Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

@Mpinchbeck wrote:He did say the whole home wi-fi was not necessary and removed it.  Bottom line is that the issues have still not been resolved, and are actually getting worse.  Yesterday I had to reboot my set-top box every hour to get my tv unfrozen.  Another tv also had a black screen when turned on and also had to be rebooted.  Bottom line I am very frustrated and am not getting the service I am paying for.  Rogers Ignite is definitely not ready for “prime time”.

Sorry to hear about your issues. My setup, with one wifi connected STB, has been rock solid for the last few months. I did experience some issues with the STB a few month back when I installed a wifi extender. The solution was for the support centre to remotely reboot my STB. This reboot had to be done from the Rogers end and just unplugging was not sufficient. If you have not done that then I suggest you call and request this.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi again everyone:

I have another tech coming tomorrow around 2PM to install a new modem.  I sure hope this installation goes much better than the first.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bplayer, I will definitely follow your steps and keep my fingers crossed that all works fine.  I also remember being told the tech had no reason to fiddle with the wires in my walls, so I will keep a close eye on him/her and make sure they never remove a wall plate.  I have swept up enough wire shavings from my floors after they trim the wires, I'm worried I won't have enough left soon to make a proper connection.

Thinking positive.  Thanks again everyone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221 I'd like to bring up a previous point, from message #171 in this thread.  You indicated 

"I have a cordless phone and a corded phone.  If either one is plugged into the Ignite modem, it does not work.  But if I unplug any phone, let's say the cordless phone from the Ignite modem, and do not plug another phone into it, the corded phone works fine from any phone jack in the house, or vice versa.  In other words, my home phone system works fine if there's no phone plugged into the modem. Does this make sense? .........'

No, it doesn't make any sense at all.  So, I agree with the test steps indicated previously, but, I would add one additional step that you can do at any time, and that is to:

1.  Connect your cordless or corded phone to one of the wall jacks, without connecting the modem to any of the wall jacks.  

2.  You shouldn't hear a dial tone when you pick up the phone:

3.  You shouldn't be able to dial out with that phone:

4.  You shouldn't be able to dial into that phone. 

If any or all of those last three items don't turn out as indicated, that means that the wall jacks are still live, for some unknown reason. 

1.  The first question is why are they still live?

2.  If they are still live, the next question is how have all of the techs missed that simple fact?

If the wall jacks are still live, there is always the possibility that they are connected in reverse.  There are only two wires that are required to run a phone.  They can be connected correctly, or reversed.  The phone will still work as it should.  The problem that arises is, if the wall jacks are reversed from what they should be, connecting them to the modem would result in the modem feeding some voltage to a ground wire, and the wall jack positive voltage would be feeding the ground pin on the modem.  A rather interesting combination to say the least.  

So, the question of the day is, "are the wall jacks still live, for some unknown reason?"

If not, then you should be good to connect the modem to the wall jacks as long as no technician has done something strange like connecting both of the wires together when the previous service was disconnected.  In theory, the house telephone wiring should be free of any external connections or internal Home Phone connection (previous service), and it should be available to connect to any new phone service, which the new modem provides on its own. 

Not trying to get technical on you, but, simply connecting a phone to the wall jacks should confirm whether or not the wall jacks are still alive and running. 

I Plan to Stick Around

OK, Datalink, I would say the wall jacks are not live because I did unplug the modem and connect a phone as you said and:

1.  I got no dial tone.

2.  I could not dial out.

3.  When dialing my home tel. number, no phone rings in my house, although I hear ringing on my cell phone (the phone I'm calling from). 

I guess we're good to go tomorrow.  Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 wrote:

OK, Datalink, I would say the wall jacks are not live because I did unplug the modem and connect a phone as you said and:

1.  I got no dial tone.

2.  I could not dial out.

3.  When dialing my home tel. number, no phone rings in my house, although I hear ringing on my cell phone (the phone I'm calling from). 

I guess we're good to go tomorrow.  Thanks.

