Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

***Update***

The "chronic tech" visited today, checked things out and told us wires had been twisted in the wall.  And instead of being connected separately to voice out and voice in, it was only configured for voice out, so my phone could not receive calls.  Oh, and I do not have an alarm system so this should have been a very straight forward installation.  Please excuse my terminology here, I am not a technician.

Anyway, I believed him that our problem was finally solved.  He stayed in our house talking for a while with us and the phone never flashed "in use".  Of course, 10 minutes after he left, my phones again started flashing "in use".  My husband called a Rogers Concierge (don't even get me started on that mis-title) and told him to get the tech back, that it was not fixed.  And by the way, he called from the home corded phone, never heard it ring after dialing, then there was no sound like it went dead and, just before he was going to hang up, the concierge answered.  So the call went through, it just didn't sound like it had.  (The tech thinks this is totally normal too.)

The tech came back a little while later and of course he played with all the phones in the house and declared them working fine.  We tried to explain to him that, when the main cordless phone is first plugged into the wall jack, or is taken off the cradle to use, or played with in any way, it has a dial tone and can make calls, but if you wait a few minutes, the red light will flash "in use" indicating there is a problem.  If anyone tries to call that phone, it will not connect.  I have used my cell phone to call my home tel. number and it doesn't even ring.  As a matter of fact, no phones in my house ring, so it cannot be the problem of my cordless phone.  But yes, my cordless phone still has a dial tone and, when we use it to make a phone call, the call might go through or  it might not.

So of course, even after me telling him that, the tech takes the cordless phone off the cradle and uses it to call his own phone.  No problem.  Then he hangs up the cordless phone and calls it from his phone and it rings.  Of course!  It hasn't had time to start flashing yet!  I try again to explain to him that sometimes you need to wait up to 30 mins. for the phone to start flashing and then it cannot receive calls.  He kept saying there was no problem now and all was fine.  I had to explain the problem 4 times, told him to just sit down and wait for it to start flashing.  He said he had another tech call to make, but I reminded him he hadn't finished with our call.  So, bottom line, he just kept saying there was no problem now, everything was working fine because it wasn't flashing.  So of course he left, and of course 10 mins. after leaving, the phone flashes.

My husband called the Concierge back, said he wasn't discussing this anymore and told him to open a ticket with IT/2nd level.  Period.  Ball's in their court.  No word back from Rogers yet.  I am exhausted.

I hope I explained this well enough and thank you each and every one for all your help.
I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 

Thanks for the update!  I presume that the "TEL 1" port on the XB6 modem is now connected to your in-home phone wiring.

Here's a very simple test that you need to do:  Unplug the cable from the "TEL 1" port on the XB6 and also make sure that nothing is connected to the "TEL 2" port either. 

At this point, there should be no voltage on the phone lines and either a "No service" or an "Extension in use" indicator should turn on.  If it does not, that could be a problem.

Go to every telephone that is connected to a wall jack in your home, take it off-hook, and check for a dial tone.  If you hear a dial tone, it's coming from something other than the Rogers modem; that is a big problem (your in-home phone wiring is connected to another active telephone service) and that is something that needs to be fixed.  If you hear nothing, that's a good sign... but hang up again, wait a few seconds, then try taking the phone off-hook again just to make sure that the line is really dead.

If you don't hear any dial tone, you can plug the cable back into the "TEL 1" port.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello 221Webacons221,

it sounds like you always try connecting the rogers ignite modem to your inside wiring jack whenever this happens.  Part of solving a problem is trying to troubleshoot it further by removing things from the equation which can affect the issue.

What  I STRONGLY recommend is to simply connect your main cordless phone base station directly into the ignite modem, and leave it there for an entire day.  Only the cordless phone will work, so you will not be able to use the corded phones, but remember, we are testing something so the minor inconvenience is worth figuring out what's going on.   you should have NO WIRES from the rogers modem going into any wall jack, the rj11 tel wire should strictly go from the ignite modem tel jack into the tel jack on the back of your cordless base station, use your cordless phone for a full day and see if the problem is eliminated.   so try talking on the phone, try leaving it for 30 mins to see if the dial tone goes away (and if the in use light comes on)  or so.

See if this solves your problem, if you can go for an entire day with this setup and report no issues with loss of dialtone, then you know the cordless phone is working and the ignite modem is working.

Now the following day if you connect the ignite modem to one of your wall jacks to backfeed the signal into all your existing wall jacks, and it works but it stops working after 30 mins or what not, then you definitely have a problem with your inside wiring, its either shorted out somewhere, or has high resistance on the line, or its touching another wire, or there's an intermittent disconnection somewhere like a broken wire or a bad contact or something.

This is what I have been feering what might be happening to you,  yes it can be fixed if this is what the actual problem is, but it can NOT be fixed by rogers, snice the inside wiring is the responsibility of the home owner, you will need to hire a independent telecommunications technician to fix it which costs $$$ or simply bypass your existing internal wiring and use a cordless phone that includes multiple handsets.  I used to have one of these its pretty neat, you have one master base station which connects to the ignite modem tel jack then to the base station tel jack, which completely bypasses the internal wiring of  your house, then you have up to 4 handsets you can put one in your bed room, one in your kitchen, one in your family room, one in your basement.   when someone calls, they ALL ring, its convenient, plus the flexibility of walking around with no wires.  they are also extremely affordable too.

I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 

I concur with @Pauly 's suggestions.

