Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

Ooops, sorry to add more confusion, Bplayer.

I have a cordless phone and a corded phone.  If either one is plugged into the Ignite modem, it does not work.  But if I unplug any phone, let's say the cordless phone from the Ignite modem, and do not plug another phone into it, the corded phone works fine from any phone jack in the house, or vice versa.  In other words, my home phone system works fine if there's no phone plugged into the modem. Does this make sense? This is why I'm wondering why any phone has to be plugged into the Ignite modem.  Maybe my phones should be distanced from this new modem, that's why I suggested moving the modem upstairs away from my phones.  I hope this is clearer.

I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 wrote:

Ooops, sorry to add more confusion, Bplayer.

I have a cordless phone and a corded phone.  If either one is plugged into the Ignite modem, it does not work.  But if I unplug any phone, let's say the cordless phone from the Ignite modem, and do not plug another phone into it, the corded phone works fine from any phone jack in the house, or vice versa.  In other words, my home phone system works fine if there's no phone plugged into the modem. Does this make sense? This is why I'm wondering why any phone has to be plugged into the Ignite modem.  Maybe my phones should be distanced from this new modem, that's why I suggested moving the modem upstairs away from my phones.  I hope this is clearer.

Not making sense. Perhaps your terminology is creating the confusion. The implication of "works" is dial tone heard and the ability to make and receive calls. Is this what you mean by "works", or are you suggesting that they used to work prior to the Ignite install? If there is no connection between the Ignite router and you telephone system and your phone work then that is a completely different situation.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sorry, Bplayer, but I don't know how else to explain it.  My bad.

Yes by using the word "works" I do indeed mean that my phone has a dial tone and is able to make and receive calls when no phone is plugged into my Ignite modem.  I only noticed this recently after trying everything I could think of.  At first I thought it was necessary to have a phone connected to the Ignite modem in order for this system to work, but I know other people whose phones are nowhere near their modems and have no problems.  That's why I tried unplugging from the modem and discovered that my other phone works fine.  So yes, even more confusing.

I will mention this to the tech tomorrow and see what happens.  Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been following this saga. It's so intriguing. The setup in my home is that the Arris gateway (which is basically a cable modem . wireless router) is connected to the Rogers outside service via the COAX cable ... just like the good olde daze a la NextBox for cable TV. Each of my TVs is connected to an "Ignite TV box" (set top box) via an HDMI cable. These set top boxes talk to the Arris gateway wirelessly. I also have the EERO hub to extend the Wi-Fi signal. My smart devices connect to the Arris gateway to get out to the Internet.  For faster access, some of my devices are wired via RJ45 Ethernet CAT 6 cables, instead of via Wi-Fi.

All my phones (corded and cordless) are plugged into the RJ11 jacks in the wall. None of my phones is plugged into the Arris gateway. Be that as it may, the TEL 1 port on the Arris gateway is also plugged into an RJ11 wall jack to enable the voice traffic to flow through the twisted pairs of copper telephone wires running through my house. Hope this helps, rather than hurt.

Note that if you have a security system that uses a wired phone line (instead of GSM wireless) to call out to the monitoring station, make sure the tech knows about this.

I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 wrote:

Yes by using the word "works" I do indeed mean that my phone has a dial tone and is able to make and receive calls when no phone is plugged into my Ignite modem.  I only noticed this recently after trying everything I could think of.  At first I thought it was necessary to have a phone connected to the Ignite modem in order for this system to work, but I know other people whose phones are nowhere near their modems and have no problems.  That's why I tried unplugging from the modem and discovered that my other phone works fine.  So yes, even more confusing.

Ah ha. What you have just stated explains a lot. If you have nothing plugged into the Ignite router and your phone is working then you are getting phone service from somewhere else. You say that the old telephone modem was disconnected then maybe you have Bell phone service. This is the first mystery that must be solved.

So if your already have phone service and connect another phone line into the home system you would be disrupting both services, and could have damaged the Ignite router in the process.

I Plan to Stick Around

@221Webacons221 wrote:

This was the reason why I suggested connecting your phones directly to the XB6, on a single port using a splitter.

Normally, if you measure the voltage on the tip and ring leads of an analog phone line, it should read 48V(DC).  When the phone goes off-hook, the measured voltage will drop significantly and typically read below 10V.

When you mentioned that the off-hook/line-in-use indicator on one of your phones was behaving strangely, my first thought was that it was likely due to the voltages on the phone line being out of spec.  It's also possible that the phone could be defective... but more likely an indicator of some other problem with your in-home phone wiring, or possibly a connection to a Bell line coming into your home that either didn't get disconnected or that accidentally got reconnected.

Right from the very beginning, the Rogers tech should have verified that the line was dead (no battery/dial tone on any of your wall jacks) before connecting to the XB6.  When you reported that your phone service was not working correctly, the tech should have performed a line test, with the proper test equipment, to make sure that the line was to spec.  If the voltage on the line was WAY out of range, the first thing that he/she should have double-checked was that the incoming Bell line/previous phone service was disconnected.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bplayer wrote:

@221Webacons221 wrote:

Ah ha. What you have just stated explains a lot. If you have nothing plugged into the Ignite router and your phone is working then you are getting phone service from somewhere else. You say that the old telephone modem was disconnected then maybe you have Bell phone service. This is the first mystery that must be solved.

So if your already have phone service and connect another phone line into the home system you would be disrupting both services, and could have damaged the Ignite router in the process.

