Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

Hi again 57! 

I'm just curious, I've been thinking about what you said about phone provisioning.  I had Rogers cable before they installed Ignite, does that mean my phone was provisioned for cable?  If I went back to cable would my phone work fine?  I know nobody worked on the phone box outside my house when Ignite was installed, but they did when cable was hooked up.

Also, the strange thing is, when an extension is in use, my main phone has a red light that stays lit to indicate someone is talking.  Now, with my phone problem the light flashes red slowly, about every 4 seconds, it does not stay lit.  Weird.

I am tempted to completely undo the Ignite modem and see if my phones work.

I never wanted to switch from cable to Ignite TV but I was forced by an increase that doubled my Rogers bill.  It seems they really are desperate to get everyone on Ignite.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221 when you switched over to the Ignite TV service, you were taken out of the previous system that configured your tv and phone services, all of which ran thru separate cable modems.  When you did that, your current phone number was brought forward to the new Ignite service.  If you wanted to return to the previous service, Rogers has indicated that you would lose your home phone number.  I see that as a measure to discourage customers from returning to a service that works, versus a new service that is causing problems.   Maybe @RogersTim can comment on that policy as it currently stands.  If that policy still stands, that puts the customer between a rock and a hard place, can't go back and going forward isn't working at this point.  

When you think about someone working on your phone system outside of your home, you have to think on a much bigger scale these days.  We're really talking about someone in an office, Toronto, Moncton, Quebec City, or others, ensuring that your account is properly connected to the tv, internet and Home Phone hardware systems thru their computer servers, which in turn connects the correct services to and thru your modem.  The actual physical modem installation and its connections are a minor part of the overall installation process these days.  Just about everything else is computer driven, done by someone who is located several miles or several hundreds of miles down the road.

For what its worth, going forward, the move to newer modems with their updated Docsis 3.1 capability will improve service for everyone.  Getting there is probably going to be a little painful at times, but, the end state should result in better internet based service for all customers (in theory 🙂 ).

My personal opinion at this point is that there is little use for a tech to show up at your doorstep without resolving the backend and possible modem configuration issues first.  At that point, it should be very easy to confirm that the modem is working properly, leading to connecting the modem to your home phone network.  If the tech doesn't do his or her homework first, then he or she needs to know exactly who to call to sort out the issues, otherwise, its just a waste of time.  Get the modem and its services working first, then go from there.  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@221Webacons221  If I may throw my 2 cents into the conversation, due to the complexity of your issues, you might want to insist that they send an actual Rogers tech, and not one of their often poorly trained 3rd party contractors.  Not only will he/she be better trained and more experienced with the system not working as expected, he/she will likely also have better and more direct contact to whichever technical department that may need to get involved.  Nothing against the contractors per se, but many of them just don't have the knowledge and training that the Rogers techs have.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@221Webacons221 wrote:
1. I had Rogers cable before they installed Ignite, does that mean my phone was provisioned for cable? 
2. If I went back to cable would my phone work fine? 
3. I know nobody worked on the phone box outside my house when Ignite was installed, but they did when cable was hooked up.

1.  Your phone was provisioned differently before. As mentioned by @Datalink  once you went to Ignite, all this changed at the head office, which can be a great distance from your home. (similar to becoming a new customer)

2. Again, as mentioned by @Datalink : (and in many threads in this forum) you will not be allowed to go back to your old digital cable package. If you decide you don't want Ignite, you will basically be starting anew with Rogers and may lose your phone number.  This is the price you pay for switching to Ignite, which should have been researched thoroughly before you made the switch.

3. Rogers doesn't have "phone boxes" (like Bell does for their twisted pair (old) phone customers) so I have no idea what you're talking about here.  You may be talking about the Rogers (green?) cable box, which provides cable TV, internet and home phone) and yes, Rogers would have not needed to do anything at that box when you switched to Ignite since you were already connected by cable for your services. However, when you were set up with Ignite, someone, somewhere had to enter the appropriate configuration information into a computer for TV, Internet and Phone and here is where I believe they make a provisioning error for your phone.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@221Webacons221 wrote:
Also, the strange thing is, when an extension is in use, my main phone has a red light that stays lit to indicate someone is talking.  Now, with my phone problem the light flashes red slowly, about every 4 seconds, it does not stay lit.  Weird.

This should definitely NOT be happening.

