cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Screen Saver

MonCheri
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to turn it off? I like to wake up with the TV on.
Also, when I turn on my tv it always displays the screen saver, I have to press the Rogers button for the TV to come on.

*** Added Labels ***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Ignite TV Screen Saver

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

The box isn't even obeying the 5 hour setting!!!!!   So this needs to be FIXED!!!!!!

The Screen Saver setting (5/15/30 Minutes / 5 Hours) is different from the inactivity timer, which drops the network stream and puts the box into a standby state.

I totally understand why some folks would want to disable both, and totally understand (and have tried to explain) why service providers would not want an IPTV set-top box to be streaming 24/7.

Comcast clearly has no interest in changing the current behaviour, and apparently would rather lose customers than allow them to disable the timeout.  I honestly don't know where Rogers stands on this issue but I'm sure if they could (and wanted to) change the current defaults, they would have.  Even if Rogers did want an "off switch" for this and miraculously succeeded in getting it, then Comcast customers would want it as well, which would put Comcast into a very awkward position, so Comcast would most likely not want anybody to be able to disable the inactivity timeout and screen saver until they are ready to provide this option to their own customers.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around
Seriously you are still missing the point that the SCREEN SAVER is set to 5 hours but kicks in after 4 hours!!!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:
Seriously you are still missing the point that the SCREEN SAVER is set to 5 hours but kicks in after 4 hours!!!

No, I'm just being pedantic by pointing out that there are two separate timeouts/settings at play.  However, I seriously wish you luck in getting the changes that you are asking for.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't have IgniteTV, however, I have read most of the IgniteTV threads here, as well as research on the web.  Here are my comments, which may been discussed earlier in this, or other thread(s), but not summarized in the same way.

1. The Comcast FAQ states:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

...when there has been no activity for four hours. Power Saver Mode.... conserves your power...

2. It is highly unlikely that Comcast/Rogers will change this or add an option to keep the box active longer.

3. This may be government mandated, in which case, there's no chance you'll get the option you desire.

4. You are welcome to keep banging your head against this wall, but I've found that after a certain amount of time doing this, it feels better to stop and either accept the situation, find a workaround, or some other pastime.

5. The number of people who feel very strongly about this issue is probably very small, so these corporations have other items on which they will concentrate their limited resources.

6. Competitors may have the same issue, so changing providers may not be a solution.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Comcast is a US company and whatever the US government many mandate has no bearing on Canada!

What's the point in having the screen saver option delayed to 5 hours when the Power Save option is OFF and causes the screen saver to kick in after 4 hours?  This is total nonsense!

Customers do have options depending on where they live, I have Beanfield as an option and they do NOT use the Comcast hardware, they use AirTies.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

Comcast is a US company and whatever the US government many mandate has no bearing on Canada!

Rogers is licensing this technology from Comcast.  The US, Canada's largest trading partner, has a lot of influence on what we receive in Canada in many areas. Yes, there can be minor differences if a similar product is available on both sides of the border, but those differences are usually in a "positive" direction (increased safety due to CSA for example), and not a negative one like higher power consumption.

As I, and others, have said, feel free to continue to bang your head on this wall.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Like I said before, there are other options that do NOT use Comcast's TV box.  Beanfield is one for example and I have that option!