As for my previous post, did I misunderstand or did you say that you unplugged the telephone connections to the XB6 and still got a dial tone on your phones from somewhere?  When you connect your cordless phone base station directly to the XB6, please also take your wired phone (that's plugged into a wall jack) off hook and confirm that you don't get a dial tone.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you G and Pauly for sticking with me.  I decided to try Pauly's suggestion first, even though I had tried this in the beginning.  Here's what happened:

I plugged the main cordless phone directly into the modem.  (I have a cordless phone set of 2)  The corded phone does not work, there is no dial tone and the screen says "Check phone cord".

In 10 mins. the main cordless phone started flashing that the phone was in use.  I called it from my cell phone and it didn't even ring.  Waited 10 more mins. and got dial tone, and was able to call my cell phone.  I made a couple of phone calls and then I left it alone for more than 30 mins. and the main phone started flashing and the cordless extension's screen says "Line in use".  Also neither cordless phone in the set has a dial tone.   A few minutes later, I got a dial tone and I could make a call.

I waited 5 more mins. and the main phone started flashing again.  It had no dial tone and, when I called from my cell, it didn't even ring.

At the end of the day, cordless extension has no dial tone.  The main cordless phone stopped flashing but screen says "Line in use".  But it has a dial tone and I could make a call, but 2 mins. after hanging up from my short call, the flashing starts again and I have no dial tone again.  So what does this mean?

When I tried this right after the problem started, at the suggestion of the Tech Dept. on the phone, he said it was Roger's problem and they would have to send a tech to fix it.  Could one of those techs have damaged the modem, or even my phone?

So I will leave it as is for now and try plugging the modem into the wall phone jack tomorrow as you suggested.

And no, sorry G, I did not ever say that I unplugged the telephone connections to the XB6 and still got a dial tone on my phones from somewhere.

I hope I explained it well enough and that it gives you a clue to something.  Thanks again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221 wrote:
 And no, sorry G, I did not ever say that I unplugged the telephone connections to the XB6 and still got a dial tone on my phones from somewhere.

In post 173 you did say 

Yes by using the word "works" I do indeed mean that my phone has a dial tone and is able to make and receive calls when no phone is plugged into my Ignite modem.  

Hence our confusion.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 

First, please accept my apologies for my misunderstanding and for any confusion that I may have caused.  I also totally empathize with your situation, and I truly know how frustrating that this has been.  However, I have every confidence that this will all get sorted out.  I'm glad to hear that Rogers is sending out another tech.  Getting this fixed will likely require replacing the XB6 modem and then taking baby steps, one by one, making sure that everything working properly after each and every step.  Right now, it's frustrating because we're not entirely sure of what is and what is not working.

(FYI, the XB6 is providing the entire "phone service" that your phones see, including the dial tone that you hear, so once the service is provisioned, all of the remaining testing and troubleshooting is local to your home.)

Once the Rogers tech gets a new XB6 installed, he (forgive the use of this pronoun) should first make sure that everything is working correctly with his own telephone.

I would also suggest that you gather every one of the phones that you use in your house, and test each one out again individually by plugging directly into the modem.  If anything is acting strangely, you'll need to troubleshoot.  Some of the problems that you mentioned could even be caused by a bad RJ11 phone cable.

Next, the tech should do a quick double-check of your in-home telephone wiring.  If everything looks okay and is cleanly connected in the basement, he can then connect the XB6 to your house wiring.  Hopefully he'll have a simple tester that can use to verify that the line at each jack is to spec and verify that he can get a dial tone with his own phone.

At this point, we'll by now have hopefully confirmed that the XB6 is working, that each one of your phones is working (individually) when plugged into the XB6, and that you don't have any obvious problems with your house wiring.

The last step is to plug your phones into the house phones jacks, one by one, and testing that everything is still working after every step.  It's a tedious process but hopefully everything will end up working well again.

Wishing you all the best of luck!

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@221Webacons221 wrote:

In post 173 you did say 

Yes by using the word "works" I do indeed mean that my phone has a dial tone and is able to make and receive calls when no phone is plugged into my Ignite modem.  

Hence our confusion.

Thanks.  Glad to hear it wasn't just me.  Smiley Very Happy  If something is (or had been) putting an extra 48V-DC on the line, it could certainly fry the electronics on the XB6's ATA, and possibly damage @221Webacons221 's telephones as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not only that, but from @221Webacons221 's post 173 (and perhaps even an earlier post) many of us thought @221Webacons221 may somehow still be connected to Bell. I'm assuming that what's really happening is that the Rogers phone modem (XB6) is actually connected to the home phone system "backfeeding" the various jacks in the home allowing for a dialtone/calls on phones connected to those jacks.

If the last sentence is true and those phones work properly 100% of the time, then I would recommend using only the house' phone jacks and plug nothing into the XB6.  The base station for the cordless phone could be plugged into any of the home jacks.  That phone base station would, of course, also need electrical power.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 

I don't subscribe to any Bell services at the moment but I still have battery & dial tone on one of the pairs coming into my house.  (This is fairly common; that line won't get disconnected until the port gets reallocated.)  If the Rogers tech messed up and didn't disconnect (or had accidentally reconnected) the incoming Bell line... well, that's not good.  The tech needs to double-check that the Bell lines are indeed disconnected.  Even if Bell shut down or disconnected the port, there could still be a few km of wire running to the JWI, and that isn't good either because it will throw the in-home phone wiring out of spec.