Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

My night time issues have seemed to disappear as well.  Its been 5 days of normal picture quality and fast forwarding!  I hope it lasts.

P.S  I have 150 speed.

P.P.S.S.   If Rogers could add more apps like Prime and Plex it would be perfect!  

I Plan to Stick Around

I still have that issue...
Not as bad but still see how revert back and forth between 1080 and SD quality
I was told that beta firmware is on testing in lab
Hopefully doesn’t break anything else!
I Plan to Stick Around

Was there a change (e.g., reset of the modem, upgrade to speed, ...?) that resulted in the "improvement"? Or was it magic, or good fortune? 

I Plan to Stick Around

I’m still using the same modem and same firmware...
Dont asked how many time I rebooted nub modem 😩
I think what they have done On Rogers side is upgrading their servers so it can handle more IgniteTV users.
And some luck I think !
I Plan to Stick Around

Ditto. My experience in the telecom industry is dated from the 70's into the 2010's. I agree that the basic principles of operation remain, albeit the design and technology have advanced. While no human-made product is perfect, it behooves suppliers to perform comprehensive verification and certification before their products, goods and services are made generally available and charged. Even in this age of agility, Quality of Service is still #1. The consequence affects Customer loyalty and retention.

As Bplayer indicated, I also thought that there may be capacity performance issues, particularly at the backend. But with seasoned service providers like Rogers, I'd expect they have technical experts monitoring those servers, observing the peaks and valleys of demand, and managing the provisioning accordingly. Thus, I'd expect that Rogers to proactively scale their resources accordingly.

However, it would be prudent to take a more holistic approach to check the overall system end-to-end; i.e., between the Rogers backend ops and the Customers. I would expect a "complex web" of components that are woven to deliver the Ignite service: media/streaming servers, local network infrastructure at the Rogers backend, broad network infrastructure from Rogers through its distribution network to the boxes in the 'hood, then to the demarc at the Customer premise, and further on to the modem/router and the TV set top boxes. The bottom line is that the system is as strong as its weakest link.

If, indeed, Rogers is managing their backend ops well, then there could be weak links from there out to us the Customers. When it comes to lags as experienced by many of us, there could be different factors. The delay in delivering video and/or audio signals from Rogers at the backend to us Customers in the frontend could be affected by the speed of the connection. Personally, upgrading from 150mbps to 500mbps has improved the receipt of video and audio signals to my premise. Note the recent reduction in pricing of Rogers' various bundles.

Alas, once data hits the Arris modem/router on the Customer premise then the router has to transmit the signals @ 5GHz to the TV set top boxes. Some of us in this forum have contacted our Concierge (my experience has been relatively positive so far but I have only been an Ignite Customer for a couple months) and were recommended to upgrade our on-premise configuration with the EERO mesh product. Essentially, this chargeable add-on replaces the routing capability of the Arris modem/router as well as acts an a Wi-Fi extender to communicate with the set top boxes and other Wi-Fi devices on the Customer premise. Some of you who went this route may have enabled bridging on the Arris modem/router (10.x.x.x) to pass the routing function to the EERO hub (192.168.x.x) and turned off Wi-Fi on the Arris modem/router. Hence, the Arris modem/router becomes a "dumb" modem. Others who have not bridged the Arris modem/router with the EERO hub, then the Arris continues to perform routing (on the 10.x.x.x LAN). Note that if both the Arris and the EERO accept Wi-Fi signals, then the TV set top boxes could flip between these hubs (10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x LANs).

The moral of this story (i.e., to install the EERO) is that the Arris device may be a weak link in the end-to-end architecture. So if the EERO does resolve the service issues (e.g., lags, freezes) then it should be an integral component of the bundle. Since the bundle includes the first set top box at no charge (subsequent TV boxes @ $5.00 per month), perhaps the bundle should include the EERO hub ($5.99 per month) at no charge instead. NB: I am not yet convinced the EERO mesh is a solution for our problems.

On the other hand, perhaps Rogers should provide a more powerful and capable modem/router than the current Arris device. Ideally, similar to other ISPs, Rogers should deploy a modem/router that has the EERO smarts and also supports more than 2 RJ-45 ports; e.g., HUB 3000.

WARNING: The above comments are my personal thoughts.

I Plan to Stick Around

@wez wrote:

Ditto. My experience in the telecom industry is dated from the 70's into the 2010's. I agree that the basic principles of operation remain, albeit the design and technology have advanced. While no human-made product is perfect, it behooves suppliers to perform comprehensive verification and certification before their products, goods and services are made generally available and charged. Even in this age of agility, Quality of Service is still #1. The consequence affects Customer loyalty and retention.