That's great news.  I would still ask the Rogers tech to locate the Bell line (where it enters your home) and verify that it has been completely disconnected inside from your house wiring.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221 I would also add one item to @-G-s recommendation.  Ensure "that it has been completely disconnected" and that the remaining two wires that might feed the house telephone system have not been twisted together, which would cause any new connecting system to short out.  The house telephone system should be in a configuration where its not physically grounded to anything, and not connected to anything else prior to connecting to the new modem and not shorted out by connecting those two wires together at any point in the system.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, no need to check any of your suggestions because the new modem never got connected.  They sent 3 techs to my house yesterday, the first one drove into my driveway, never rang my doorbell, and then just drove off.  When I called my concierge to get him back, he couldn't reach him and was trying to go through the dispatcher.  He said he would call me back in about a half hour.  So they really want me to believe Rogers has techs out there in their trucks......somewhere......but nobody knows where they are or what they're doing?  Sure.

It took 4 hours to call me back, and that was, I think, a Rogers contractor who called me (at least that's what my Caller ID showed).  He said he was on his way to my house.  An hour later, 2 Rogers trucks showed up.  Wow, do I feel special.  The tech came right into the house and headed straight for my phone and started fiddling with it.  Sure, when someone plays with the phone it no longer flashes "in use".  All he wanted to do was argue about why my phone didn't work.  He had 4 different reasons:

1)  There's a short in my wires in the wall.  Not true.

2)  He claimed to know that Bell had a different line going straight upstairs to 1 separate phone jack in my house.  Huh?  No!

3)  Then he said my fax was causing the problem.  I don't have a fax.

4)  And the last thing - my phone's answering system is not cutting off and is causing the problem.  Really?  Even when no one calls and the answering system is not used?  And if it takes a few extra seconds or minutes to disconnect, why does my phone flash all day long?

So, when we didn't buy any of his excuses, he got furious, whipped up the modem he brought, and stormed out of the house, the contractor on his heels.

And somebody loosened the power plug to my modem before leaving, so about an hour later, everything in my house stopped working.  Are they that petty?  They really just want to play games?

I am out of here.  I'm ready to say goodbye to Rogers.  Enough is enough.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THIS is what bothers me.. about well any company, Bell, Rogers or otherwise.

Sure there can be occasional hardware issues, etc.

But when there is hardware, which CAN work, which there are users (like myself) where everything is working fine.  That the hardware itself is fine, as long as things are set up properly, etc.

And that almost always comes down to the TECHS, and their installations.
A bad, in experiences, badly trained, or lazy tech.. can make all the difference.
A GOOD tech.. and things work great.

I completely understand that you would be wanting to change.

I Plan to Stick Around

@2ou21Webacons221 Your ongoing tale of woes is one of the saddest I have heard in a long while.

False and misleading statements from people in the highest political offices has led us to the point where we cannot believe everything that we hear or read. You are either one of the most unfortunate customers or a serious troll. I am going to give the benefit of doubt and assume the former.

Someone in authority who reads this forum should investigate to make sure that the techs involved are "educated", even if you no longer stay with Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know how to prove to you I'm not a troll.  I don't blame you for being skeptical, no one would believe this story, but it can't be made up.  Let me explain my experiences with Rogers. First, complaints about the original tech that installed Ignite tv/phone/internet in my house:

1.  He changed the name on my WiFi account without telling me....let me figure it out for myself.
2.   Told me I needed 2 remotes to operate tv.  I wasn't going to accept that, but he said there were no other codes for my tv.  That turned out to be a lie as I was able to program 1 remote with the help of someone from Tech Dept.
3.  When he turned on the tv, I told him the font was too small and I couldn't see it.  He ignored my comment.  Never bothered to tell me I could adjust the size in Settings.
4.  As he was connecting my phone to the modem, my phone started to flash "in use", which I asked him about.  He shrugged.  Played with some wires, flashing stopped, and he ran out of the house.  That is still the issue to this day.

Need more complaints about Rogers?  Here we go:

Every time I make a change to my account I got 7 pages of explanation mailed to me.  Rogers explained they usually email it to a client, but I don't have an email address on file.  Every time I talk to someone at Rogers I ask them to check my file to see if my email address is there.  Yup.  How come they can find it?

And every time they mail to my address, they won't include my P.O. Box, no matter how many times they're told.

The last change I made to my account was switching to Ignite, so I again was mailed 7 pages of explanation.  They sent this to me 4 times!  That's the way to save paper, Rogers.

And they always quote the wrong account number.  They have quoted 3 different account numbers so far!

Should I have confidence in this company? 

I am not a troll, but I am a very frustrated Rogers customer who is fed up with this treatment.  And I still haven't heard from "anyone in authority who reads this forum".