cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Screen Saver

MonCheri
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to turn it off? I like to wake up with the TV on.
Also, when I turn on my tv it always displays the screen saver, I have to press the Rogers button for the TV to come on.

*** Added Labels ***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Ignite TV Screen Saver

Maxum
I've Been Here Awhile
Must be different models.of receivers, my brother has Bell Fibe now and I had it a year and a half ago, neither of ours time out...they're on all day.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Maxum  The Fibe TV receivers will stay on if there is activity but when I fell asleep with the TV on, it stopped streaming after a period of time.  I don't know how things work if you use the Bell TV app on an Apple TV box or a FireTV stick.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around
This is going to be a huge problem for organizations that have lobby TVs that need to remain on continuously on CP24. My workplace has several TV’s in the lobby and lunchrooms that need to remain on and stay on CP24 24x7. The remotes are removed and staff can’t change channels. This is all going to break when Rogers forces the remaining cable customers to move to Ignite. This is very shortsighted by Rogers and all other providers using this system!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1  Comcast has X1-based Business TV solutions for Enterprises but I don't how they handle use cases such as the one that you mentioned.  Bell has Business TV offerings as well, currently based on Satellite if I am not mistaken, that Rogers needs to be able to compete with more effectively.

I don't know what Rogers has planned, but business solutions are priced, structured and delivered very differently from residential services.  IPTV is also an enabler for solutions that Rogers never could have offered with Digital TV.  We'll have to wait and see what they announce in advance of the Digital TV service getting shut down.

just4fun1290
I've Been Here Awhile
They said i could not revert back to digital on the phone i tried. At least with bell you can use other android box and stream their Fibe Tv and have longer then 5 hours and if you call in they may be able to get up 12 to 24 hour of no interrupt for special circumstance like elderly and disabled rogers just gives me the run around.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Regarding Bell Fibe, my in-laws have it and they definitely get the “Still watching” screen saver interruption after a few hours. I was just there a few days ago and saw it with my own eyes. I could not find a way to disable it. As for my Ignite TV, as I’ve said multiple times, I’ve never seen the screen saver kick-in during live tv (and on-demand), even after more than 5 hours of watching the same channel without touching the remote. The only time the screen saver kicks-in for me is when I have the guide up on the screen (or when an on-demand program finishes) and haven’t touched the remote for more than 5 mins (I still have my screensaver setting set to the default 5 mins). I don’t know what makes my setup different from the others on this thread reporting that their screen saver kicks-in after 5 hours but my experience is different.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed  I also have my screensaver set for 5 minutes.  Regardless of what you have that set to, the Ignite set-top box will terminate the network stream after 5 hours of inactivity.  However, any activity on the Ignite remote, even changing the volume on the TV, will also ping the set-top box and reset the inactivity timer.

(Try this sometime: Issue the "Sleep Now" voice command.  The set-top box will go into standby and its status LED will turn off.  Press "Volume +" button.  That will wake the STB and its status LED will turn on.)

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Ahhhh ha! That must’ve been it then…I definitely adjusted volume within the 5 hour window. I didn’t know that counts as a wake command for the Xi6. I thought only tv box buttons (guide, channel up/down, etc) were considered “activity” for the Xi6. Thanks.

mordinxx
I Plan to Stick Around

I had Bell Fibe for over 4 years and never had a “Still watching” screen come up or have it go to a screen saver.  The reason Rogers has it so they can turn off streaming on unwatched TVs and save themselves $$ by not having to use the band width.  This is why they will NEVER change it.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

If the sole intent of the screen saver is to prevent burn-in then it defeats the purpose to constantly display the time and temperature on the screen when the screen saver is active!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mordinxx wrote:

I had Bell Fibe for over 4 years and never had a “Still watching” screen come up or have it go to a screen saver.  The reason Rogers has it so they can turn off streaming on unwatched TVs and save themselves $$ by not having to use the band width.  This is why they will NEVER change it.