As Bplayer indicated, I also thought that there may be capacity performance issues, particularly at the backend. But with seasoned service providers like Rogers, I'd expect they have technical experts monitoring those servers, observing the peaks and valleys of demand, and managing the provisioning accordingly. Thus, I'd expect that Rogers to proactively scale their resources accordingly.

However, it would be prudent to take a more holistic approach to check the overall system end-to-end; i.e., between the Rogers backend ops and the Customers. I would expect a "complex web" of components that are woven to deliver the Ignite service: media/streaming servers, local network infrastructure at the Rogers backend, broad network infrastructure from Rogers through its distribution network to the boxes in the 'hood, then to the demarc at the Customer premise, and further on to the modem/router and the TV set top boxes. The bottom line is that the system is as strong as its weakest link.

If, indeed, Rogers is managing their backend ops well, then there could be weak links from there out to us the Customers. When it comes to lags as experienced by many of us, there could be different factors. The delay in delivering video and/or audio signals from Rogers at the backend to us Customers in the frontend could be affected by the speed of the connection. Personally, upgrading from 150mbps to 500mbps has improved the receipt of video and audio signals to my premise. Note the recent reduction in pricing of Rogers' various bundles.

Alas, once data hits the Arris modem/router on the Customer premise then the router has to transmit the signals @ 5GHz to the TV set top boxes. Some of us in this forum have contacted our Concierge (my experience has been relatively positive so far but I have only been an Ignite Customer for a couple months) and were recommended to upgrade our on-premise configuration with the EERO mesh product. Essentially, this chargeable add-on replaces the routing capability of the Arris modem/router as well as acts an a Wi-Fi extender to communicate with the set top boxes and other Wi-Fi devices on the Customer premise. Some of you who went this route may have enabled bridging on the Arris modem/router (10.x.x.x) to pass the routing function to the EERO hub (192.168.x.x) and turned off Wi-Fi on the Arris modem/router. Hence, the Arris modem/router becomes a "dumb" modem. Others who have not bridged the Arris modem/router with the EERO hub, then the Arris continues to perform routing (on the 10.x.x.x LAN). Note that if both the Arris and the EERO accept Wi-Fi signals, then the TV set top boxes could flip between these hubs (10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x LANs).

The moral of this story (i.e., to install the EERO) is that the Arris device may be a weak link in the end-to-end architecture. So if the EERO does resolve the service issues (e.g., lags, freezes) then it should be an integral component of the bundle. Since the bundle includes the first set top box at no charge (subsequent TV boxes @ $5.00 per month), perhaps the bundle should include the EERO hub ($5.99 per month) at no charge instead. NB: I am not yet convinced the EERO mesh is a solution for our problems.

On the other hand, perhaps Rogers should provide a more powerful and capable modem/router than the current Arris device. Ideally, similar to other ISPs, Rogers should deploy a modem/router that has the EERO smarts and also supports more than 2 RJ-45 ports; e.g., HUB 3000.

WARNING: The above comments are my personal thoughts.

agree 100 %

plus eero hardware and  setup must be part of install free of charge.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite support is a joke.  Every time I call it is like the first time.  While there are major (and the list gets longer by the day) problems they continually say that this is new.

Lying to customers seems to be the Rogers way.  I have talked to people from level 1 support up to the President's office and no one seems to have any idea how to fix the problems and worse how to be honest with their customers.

I think everyone on Ignite should stop paying until both the problems are fixed and Rogers owns up to not acknowledging the problems to their customers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@lsheen6212 wrote:

I think everyone on Ignite should stop paying until both the problems are fixed and Rogers owns up to not acknowledging the problems to their customers.

That is an emotional reaction and really bad advise. It is not going to expedite any solution and puts your credit rating and reputation at Rogers at risk. Keep pressuring support and if you feel that it will not get resolved to your satisfaction then find another service provider.

The problems have not been experience at my location for the last week.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Bplayer. Again ... ditto.

Perhaps, per seadooxp30 and your earlier post, Rogers may have tweaked something in the backend recently.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, pitfall21. When I called (earlier this week), I found the bundle pricing has come down. Per your good advice, I got the Crave + HBO at no charge for one year and got the new bundle pricing hence reduced my overall monthly charges as well. It doesn't solve the service problems, but my wallet is happy. The moral of the story is to check Rogers website for deals. Alas, it behooves the Customers to be proactive, rather than the reverse. Ideally, whenever there are price cuts these should be automagically applied to the billings for existing Customers subscribed to those services.