh mode to distribute the WiFi signals throughout the house.most of the STBs - I have 5 - were connected by WiFi except for one in the basement that was hardwired to the second Asus router which was set up as an AiMesh node and I had IPv6 in Passthrough mode on my router).

The tech then told me that Rogers had learned a month or so earlier that, in order for the STBs to work properly they should be receiving IPv6 signals and if using a third party router to distribute WiFi, the XB6 had to be in bridge mode with WiFi on and using the same SSID as the third party router. He then made changes on my router changing thje IPv6 basic configuration from Passthrough to Native,disabled DHCP-PD snd changed the IPv6 LAN Setting by inserting a LAN IPv6 Address and changing the LAN IPv6 Prefix Length to 64. He then changed my router's Firewall settings enabling the IPv6 firewall and adding an Inbound Firewall Rule by adding a rule , Service Name: Ignite TV | Local IP: ::/0 | Port Range:56982 | TCP/UDP Protocol: Both.

He then restarted the XB6, my routers as well as each of the STBs. By that time all seemed to be well and I was getting good WiFi signals on all my WiFi connected peripherals as well as all the STBs. The Tech however, later that night I started getting intermitent problems on the STBs again and then at about 10:00pm everything went off!! No WiFi, no Internet nothing and the XB6 hjad the red light on indicating thatit was offline. I tried restarting without any success.

I called tech support and after the tech made me try and restart the XB6 three times without success, the tech suport tried restarting the XB6 remotely after which he reported that he could no longer even see the XB6 on the network. He concluded that the XB6 had failed and arranged for a service tech to come out the next day (not until late afternoon unfortunately) to replace it. However, the modem mysteriously came back to life about three hours later.

Another Tech arrived the next day and went through a series of checks, again checking signal levels at the street monument that just happens to be right in front of my house, all the connections in and out of the house, He then confirmed that if I wanted to use my own third party router that the XB6 needed to be bridged with WiFi active.

Then he produced some Ignite WiFi Pods and said he was going to install them throughout thehose to improve thew WiFi signals. I protested saying tat I didn't want to pay for the pods and preferred to use my router to distribute WiFi, especially as I use a VPN onmy network. He told me that there is no charge for the pods but they should connect to the XB6 using the 10.0.0.1 settings; this would allow me to use the Rogers Ignite WiFi App on my phone to connect, monitor and make changes to the pods and XB6. If I wanted to use a VPN I could continue using my Asus routers and network using the 192.168.x.x settings but the XB6 SSID wou have to be different to the Asus network. He then installed four Ignite WiFi pods throughout the house and connected all of my STBs wirelessly to the 1.0.0.1 network.

So, now I have two WiFi networks set up. All of the STBs are connected to the Rogers XB6 netwrok, and everything else, (desktop PC, phones. iPads, Google Home and other WiFi peripherals) are connected through my Asus router allowing me to use my VPN.

So far, after over two weeks, everything has been working flawlessly and stable with no dropouts, blackouts, glitches, etc from the STBs and my other Asus network also working perfectly with no issues. It seems to me at least that I now have the best of both worlds and Rogers appears to have crcked it and found a solution that ends all of the frustration that we have all been dealing with.