Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Hi,

Just to say, I don’t really care about the home phone jacks in the wall, because my wireless home phone base is connected directly to the modem, but I really need Ethernet, so what I am going to do is connect a Ethernet wire from the eero into the wall port in the wall, then go to the switch and find out which wire is the one the eero is connected to, after that I am going to unplug that wire from the switch and put it to number one on the switch (where the router/modem is connected to)

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks,

Justin
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Usually it doesn't make any difference as to which switch port the main feed cable is plugged into.   You should be able to leave the switch as is.  If the previous modem was located downstairs, then the modem was removed and the feed cable from that modem to the switch should also have been removed or connected to something else.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello Sbeckenstein

As others have saidbis correct. You do NOT need to move the rogers ignote home phone gateway to where your old rogers cable telephony modem was located. Most houses have home phone wired in a daisy chain manner so when you inject the signal in one jack the other jacks will all have the dialtone. It does not matter which jack. Oh and home phone does not use a switch its just daisy chained together.

Internet is a little different but works in a similar mannor. You do NOT need your rogers ignite gateway modem to be located in your central wiring room or closet or area where all your switches are located. This is a myth and a lot of people arent aware.

You can install the modem in ANY room as long as there is an existing ethernet jack and wall plate that eventually goes to the room where your switching equiptment is. Then this wire now becomes the wire that backfeeds internet into your switch and the other ports on your switch will feed the remaining ethernet jacks in your house as long as you wired it to the simple smart wiring standard. And your set. Easy as pie

I Plan to Stick Around

Well right know my Ethernet switch’s work, but not how I like it, the switch in the basement is connected to a powerline adaptor with a max of 500MBPS, which I don’t like because I pay for gigabit.

So all I have to do is plug a Ethernet port on the eero into the wall port and then unplug the powerline from the switch?

Thanks,

Justin
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you running any device off of the powerline adapters?  If not, then yup, you can disconnect them.  All depends on whether or not they're needed. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!

Right when I get home I will try this and will update everyone in about 15 minutes.

Thanks,

Justin
I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers guy gave me 5 powerline adaptors, I only use 2 and after I do this I won’t use any. Do I have to return these to Rogers or are they mine? And one other thing, because there is only one Ethernet port on the eero, I have a gigabit switch connected to that. Instead of plugging the Ethernet wire from my eero into the wall, can i plug it into the switch.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure about the powerline adapters.  Do they show up on your bill as a monthly rental item?  If not, maybe their yours??  You might have to check with Customer Service or one of the moderators on that one.  

As for the single port on the eero, yup, you can do:

Eero ---->  switch ---->  Port 1 ----> from Eero

Port 2 ----> wallplate port ----> downstairs switch ---->  switch ----> all

Port 3 ----> device                                                                         other ports

Port 4 ----> device

etc

etc

I Plan to Stick Around

Well when the Rogers guy came he said that those are free, but he didn’t sound that sure of himself, so I will talk to someone from Rogers and find out.

I know the powerline adaptors weren’t bought from us, because the Rogers guy gave them, but he didn’t say if they were free or not.

Thanks a lot everyone,

Justin
I Plan to Stick Around

Update:

So I used to have the 150u plan before I had ignite tv so in my basement I had a 24 port 10/100 switch. I had a 16 port gigabit switch in my room and a 8 switch gigabit one. So I used those, it’s all fantastic. Somehow, our wireless speeds have gone up.

Thanks everyone,

Justin