That is a great point.  I think the op may be a bit confused about how it works.  The ignite modem is where the phone signal is generated from, it generates the dial tone, you plug your phone into it  if you have existing phone jacks throughout your house you can give them dial tone as well by connecting the Tel1 port of the ignite modem into the existing wall jack, this will theoretically "feed" the dialtone on all the wall jacks in your house provided there is no faults with the wiring, sometimes a fault can exist and you dont notice it or its more present with your new phone company and was not an issue with your old phone company or provider.  its just the way it works.

so when you feed the modem into your phone jack, theoretically other jacks on your home will then have "dialtone" you can make or receive calls when a corded phone is connected. 

let us know how it goes

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221  this just keeps getting more interesting as time goes by.  When you switched over to the Ignite TV service, in terms of the phone service, one of two things should have happened:

1.  If you had Bell as your phone provider, and you wanted to keep using your existing phone number, Rogers would have had to bring that number across from Bell.  That requires Rogers to cancel your Bell phone service on some specified date so that the phone number was accessible to Rogers.  In terms of what the installation tech can do, if that number porting from Bell to Rogers wasn't completed, the tech would not have been able to complete the phone portion of the installation as the phone service was still provided by Bell and would have required the existing phone wiring to remain in place, so that your wall telephone jacks would still have been active, but, the modem phone port would not.  If this is the case, the tech should have picked up on this situation and arranged for a future cut over date for the phone number and completion of the phone installation with the XB6 modem, which you now have. 

When that cut over is complete, the two wires to the external Bell system are cut or removed, leaving your internal phone wiring available for connection to any other phone system, which the XB6 modem provides. 

2.  If you previously had a Rogers Home Phone, then the phone number is switched internally over to the new service and the existing Home Phone modem is removed.  When that modem is removed, the telephone cable to that modem can remain, but, its useless as there isn't anything to connect to.  This leaves your internal phone network available for any other phone system, which the XB6 modem provides.  

Usually when the installation tech installs the Ignite TV service, any other Rogers modems are removed.  That includes the internet modem, any Nextboxes you might have unless you owned them, and the Home Phone Modem.  If your previous service was with Rogers, its pretty hard to understand how the installation tech missed the step that removes the Home Phone modem.  Normally that modem is located near or at the point where a cable splitter was previously installed.  That splitter would have fed the internet modem, Nextboxes and the Home Phone Modem.  The splitter would been removed and replaced with an F-81 barrel connector to connect the external Rogers Cable with the modem cable.  At the same time, the Home Phone modem should have been removed as its usually co-located with the splitter.  

So, that's what should have happened.  Question is, why didn't that happen?  The end result has been nothing but confusion.  

If the modem was connected to the telephone jack on the wall plate, there is a good chance that the modem's telephone jack might have been damaged.  It all depends on who your original phone provider was and how the house telephone wiring connected to their phone system.  I'd ask the incoming tech to swap the modem, if he or she happens to have another one on hand.  

So, keep posting on your progress .....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In post 138 @221Webacons221  stated:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-Several-Issues/m-p/446824#M3065

"I was hoping the modem could have been installed upstairs where the Internet modem was but no, it was installed downstairs. There was a little square modem downstairs which was replaced with this new modem. Why is anyone surprised that I don't have any working phone line when nothing is plugged into a phone jack? I'm obviously not a tech but it seems obvious to me."

The installation should have been straight forward, since it appears there was a Rogers phone modem that was simply swapped out, but the posts from @221Webacons221 over the past 4-5 pages have provided us with conflicting and confusing information. This can certainly happen when one is not technically knowledgeable... I only hope that the next technician does a better job of troubleshooting this problem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I consider myself fortunate.  My Ignite TV service (so far) has been working well.  My Rogers install tech was fantastic when it came to the cable Internet installation part.  However, he was very weak in two critical areas:  Telephony and Wi-Fi troubleshooting.

I've shared a few aspects of the Wi-Fi issues that I've had to resolve myself.  (A "weak signal" problem that the tech wanted to fix by installing a range extender that was actually NOT a weak signal problem at all.  Adding a range extender would have made things even worse.  Unbeknownst to us, and further complicating troubleshooting, disabling Wi-Fi on the XB6 doesn't actually disable Wi-Fi completely... and that was also causing interference with my mesh network.)

On the voice side, my house has structured cabling.  I could see a panicked expression on the tech's face because he clearly had no clue what to do to hook up the XB6.  I also have an alarm system.  He breathed a sigh of relief when I told him that he didn't have to do anything.  I already had the correct patch cable in place and all that he needed to do was provision the voice service and plug an RJ11 cable into the back of the XB6.

The tech didn't test the alarm system.  I did that myself afterwards, and had a "plan b" and "plan c" if any problems should arise with the Rogers phone service.  The alarm system was able to seize the voice line and communicate with the alarm monitoring service.  The alarm also released the line and I was able to get a dial tone.  However, when I tried calling the alarm company to confirm that everything was working okay, I was initially unable to complete the call; it didn't even ring.  Not good.  Had the alarm ever triggered accidentally, I would not have been able to call the alarm company and they might not have been able to call me... not on that line, anyway.

Fortunately, when I called tech support, I got a great support agent.  I passed on all of the technical details; she said, "Thanks.  I'll have someone have a look at this."  Shortly thereafter, I noticed that Rogers had made some changes to the provisioning and things appeared to be fixed.  It was my first time calling tech support since I became an Ignite TV customer and they made a great first impression.

On a positive note, the install tech did do a GREAT job ensuring that the Internet service was set up correctly.  The levels were all optimal and the Technicolor XB6 was showing very, VERY few uncorrectable codewords.  To his credit, he also didn't leave without first verifying that the Xi6 set-top boxes worked wired.  If all that wasn't done right, I would have had all kinds of problems... so, I'm still happy with how things went and how things turned out.

On the other hand, this could have also just as easily resulted in yet another problematic installation.