It's not just bandwidth.  An active stream also takes up resources on the media streaming servers in the back-end.  Rogers would need to provision a lot more capacity (or could even run out of capacity) if too many customers let their set-top boxes run constantly.  (I don't know the specifics of how Rogers does capacity planning for Ignite TV, but this is the sort of thing that new IPTV service providers need to plan for as they roll out a new service and then scale it up as their customer base grows.)

As for Bell, even though Fibe TV is currently delivered as multicast streams, they have different capacity planning issues, and do whatever they can to shed unnecessary load from the DSLAMs and ISAMs that service their xDSL customers.

mordinxx
I Plan to Stick Around
So, in other words, you're saying that Rogers can't support ALL it's customers All watching TV at the same time? Still all about the $$.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mordinxx wrote:
So, in other words, you're saying that Rogers can't support ALL it's customers All watching TV at the same time? Still all about the $$.

Of course its about dollars!  Even pennies/user matter (and add up very quickly) when you are talking about large-scale infrastructure.  You always plan to have excess capacity.  However, you also don't want to have too much or too little.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
@mordinxx

I can assure you that Fibe has a similar screen saver. I’ve seen it with my own eyes just a few days ago when visiting my in-laws. Not sure how yours is configured that you’re not seeing it but let me know so I can let my in-laws know!

Also, if you want to talk about bandwidth constraints, you can’t compare Fibe (the VDSL flavour) to Ignite. Bell has a lot more capacity constraints to deal with than Rogers does. I think it’s still one of the reasons why Bell’s streams are only 5Mbps 720p vs Rogers’ 10Mbps 1080p. And Fibe is also visibly more compressed than Ignite. So from a capacity perspective, I’ll gladly deal with a screen saver than only appears after 5 hours of absolutely no remote activity to get far better picture quality.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

I’d like to know how they deal with this for business customers like offices and restaurants.  The equipment is the same for both home and business customers using cable, I wouldn’t doubt it’s also the same with Ignite.

mordinxx
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers will be glad to hear you're fine with being told how you can use your service you are paying for. Must be why I notice most businesses are using other providers.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

I’d like to know how they deal with this for business customers like offices and restaurants.  The equipment is the same for both home and business customers using cable, I wouldn’t doubt it’s also the same with Ignite.

I could be wrong but It might be different for business / commercial customers.   I see restaurants, convenience stores, doctors offices, dentists, etc who have TVs on constantly and noticed they do NOT go into standby after so many hours.  So this leads me to believe Business or commercial accounts have some kind of setting to either change the screen saver timeout or to disable it completely.  makes sense if your a restaurant or some place and the tv goes to stand by your customers will be pist.

mordinxx
I Plan to Stick Around
Didn't configure a thing, it was like that from the start. In over 4 years of service I never saw anything of the sort with Bell. Might have to do with location. I'm on the east coast and service was through Bell/Aliant.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
well, if u want me to be honest with you bell / Bell Alient is the same, it goes to stand by after a few hours too just like ignite, the only exception is also business/commercial establishments too so bars, restaurants, this seems pretty standard across most providers so not sure what the problem is?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:
I could be wrong but It might be different for business / commercial customers.   I see restaurants, convenience stores, doctors offices, dentists, etc who have TVs on constantly and noticed they do NOT go into standby after so many hours.

Bell offers both Fibe TV and Satellite TV solutions to small businesses; for medium/large solutions, they offer Satellite TV-based services but likely have other custom offerings as well.  As far as I know, Rogers currently offers only a Digital TV service to businesses, not Ignite TV.

For the legacy TV technologies, Satellite or Digital TV, idle timeouts are not an issue.  I don't know how Bell provisions their IPTV service for businesses but MediaKind (formerly the Media Solutions division of Ericsson) is pretty flexible when it comes to accommodating requests from their customers... so if Bell wants to be able to provision a longer inactivity timeout (or no timeout) for their business or residential customers, they would not have any technical barriers to doing so.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

I expect most Rogers business customers are still on digital cable, that’s what we have where I work.  Rogers will never be able to retire cable for business customers until they resolve this sleep issue.