Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

The simple answer is no, i don’t have any places that have coax, Ethernet, and phone, and my office is next to the garage and front door (porch).

Thanks,

Justin

P.S. Is there anything I can buy that is wireless to do this?
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone? Do I have to get a RJ11 port wired to my office, or can I buy something wireless?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sbeckenstein, personal opinion, going the wired route would be the most reliable.  It all depends on whether or not the floor below your office is finished or not.  If the office is on the main floor, and the basement under it isn't finished, you could probably run the wire yourself and install the low voltage box, keystone and wallplate to support the office installation.  Only tricky part is the 66 block connection where all of the other phone lines should terminate.  You might be able to convince Rogers to do that.  Its a very small task to complete. 

On the wifi side, I found a couple of possibilities which I never knew existed:

https://www.amazon.ca/GE-TL86597-InstaJack-Wireless-Phoneline/dp/B000FFNDSG

https://www.amazon.ca/RCA-RC926-Wireless-Phone-Jack/dp/B00000J08Q

These might work ok.  I haven't found an installation manual, so I would assume that both of those would run encrypted wifi networks.  I wouldn't install either one if they didn't.  If you kept the distance between the base and remote to a minimum, these might be ok.  The base would plug into the modem and the remote would plug into the house phone system.  They are ridiculously expensive on the Amazon.ca site.  If you found these on a U.S. site somewhere they are probably reasonable in cost.  For the cost of either one, I'd be looking for a wired route.  That would be pretty cheap if you can do it. 

Personal opinion, I'd always take the wired route if it was feasible. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Battery Backup for XB6 modem

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but "Home Phone" the closest  I could find.

I have the "Technicolor" version of the XB6 modem (CGM414X) on my Ignite system.  I want to purchase a battery backup so that I don't lose phone service during a power outage. (It's too bad that this capability was lost with the changeover to Ignite) I have no need to back up anything other than the modem because I have a wired phone connected, although a USB connection for a cell phone would help.  In addition to allowing phone service,  we would likely use our laptop via WiFi through the outage. I  would want the UPS to keep the modem running for at least 3 hours. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a reasonably-priced UPS that would serve my needs.

Thanks, 
Gil.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Reasonably priced and UPSs dont always go hand in hand..

Your more basic ones ($30-50 ones) will maybe only get you 30 mins or so.. its really more for just riding out blips.

The larger the more expensive.. the longer you will get out of it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've had a number of APC UPS over the past couple of decades and they have served me well - lasting at least 10 years each. I have them on my computer and on a couple of home theatre applications.   Even a small 500VA UPS will keep a modem (5W or so) running for hours if that's all you have plugged into the UPS side.  Of course you can plug all the higher power draw devices into the "surge" side without affecting the battery draw.  Here's one place that sells good refurbished units:

https://batteryupsforless.com/index.php?id_category=19&controller=category&id_lang=1

For example, if you put 10 W into the following calculator, the 550VA unit will provide for hundreds of minutes.

https://www.apc.com/shop/ca/en/tools/ups_selector/home/load

I have a 750VA unit because I have two digital cable PVRs, a modem (<5W) and a cordless phone base (1-2W) plugged into the battery side, which probably amounts to around 40 W and I can get almost two hours.  If you have a cordless phone, the base needs to be plugged into the UPS also.

UPS are often on sale for around half of list price.  I usually watch for sales during boxing week and black Friday. Remember that Rogers itself only has so much battery backup on the nodes near your home, so they may go down in 3-5 hours anyway...

https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/results.php?language=en&keywords=ups