Ignite TV Screen Saver

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV Screen Saver

The amount of power draw from the TV box is minimal.  I leave my computer on 24x7 and a screen saver does not reduce the amount of power draw, the TV box is using the same amount of power regardless of what it's displaying on the screen.  The Ignite TV box has a power saving feature that is disabled by default, the box also can be set to go into standby mode when it detects the TV is turned off, also reducing power.  The screen saver feature has no impact on power draw.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

Whoever made the decision at Rogers to implement this on Ignite TV was not using any common sense.

The screensaver (and everything else about the hardware and software that Ignite TV is based on) was Comcast's doing.  However, Rogers did replace the default screensaver (Landscapes) with their own Ignite TV tips and promos.

Rogers did not develop Ignite TV; they merely deployed an existing solution that had been developed by Comcast over the course of YEARS.  If you look at the support forums for all of Comcast's cable company customers and their own, you will see all of them griping about the same things and asking for the same features to be added.  Comcast also seems to be indifferent and oblivious to feedback, and glacial when it comes to implementing anything that is not on their own roadmap.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is under no obligation to follow anything Comcast is or isn't doing.  Rogers is fully capable of implementing their own updates and improvements.  Just because Comcast doesn't pay attention doesn't mean Rogers has to follow suit!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

Rogers is under no obligation to follow anything Comcast is or isn't doing.  Rogers is fully capable of implementing their own updates and improvements.  Just because Comcast doesn't give a . doesn't mean Rogers has to follow suit!

Rogers has some control as to how Ignite TV is provisioned, the Apps that get loaded on our set-top boxes, and they apply their branding.  However, they are constrained by whatever the X1 platform can and cannot do.  Comcast is the vendor and Rogers is their customer.

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/rogers-partners-with-comcast-to-bring-rogers-customers-x1-next-g...

https://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/rogers-partners-with-comcast-to-bring-roger...

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Then Rogers and all other providers using X1 should be demanding this feature improvement from Comcast!  It’s absolutely ridiculous not to have an option to disable the screen saver when everyone on every service using it complains about it!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

Then Rogers and all other providers using X1 should be demanding this feature improvement from Comcast!  It’s absolutely ridiculous not to have an option to disable the screen saver when everyone on every service using it complains about it!

FYI, here's a thread in Comcast's support forum:

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/what-is-the-point-of-the-screen-saver/602dae46c5375f08cd...

Rogers can open a support ticket with Comcast but if that ticket gets closed as "Invalid" or "Won't fix", there is not a whole lot that they can do.  I also have no idea whether Rogers is even interested in making this change let alone escalating it.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

My point is if all providers using X1 demand this the more likely it is to happen. The more squeaky wheels the better!

just4fun1290
I've Been Here Awhile

I Take care of an elderly person with dementia and was basically forced to upgrade to ignite TV and was told I cant go back to digital TV. And with no option to disable screen saver because she likes to sleep with TV on cp24 and wake watching it. I have to wake the box up every 5 hours even when I'm trying to sleep because they cant do it her self it is causing a lot of stress and doesn't help with someone who lives with depression.

I phoned tech support and they didn't have a clue what to do and told me to email complaint department they may be able to help me when i got an email back i was told to contact tech service.

i have been with rogers over 43 years and rogers not giving anymore loyalty discount  my bill went up 45 dollars more then before with less channels this is ridiculous. Pleas sign my petition so that rogers may help so that i don't have to switch providers at least bell offers their TV so you can use your own android box rogers forces you to use their awful ignite box.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All IPTV services (Rogers, Bell, and definitely all TPIA BDUs (Start/Teksavvy/VMedia/EBOX) that pay CBB fees) will drop the network stream after a period of inactivity so that a set-top box will not consume bandwidth endlessly.

I know that this is a source of frustration for some people but that is the way that most TV services work these days.  The only alternative is to switch back to a traditional TV service, such as the Rogers Starter Package (for as long as it is still available in Digital TV form) or a Satellite service.

Maxum
I've Been Here Awhile

Bell doesn't. I've had it, it never, ever timed out in any way.