Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

If you replaced the 24 port 10/100 Mb/s switch with a gigabit equivalent, you would end up with gigabit service for those connected ports.  Realistically, thru the switch and two lengths of Cat 5e cable, one running downstairs to the switch and the other back up to the connected rooms, you would probably see somewhere around 850/875 Mb/s.  

Sounds like this is working so far 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

That seems good!!!

I have some questions though?

Does ignite tv take up any bandwidth on my wifi?

Why is my eero only receiving speeds of 807 and 27 from my isp. I would have thought I would get 1000mbps and 30mbps
I Plan to Stick Around

So,

I kinda have a problem.

Right know my modem is in my office, and I have a coax cable in there, along with a ethernet port, but no home phone port. I know earlier I said I didn't really care about home phone, but I paid a lot of money to have my home wired up, is there any way someone from rogers can come and wire up a home phone or is there something like powerline for ethernet, for home phone. Because if there is, I can plug one into where my old modem was, and one into the new modem. 

Thanks,

Justin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can ask rogers to connect the home phone line from your modem to your houses inside wiring however you should know if you dont have a jack in that room rogers will probably run the wire and staple it along your bsseboards and such to where they need it to go. Some people consider this an eye sore. But they are not allowed to fish wires behind the wall.

If you want it neatly you can do it yourself if you know how or hire someone to do it for u. If it was me i would just install a phone jack in the office myself so i know its done to my satisfaction.

Lastly you can use a multi handset cordless phone but since u paid lot of money for wiring up rj11 jacks in your house i decided not to mention this option

I Plan to Stick Around

What do you mean by fish the wires in the wall?

I have a cordless multi handset phone connected directly to the modem, but I need the wiring because my alarm and doorbell are hooked up to the basement, where my old phone modem used to be. So is the Rogers guy not able to put wires behind the wall, i definitely don’t want a wire running along my house.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, there is usually more than one way to solve the problem.  

First thing I would do is pull the wallplate off of the wall in your office to see if there happens to be a telephone cable hiding in behind the cable and ethernet ports.  

Failing that, I'd look at the walls, the other side of the walls that is for your office.  Look specifically for a telephone port.  If there is, the question is, do you need that telephone port at the location?  If not, I'd cut a hole in the office wall to install a low voltage bracket at that location.  With the hole cut, fish the telephone cable from the electrical box which will be visible thru that newly cut hole.  Install the low voltage bracket, which looks like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1-gang-low-voltage-mounting-bracket--rework.1000162142.html

Then attach an RJ-11 keystone:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7288

https://www.lowes.ca/multimedia-cable-accessories/digiwave-dga6358-rj11-modular-jack-insert_g2598702...

and wallplate:

https://www.lowes.ca/multimedia-cable-accessories/digiwave-dga6313w-one-slot-keystone-wall-plate_g25...

or RJ-11 port embedded within a wallplate:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.telephone-wall-plate.1000724155.html

Now, just thinking about this, instead of moving the telephone jack from one side of the wall to the other, you could install a jumper to run from one side of the wall to the other which would allow you connect the jumper cable to a keystone or wallplate with embedded RJ-11 port.  Its common to install dual or triple splitters into a RJ-11 port to run multiple phones or devices, so, doing this via cable and RJ-11 port should work.  This way you would retain phone port access on both sides of the wall.  

If you decide to go the route of cutting a hole in one of the office walls, if you cut it so that its at the same height as the other electrical box heights off of the baseboard and same size, when this is all said and done, no one would know that this wasn't installed at the same time as the other electrical boxes and wallplates. 

The one remaining item is to call tech support and have the CSR configure the modem so that both telephone ports use the same phone number, so that you can use one port to drive the house telephone system and one port to drive the cordless phone.  I'm making a big assumption here that both ports will be active when a call is placed or received.  If not, you would have to install a Duplex Telephone Splitter Jack, something like this onto the modem's primary phone port :

https://www.lowes.ca/multimedia-cable-accessories/zenith-zenith-ts1001-white-duplex-telephone-splitt...

That would ensure that both the cordless phone and house phone system are connected to the modem.  Only question is, how many telephones can the modem drive?  Typically there is some limit, but I don't know what that limit might be. 

Ok, that should provide some food for thought for now.......

Edit:  Additional food for thought, you could simply use one of the modem's phone ports to drive the house telephone system and simply park the cordless phone base at another location.  Just depends on whether you want the base unit in your office or at some other location if that's feasible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

do you need the phone wiring in the basement because someone TOLD you you need it there, or does the devices like your alarm and doorbell physically connect to your phone line thru a wired connection?

theres more to a phone connection than simply plugging a multi cordless handset into a modem. there are cases where other devices in your house needs a phone connection, like a fax machine, or a old school corded phone or something else, but just because your OLD phone modem was making the connection in your basement, does NOT mean your new rogers ignite modem has to be in the same spot. The way phone lines work is if one jack is injected with the dialtone, the rest will automatically have dialtone as long as their wired up as star topology and 99% of our houses are done this way. so you can put the modem in the office upstairs, and run a phone cord to the nearest jack in the room, if one does not exist in the room, you can easily make a hole in the wall and fish a wire down into your basement and punch it down on where your other connections are.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Randomly yesterday, I of my most important ignite tv boxes just didn't turn on, I tried wired and wireless network, unplugging and replugging lots of times. I REALLY don't want a technation to come to my house just to exchange a tv box. Am I able to go to a rogers store and exchange it?

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty - earlier you told me that if the phone modem isn’t in the demeic location, because all I need is a phone port nearby, I have a Ethernet port nearby, but no phone port. I looked behind the coaxial and Ethernet wall plates and there are no hidden telephone cables? Will I need to wire up a telephone cable from the old modem location to the new one, or is there something wireless I can buy?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sbeckenstein,

1.  Don't have a phone port on the other side of the office walls that you could take advantage of?

2.  Keep in mind that the modem can be moved to another location where there is an active cable port.  If there is also an ethernet and telephone port, then that would seem to solve the issue.  

3.  Any chance you could snake a telephone cable down thru either of the electrical boxes that support the cable or ethernet port?