cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV: Restart vs. System Refresh ?

SpeedyC
I'm a reliable contributor

Hi.

In the Help screen, what is the difference between Restart and System Refresh?

"System Refresh" says no preferences, settings, nor recordings are deleted ... but can take 10-20 minutes to complete?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV: Restart vs. System Refresh ?

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@SpeedyC wrote:

Hi.

"System Refresh" says no preferences, settings, nor recordings are deleted ... but can take 10-20 minutes to complete?

**Labels Added**

RESTART

... is basically the same as pulling the power on the XI6 TV box.  It reboots the one TV box, and only affect that one.  Typically it takes 2 to 4 minutes for the connection on that box to be restored.

REFRESH

... I haven't used it, but as I understand the documentation... it does a deeper analysis of your system include settings at the rogers end.  It affects ALL your TV boxes (and internet...probably reboots the gateway) and your internet may be out for 10 minutes or more.   And apparently can only be used once every 24 hours, and generally when you are in such as state that you are thinking of calling a Rogers Tech.

That is MY understanding, and others here may confirm, clarify, or correct. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@SpeedyC wrote:

Hi.

**Labels Added**

RESTART

... is basically the same as pulling the power on the XI6 TV box.  It reboots the one TV box, and only affect that one.  Typically it takes 2 to 4 minutes for the connection on that box to be restored.

REFRESH

... I haven't used it, but as I understand the documentation... it does a deeper analysis of your system include settings at the rogers end.  It affects ALL your TV boxes (and internet...probably reboots the gateway) and your internet may be out for 10 minutes or more.   And apparently can only be used once every 24 hours, and generally when you are in such as state that you are thinking of calling a Rogers Tech.

That is MY understanding, and others here may confirm, clarify, or correct. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC  Yes, pretty much what @ColdGranite  said.

System Refresh should be used in cases when you see behaviour on your set-top box (or other devices) that is not consistent with how your account is set up.  e.g. You are not receiving channels that you should be subscribed to, or you can watch a channel but cannot record it.  System Refresh can be used to try to get everything in sync (your equipment and back-end systems) with your account entitlements.

If you just made Flex Channel changes but are not seeing them on your set-top box, sometimes a Restart (set-top box reboot) will fix this.  If not, try Settings / Device Settings / Sync PVR.  If that does not work, just wait a while longer for your subscription entitlements to refresh.  If you still cannot tune to your new channels, try a System Refresh.

However, if you are seeing other problems such as channel changes taking a long time or set-top box apps not working, it is likely due to a network issue... and neither Restart nor System Refresh will fix this.  What you need to do is reboot your Ignite gateway.  Once the Ignite gateway comes back online, you may also need to restart your set-top boxes.  When things are behaving really strangely, I also prefer to reboot equipment by power-cycling it, since this also resets the hardware.

SpeedyC
I'm a reliable contributor

Thanks for the explanation.

So use System Refresh as a last resort when things get really fouled up ...

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation