Ignite TV Screen Saver

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve_brampton
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Ignite TV Screen Saver

Yes, i agree that we have gone beyond the screen saver request ...

McCreadyFamily
I've Been Around

Is there a way to change the screensaver to a pic of our choice, like a family picture or something?
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@McCreadyFamily  The only thing that you can currently do is change the theme by going into "Settings > Device Settings > Screen Saver > Screen Saver Type" and choosing from either Landscape, Animals or Entertainment.

Daman81
I've Been Around

I hate the screensaver you should have an option to shut it off ..i leave my tv on while out or at work for my animals not to be lonely ..please fix this issue
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Daman81 wrote:
I hate the screensaver you should have an option to shut it off ..i leave my tv on while out or at work for my animals not to be lonely ..please fix this issue

Okay... but the reason why Rogers (or any IPTV service provider) needs to shut the set-top box off after a reasonable period of inactivity is to counter people who just leave their set-top boxes on, streaming endlessly with nobody watching, wasting network bandwidth and tying up (expensive) resources in their back-end infrastructure.  It's as wasteful as leaving your water running constantly... and the only thing stopping you from doing that is that your water consumption is metered.

Arch1
I've Been Here Awhile

We understand, but Rogers doesn't NEED to turn it off as you stated, and if we want to keep the TV streaming, I think that's our prerogative.

steve_brampton
I'm Here A Lot

I agree. I pay for 24/7 TV.

And to my original complaint - if the box stops streaming when I turn the TV off, fine, but it should kick itself out of scrceen saver mode when i turn it back on without an additional button press.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Arch1 wrote:

We understand, but Rogers doesn't NEED to turn it off as you stated...

Actually, there are power saver regulations that all device providers now need to follow.  Cable boxes were once huge power wasters and governments have mandated that the power requirements be lowered as much as possible since many homes now have many devices.  Power saver modes are but one way to meet these regulations.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@steve_brampton wrote:

..it should kick itself out of screen saver mode when i turn it back on without an additional button press.

The Rogers box will turn itself back on with a press of any button on the Rogers remote.  Some devices do not work well with HDMI-CEC or "alexa" or many other recent IOT devices.  I'm sure that in time Rogers box likely will and we have provided a couple of options in this or other threads to do what you want, like Harmony.

There are lots of devices that do not "come on" (automatically) when you turn on a TV for example.  The way the Rogers boxes work are programmed by Comcast who supply the firmware and this firmware was programmed this way for a specific reason, like not getting the box out of synch with the TV for example when used by the vast majority of people who do use the Rogers remote.

Yes, it would be nice to have certain features (options) and mentioning them here means that Rogers can work on those features if they are something that many people want.

Arch1
I've Been Here Awhile

okay, but is this opinion or can you share a link to those government regulations you mention specific to this situation. In all the conversations I've had with Rogers, this has never been mentioned. What's next? ...curfew hours on lights that are on for more than 5 hours? As mentioned by another commenter, we are paying 24/7 and quite frankly this current service from Rogers in my mind is still in Beta mode. Sound dies and have to change the channel, shut down the TV or reboot the box to get sound back. Recordings are still a problem from time to time having the recordings freeze when you watch them.

I see you say you are not a Rogers employee, but what exactly is a "Rogers Community Resident Expert?. Thanks, and appreciate your comment/feedback.