Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

221Webacons221,

You have tried my suggestions and i truly appreciate that. From the info you gather it does NOT Sound like a problem with the inside wiring at this time so theres no need to test the jacks as others have mentioned. So the only w possible problems is a faulty ignite modem or a faulty cordless phone system. Yes cordless phones can go faulty.so if u get the ignite replaced it *mite* solve the issue we dont know et but best of luck.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Guys i asked 221Webacons221 to plug the cordless phone base directly in the ignite which bypasses the inside wiring jacks and she still had the problem. This is why i dont wanna get too technical and confuse the op even more and mention unnecessary things like bell. Its either a bad ignite modem or bad cordless phone system.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all:

I'm sorry, I am not ignoring you, I am just so fed up of all this.  I really needed a day off.

Pauly thank you so much for trying so hard to help me.  I have decided this gets fixed one way or another.  I am taking my cordless telephone set to my sister's house to try tomorrow.  If it works well there, I will ask Rogers to replace my modem and see if that helps.  I seriously think we're out of options.

Thank you all so much for hanging in there with me, I really appreciate it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221 out of curiosity, what city do you live in?  

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink:

I'm in our fair country's capital, Ottawa.  Smiley Tongue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, me too, West Ottawa that is.  Keep us informed on the cordless phone testing and progress on a request for a modem swap.  Don't know why the last tech didn't swap the modem while he was there.  It might be time for a house call, to see if I can sort some of this out.  If so, we can work out the details via private message thru this forum.  I'll let you know how to use the forum messaging if you're interested in a house call.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi again everyone:

I'm sure you're all waiting for the final outcome after trying my cordless phone set at my sister's.  IT WORKED FINE!!!  I was there for hours today, tried calling my cordless from my cell phone, went through fine.  Tried calling my cell from my cordless, no problem.  And my sister has the Ignite system in her house too, so there.  I'm sure most of you were betting on my phones being the problem and, hey, even I was convinced my phone was faulty.  But WOOHOO!!! we were all wrong!

So my next step is to call Rogers and tell them to send a tech to install a new modem.....one that works.  I will not let anyone in my door without a new modem.  It has to work, right?

I have to thank each and every one of you for standing by me, for all your hints and advice.  I would not have made it this far without all your help.  So thank you, thank you, thank you!

I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink, that is an incredibly generous offer to pay a house call, but I think we might have finally discovered the culprit.  I've been questioning too why not one tech ever thought to try installing a new modem, but from my experience, no one seems to have much initiative.  That's why I said I would tell Rogers to send a new modem.  Fingers crossed.  But thank you so much.

I've Been Around

I switched from Rogers cable to Rogers Ignite at the beginning of the year and have had nothing but problems since it was installed.  Main issues are sound cutting out,  video freezing, black screen system freezing on the guide and being booted out of a show when watching Netflix and not being able to exit from the system without a reboot of the set-top box.  I have 5 ignite boxes and all experience the same problems.  The modem  constantly dropped and had a red light each morning.  First, I left a message with my “Concierge” who never returned my call (what a useless concept).  I then called Tech Support and a technician came out and said I needed a new modem.  After the modem was swapped out, I had the same issues.  Called Tech Support again and the Technician who came out said it was a problem with the set-top box.  This was switched out.  No resolution.  Called Tech Support again and this time the Technician (a different one each time) said I needed to have whole home wi-fi installed (at an additional cost to me monthly).  Again, no fix to the issues.  Called Tech Support yet again and they said a Senior Tech would come out.  The Senior Tech and his sidekick said I had issues with the cable from the street and it needed replacing.  A new cable was also installed in the house.  He also hard-wired the set-top box directly to the modem.   He did say the whole home wi-fi was not necessary and removed it.  Bottom line is that the issues have still not been resolved, and are actually getting worse.  Yesterday I had to reboot my set-top box every hour to get my tv unfrozen.  Another tv also had a black screen when turned on and also had to be rebooted.  Bottom line I am very frustrated and am not getting the service I am paying for.  Rogers Ignite is definitely not ready for “prime time”.

I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 wrote:

I was there for hours today, tried calling my cordless from my cell phone, went through fine.  Tried calling my cell from my cordless, no problem.  And my sister has the Ignite system in her house too, so there.  I'm sure most of you were betting on my phones being the problem and, hey, even I was convinced my phone was faulty.  But WOOHOO!!! we were all wrong!

So my next step is to call Rogers and tell them to send a tech to install a new modem.....one that works.  I will not let anyone in my door without a new modem.  It has to work, right?

You are on the way, but hold the celebration until the whole system is working for hours.

Part of the challenge in diagnosing is the technical troubleshooting and symptom analysis based on accurate descriptions of activities tried. This is where a non-technical person can inadvertently mislead a technician. An example (maybe not the best), is your comment above that you successfully called your cordless phone from your cellphone. More accurately, you called your sisters telephone number and your cordless phone, connected to her telephone system rang and was usable. Hopefully you get me point.

All indications are that the Ignite router is the problem, and I would recommend a three step process of verification:

1. Get the new box installed and configured. First verify that the internet is working, the wifi userid and password are correctly defined, the TV/remote is operating normally. Only then should your cordless phone be directly connected to the router. Verify that it stays active for more than 10 minutes.

2. Then disconnect the cordless phone, connect the router to your home telephone system, and confirm that your wired telephone is working and active for more than 10 minutes.

3. Finally, connect your cordless phone to the telephone system, and hopefully everything will continue to be working normally.

If #1 is not successful then there is a provisioning problem (should not be a router problem).

If #2 is not successful then there is a problem with your telephone wiring or cordless phone.

Yes, this is asking a lot for you to negotiate with the tech, but it is better to spend the time up front than have him leave for the problem to reappear.

ps. Hopefully you will get the replacement router installed in the location of your choice.