cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV PVR issues with recorded shows not playing and also wrong shows recorded

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

I am a new Rogers customer.  I switched mainly to get off of Bell internet but decided to bundle the TV and home phone in as well due to the savings.  I have been a Shaw satellite TV customer for many years and loved their interface. 

I have had more issues with the Rogers PVR in the last two weeks than in the 20+ years that I was with Shaw.

Issue #1:  When I try to watch a recorded show, the message pops up saying there is an issue with the recording and it will play it from on demand.  This has happened at least four times.  The reason that I record a program is to be able to skip the commercials.  I can't do this with on demand.  Also, what will happen when I record a live action event that is not available on demand? 

Issue #2:  PVR records the wrong program.  This has happened five times.  It shows up as one program on my PVR list, then when I play it, it is something completely different.

Issue #3: PVR records the same "new" episode of a series multiple times - this has already been discussed in this forum so I am not looking for an answer to this problem.

Has anyone else experienced Issues #1 & #2?  Is there a solution or is this just due to flaky PVR programming or the TV guide that Rogers uses?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ignite TV PVR issues with recorded shows not playing and also wrong shows recorded

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

Just got off the live chat with Rogers and they have suggested that I refresh the system.  Let's hope that fixes my issues.

Re: Ignite TV PVR issues with recorded shows not playing and also wrong shows recorded

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

I refreshed the system last week and it has not fixed the issue.  I still have some programs that show as recorded but when I want to watch them, it says there is an issue with the recording and switches to on demand.  Sometimes, when I exit and try to play the recording again, it works.  It also has recorded an incorrect show again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@thyme4us wrote:  Issue #2:  PVR records the wrong program.  This has happened five times.  It shows up as one program on my PVR list, then when I play it, it is something completely different.

Perhaps you can share exactly which programmes you have issue with?  For example, if a previous (live) programme runs long and the IPG doesn't get corrected in "real-time" then the programmes that air following an extended live programme my be recorded incorrectly. This happens often after say Sunday football, etc.

The only suggestion I have for you if that's what's happening is to record the following programme as well. For example during election week many of the comedy programmes (like Trevor Noah) aired later, so I simply recorded the programme that followed hoping to get Trevor... (example only)

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

@thyme4us   I have had issue #1 a few times and issue #2 once or twice.  For issue #1, Are you trying to access your programs from the STB or the app?  Can you access from the app? 

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

@57

Thanks for the suggestion.  I already set any live shows to add extra time.  The ones that I have issues with being recorded multiple times are regular weekly shows.  It looks like a lot of them show up on E! and must be tagged as new.  I plan to drop E! and that should solve the issue with some of the multiple recordings.  Not ideal but it is an easier workaround than having to check the guide every week.  The benefit of the PVR is to set it and forget it.  Rogers should do some reconnaissance on the Shaw system and see why their PVR program is so much stronger.

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

@jjjjy7

I am accessing the programs with my STB. 

reed935
I plan to stick around

1) - I am having a slightly different problem.  When I set up a new series recording, I always specify "new episodes only" on a specific channel.  Over the last couple of weeks, however, I am noticing a large number of erroneous recordings being set up, where the shows are not flagged as new in the guide, and are actually reruns of older shows.  For example, my wife set up "A Million Little Things" to record new episodes for the new season.  Along with the actual "new" show, it tries to records 6-7 other versions during the week, of which none of them show up as "new".  This is happening on most of my scheduled shows.  Getting multiple copies of Star Trek Discovery, even though only one of them is the actual "new" one.  Big pain having to continuously go through the scheduled recordings to delete the individual erroneous ones.  Sometimes I actually get 6 or 7 showing up on the same day, as I delete individual old episodes, and the system keeps trying to readd them again.  I have tried to delete entire show schedule to readd it, but same problems shows up.  Sounds like it might be a problem on Roger's end with the scheduling software.  Also, why doesn't it actually remove the deleted episodes from the recordings list ??  I have pages of deleted recordings that just sit there for a week or so.

2) - Is there any way to see what actual recordings I have a schedule for ??  Many show recordings were for previous seasons, and I would like to delete those schedules as they are not required anymore and would just be sitting there in the background waiting for a new show to be aired.  For example, we used to record new episodes of the show "Evil".  I think they canceled the show, but every once in a while a non-new recording shows up in the schedule.  Yes I could delete it when the problem shows up, but would like to clear out my scheduled recordings for all of these shows.

3) - Going on a tangent a bit, but have also noticed over the last couple of weeks to a month ago, it is taking a very long time to change many of the channels.  In some cases, it can take 10-15 seconds just to connect to the new channel.  This is not the way it should work.  Gateway was rebooted multiple times during this period.

Hello @reed935!

A fellow Evil fan! I love that show so you'll be pleased to hear that it's not cancelled and has been picked up by Netflix. I wouldn't have been able to handle it ending the way it did without seeing what happens next.