I also have a multi-line cordless phone system as well as a Nortel Vista corded phone.  If I take one of my cordless phones off-hook, the red light on the Vista phone turns on solid.

Do you have a telephone splitter adapter (something like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commercial-electric-2-way-telephone-splitter-white/1000723599 ) that you can plug into the "TEL 1" port on the XB6 modem/gateway?  If so, try using that to connect your wired phone and cordless phone base station directly.  (...and make sure that nothing is plugged into "TEL 2".)  If the red light on your main phone turns on solid when you take the other phone off-hook, that will confirm that your telephones and your XB6 are all working fine... and that there is still a problem with the phone wiring in your house.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@221Webacons221 when you switched over to the Ignite TV service, you were taken out of the previous system that configured your tv and phone services, all of which ran thru separate cable modems.  When you did that, your current phone number was brought forward to the new Ignite service.  If you wanted to return to the previous service, Rogers has indicated that you would lose your home phone number.  I see that as a measure to discourage customers from returning to a service that works, versus a new service that is causing problems.   Maybe @RogersTim can comment on that policy as it currently stands.  If that policy still stands, that puts the customer between a rock and a hard place, can't go back and going forward isn't working at this point.  

My personal opinion at this point is that there is little use for a tech to show up at your doorstep without resolving the backend and possible modem configuration issues first.  At that point, it should be very easy to confirm that the modem is working properly, leading to connecting the modem to your home phone network.  If the tech doesn't do his or her homework first, then he or she needs to know exactly who to call to sort out the issues, otherwise, its just a waste of time.  Get the modem and its services working first, then go from there.  

Thanks again Datalink:

How is Rogers able to force people to stay with a service they don't want or like?  Does CRTC know about this?  Now I'm really fuming!

I spoke to yet another tech on the phone this morning, who said she was going to check the modem.  That was 3 hours ago and I still haven't heard back!!  Such incompetency.  I also told them I need a phone provisioning expert to fix my phone but no one listens.  I am completely out of patience and all I know is I WILL NOT pay for this lousy "service".

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi fwd1955:

How would I know if they send an "actual Rogers tech"?  Every tech that has shown up at my door was driving a Rogers truck, so I assume they are actually a Rogers tech.  And each and every one of them is very badly trained and knows nothing.  And meanwhile it's day 9 and I still don't have a home phone.  Yes, I am a little frustrated.

Thanks for trying to help.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

2. Again, as mentioned by @Datalink : (and in many threads in this forum) you will not be allowed to go back to your old digital cable package. If you decide you don't want Ignite, you will basically be starting anew with Rogers and may lose your phone number.  This is the price you pay for switching to Ignite, which should have been researched thoroughly before you made the switch.

3.  However, when you were set up with Ignite, someone, somewhere had to enter the appropriate configuration information into a computer for TV, Internet and Phone and here is where I believe they make a provisioning error for your phone.

Hi again 57:

When you say "This is the price you pay for switching to Ignite, which should have been researched thoroughly before you made the switch", are you referring to Rogers who should have researched their product before putting it out there, or are you referring to me researching Ignite?  If you're saying I didn't do my homework I take offense as I didn't "choose" Ignite, I was forced into it because of a Roger's cable bill that magically doubled in size.  And guess what the only solution was?  Yup, Ignite.

And yes I have to agree that someone at Rogers made a provisioning error in the first place but I can't get anyone to take responsibility, OR get me a provisioning expert.

The saga continues....

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi G:

No, this should not be happening, and yet here we are.......Still.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try that and the red light on my main phone stays solidly lit when the other phone is in use.  When not in use, the main phone flashes red slowly.  Also my corded phone flashes that a line is in use when it isn't.  This whole system is messed up and no one can fix it?  I have tried everything I can think of and everything that was suggested here, but no solution.  I am done.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi 221Webacons221

If the truck says 'Rogers', and not 'Joe's Cabling for Rogers', it should be a Rogers tech.  Their ID should also indicate for whom they actually work.  And if you ask, they should be obliged to answer truthfully.  So, if they have been sending actual Rogers techs, they are even more poorly trained that I thought.  It's a good thing they are supposedly sending a supervisor next time.  As others have mentioned, it sounds like your issues are with the set up of your account and services rather than the actual local hardware.  Good luck getting this sorted out, keep us posted!