Ignite TV - Recorded playback issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Recorded playback issues

@Bplayer wrote: ...However, there is the issue of no sound from the centre channel...

The lower volume may be because the recordings on Ignite are what I call "improperly encoded DD5.1" which only sends the LF & RF speaker signals, thereby only the LF & RF speakers are "active" on recordings, reducing the volume and, of course, not providing any surround sound either. This assumes certain settings in the Rogers Audio menu. 

The "workaround" is to set the audio in the Rogers Ignite box to "other", or whatever the appropriate name is called (I don't have IgniteTV), rather than DD or Expert...  This will then send PCM to the AVR and the AVR can decode that using DPLII (or similar) to surround sound, which will then make the centre and surround speakers active.  This has been happening for over a year and has been discussed in various threads on this forum.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/PCM-Audio-only/m-p/463194#M7116

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...

As an aside, Rogers seems to be having problems with various channels having different volume levels. They are aware of this issue, however, they haven't solved it yet even though it's been happening for months.  The different volume between recordings and live/OD may be related, but may have more to do with simply different audio delivery methods as I explained in the first paragraph.

GarfieldTheCat
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I just moved to Ignite TV on the weekend. I am new of using Ignite TV. I just run into an interesting issue. I want to make sure that I didn't do something wrong. I usually record the shows and watch it on my tablet.

Yesterday, I set 3 different recording of different shows on the same channel. One was 8 pm to 9 pm, one was 9 pm to 10 pm, and the last one was at 10:30 pm - 11 pm. I was able to play the 8 pm recording, but the 9 pm and 10:30 pm recordings, I am getting error. I tried it on the Ignite box itself, 2 different Android devices, and one Apple device.

On the Ignite box itself, it said it wasn't able to play the recording, and gave me an option to record the same show from today.

On the Android devices, it gave me "Well that didn't go as planned. We're having trouble playing this recordings. We checked for this program On Demand but, unfortunately, it is not available. Please try watching another program."

On the Apple device, it gave me "Playback Issue :: TVAPP-00300. We're sorry, something unexpected just happened. Please try again."

Did I do something wrong? Is this normal, that I couldn't watch the recorded shows?

Thank you in advance.

RogersTony

Hello, @GarfieldTheCat

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can imagine how frustrating it was to miss a favourite program that you had set to record. We definitely want to troubleshoot this for you to see what happened. Please answer the questions below so we can better assist you.

• Has this happened on any other channel?
  • Was this a single recording or part of a series recording?
  • Did you set the recording on your tablet using the Ignite TV app or was it set on the ignite TV box?

We look forward to your response.

RogersTony

GarfieldTheCat
I'm Here A Lot

Hi RogersTony,

First of all, thank you!

I just got the Ignite TV installed on Saturday. And it has only happened twice on the same day. But I am new on this.

To answer your questions:

• So far, it only happened on channel 36 (Fairchild TV), and only on Monday 9 pm and 10:30 pm
  • I set the recording individually, not as a series.
  • I couldn't remembered exactly, sorry. I think it was set on the Ignite box.

Last night (9/22), the same times, 9 pm and 10:30 pm, were recorded fine.

Not sure if this help, I haven't deleted the unplayable recordings. Hoping to keep them may help for investigation.

Thank you again.

RogersMoin

Hello, @GarfieldTheCat.

Thank you so much for the additional info. It seems like it was a one-off situation; I am glad that the recordings for the same channel and the same time slot for the next day were fine. 

It’s great that you haven’t deleted those unplayable recordings. We can submit a ticket for you so we can investigate it. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

JDA2
I've Been Around

My Yamaha surround audio system plays properly during live broadcasts, but only in stereo when playing PVR recordings. A tech. was sent to my home and couldn't resolve the issue. Surround audio  was fine with live and PVR recorded material when I had Rogers digital before I got Ignite.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JDA2  Please read posts 95, 99, 101 of the following thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/472720#M9274

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I first heard of this issue, I looked at my own system.   We did not seem to have that problem... recorded programs do appear to play with surround sound, and I have the IGNITE TV box "sound" setting as "AUTO DETECT (5.1 dolby)"

But my system is an older Sony where all inputs (TV box, DVD, Games, laptop, etc.)... all inputs go to the TV...not to the sound system.  The TV feeds the sound to the sound system, via an HDMI - ARC port.  (The sound system has an internal DVD which uses the same HDMI-ARC port to send video to the TV, as well)

Presumably the TV is doing the necessary decoding to get me pseudo-Dolby from IGNITE recordings???

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

Presumably the TV is doing the necessary decoding to get me pseudo-Dolby from IGNITE recordings???

No.  TV's don't decode signals that pass to audio systems. They either pass the signal (unconverted) through to the AVR (or sound bar) or they convert DD5.1 to PCM (2 channel audio), or they don't pass audio at all.

It's the AVR or sound bar that provide surround sound from 2 channel input signals, or DD5.1 from DD5.1 input signals.  We've gone through this before - see link below and please read posts 95, 99, 101 of that thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/472855#M9305

Please don't mix up "surround sound" (which can be created from any input signal like (2-channel) PCM or DD2.0) with proper DD5.1.

BradA
I've Been Around

We have a similar problem but it only (and always) happens with shows recorded on the CW network. We record a lot of other shows on other networks and never have any glitches in the playback. It is extremely frustrating to always have these glitches where it freezes, the sound cuts out and then it comes back and jumps ahead so you miss something. And again, it only happens with shows recorded on the CW and it doesn't matter which CW channel we record from. And it always happens. We never see it when watching the CW live.
This did NOT happen before we switched to ignite.
Please help us be able to fix this.
Thank you!