After the cancellation of Braindead, I was afraid Evil would suffer a similar fate!

It sounds like we may need to submit an escalation to investigate what's happening with your PVR recordings. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I can troubleshoot with you in earnest.

If you're unfamiliar with our private messaging system, please check out our blog here for more info.

Regards,

RogersCorey

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

@reed935I am having the same issue as your item #1.  One example is The Goldbergs.  The PVR records the new episode then also records every other episode of The Goldbergs that airs.  Such a waste of time to have either check the schedule and remove them or delete them after recording.

AGC1264
I plan to stick around

Got so annoyed with Rogers recording the WRONG TCM movies I contacted TCM.

They immediately figured out that Rogers was listing the U.S. scheduling for a week or two in advance, instead of listing the **CANADIAN** programming that TCM provides. WHAT?!?!?!? Yup. Rogers purposely and knowingly lists the wrong schedule. TCM was able to answer my request with one email. Rogers clearly doesn't have a clue as to how programming works. Very pathetic. Very lame. Unacceptable.

Now I find that if I am watching a show or movie and need to leave, with navigatr -- Roger's previous TV system which I should never have dropped -- it used to start recording the programme right from the beginning of the recording without having to rewind to the start. navigatr worked. As it should.

With ignite it won't do that. In fact, even if you rewind to the beginning to start recording a show already in progress, it only records from the point at which the show is currently at - not where you are watching it from. Did this to a movie I was watching last night -- decided I needed to go to the store. Rewound the 20 minutes I had watched and started recording. It stated immediately it was only going to record from the current time. Just went to watch the movie - missing the first 20 minutes. Very pathetic. Very lame. Unacceptable.

Have also hit the record "all episodes" or whatever option only to get just the one programme.

Have also had the programme guide show blank voids on numerous occasions and then freeze when clicking through that empty frame. Have had it just freeze numerous times in the middle of scanning through the listings.

You would think, for the money Rogers is sucking out of our pockets like an automatic teller machine every month they would at least figure out this technology and know how to implement it.

I see an HD antenna in my future.

Out.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AGC1264 wrote:

Got so annoyed with Rogers recording the WRONG TCM movies I contacted TCM.

They immediately figured out that Rogers was listing the U.S. scheduling for a week or two in advance, instead of listing the **CANADIAN** programming that TCM provides. WHAT?!?!?!? Yup. Rogers purposely and knowingly lists the wrong schedule. TCM was able to answer my request with one email. Rogers clearly doesn't have a clue as to how programming works. Very pathetic. Very lame. Unacceptable.

I have noticed issues with the Guide on Ignite lately as well.  With TCM, this was obviously human error from whoever provides Rogers with EPG data.

Now I find that if I am watching a show or movie and need to leave, with navigatr -- Roger's previous TV system which I should never have dropped -- it used to start recording the programme right from the beginning of the recording without having to rewind to the start. navigatr worked. As it should.

With ignite it won't do that. In fact, even if you rewind to the beginning to start recording a show already in progress, it only records from the point at which the show is currently at - not where you are watching it from. Did this to a movie I was watching last night -- decided I needed to go to the store. Rewound the 20 minutes I had watched and started recording. It stated immediately it was only going to record from the current time. Just went to watch the movie - missing the first 20 minutes. Very pathetic. Very lame. Unacceptable.

This is because we don't have a local PVR in our homes anymore.  Recording is done "in the cloud" and starts at the point in time that you press Record.

Have also had the programme guide show blank voids on numerous occasions and then freeze when clicking through that empty frame. Have had it just freeze numerous times in the middle of scanning through the listings.

I have noticed missing Guide data as well.  I can understand blanks in the schedule a week from now; sometimes stations make changes to their lineup and their programming grid will be incomplete.  However, recently, I have noticed more and more often that a currently airing show will have no Guide metadata other than the name of the program that is airing... and sometimes not even that.

The Ignite Guide actually has been great for the past 2+ years that I have been a subscriber.  I wonder if Rogers switched to a new provider for their EPG data and this is now what we get from the lowest bidder.  I don't know... but something, somewhere has changed recently.

AGC1264
I plan to stick around

Re: recording in the cloud...

how nice. never used to be a problem, now its a problem, it's Rogers problem, I want no part of this problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AGC1264 wrote:

Re: recording in the cloud...

how nice. never used to be a problem, now its a problem, it's Rogers problem, I want no part of this problem.

I found this annoying as well at first.  However, you also don't need to worry about losing all of your recordings when the PVR dies.

However, even if you have a partial recording, you can still try to record a later airing of the program or find ways to watch it on-demand:

You can also use "Other Times" to find when that program airs again and record it in its entirety.

With a TV show, you can also use "Episodes", select the episode that partially recorded, select "Watch Options" and view the beginning (or the entire episode) on-demand.

With a movie, you can also select Movie Info, Watch Options, to find other ways to watch.

I actually don't bother to record anything that I can watch on-demand.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation