Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Hi, 

I recently switched over to ignite tv, which is one modem. (XB6)

I have my house wired up for ethernet and home phone jacks, but my home phone modem and internet router used to be in different places, now that I have ignite tv, and the xb6 modem (with telephone modem and internet router built in). But I use the home phone and my ethernet ports A LOT. So I don't know what to do, I need my home phone, but at the same time, I need ethernet. 

FYI, in case this helps, I use EERO. So would that do anything?

One other thing, I know rogers usually bridges the eero, but I have it unbridged and turned off the wifi on the modem and use the eero app. The only reason I do this is because off blocking users and family profiles on the app, so does anyone know if the Rogers MyWifi app is going to ever support the XB6 modem?

Thanks, 

Justin 

*Edited Labels*

Re: Ignite TV - Multiple Ethernet and Home Phone Connections

Hello, @sbeckenstein.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your queries in the Community. We have a lot of members in the Community who use a switch in conjunction with XB6 and Eero. Have you thought of an Ethernet switch for your Ethernet connections?

You should be able to plug in the RJ11 output from the modem to the demarcation point to have the phone connection available at all the phone ports. 

As for the Rogers MyWifi app, at the moment, it's only available for CODA modems. Thank you for understanding! 

Community - Please chime in with your expertise with Switches and Home Phone connection. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

No, I have a Ethernet switch, I am just saying that my old home phone modem and my old internet modem were in different places and I need all of my home wiring connected to one place, do I have to rewire my house?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not necessarily?

the biggest thing would be, if your modem is now where your WIRED network goes to.  Plug it into one of the ports (or the out port of the Eero).

For the phone part itself... even if its not at the DEMARC location, as long as you have a phone jack itself somewhere in range, you could plug from the modem into that jack, and it will share across all the other jacks in the house just fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you had the previous version of the Rogers Home Phone, with its own modem, that modem should be gone now leaving the phone system disconnected from any external system and free to accept another connection to another phone modem. As @Gdkitty points out, you should be able to simply connect one of the phone ports on the XB6 modem to an existing phone port in the home.  There are two phone ports on that modem, don't know if they're marked port 1 and 2.  Its possible that port 2 isn't active.  Don't know what the default setting is when its installed.  They can be set to run off of the same phone number, so in theory one port could drive the house phone system while the other port could run a phone, which has been connected to that other port. 

Fwiw, if your home was built within the last 15 to 20 years, its possible that you might have structured wiring installed, which is a multi-cable bundle that runs from the structured wiring cabinet in the basement to each room where cable tv or internet or phone service might be required.  If you look behind the wallplate that the modem is plugged into, that you might find the other cables tucked in behind the wallplate waiting for the homeowner to discover them and put them to use.  If your home has structured wiring installed but not completed, then you could call in a structured wiring tech to install the telephone jack and connect the cable to the 66 block in the wiring cabinet downstairs.  There will be a cost to that unfortunately, unless you can do that work yourself.  While its possible to complete all of the wiring installation at every wallplate with the wiring bundle, it sounds like you only need the single telephone cable installed, just a question of whether or not its available behind the closest wallplate. 

I Plan to Stick Around

So I can plug the telephone ports on the modem into any telephone port on the wall, and then the rest will work? Will that work with Ethernet work also by doing that? Because most of my wall plates have a Ethernet port and a telephone port in one location (on top/under each other).
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, it should.

Assuming that goes back to where your switch is.

Run network cable from the back of the modem to the port in the wall, back to where the switch is.  From that into the switch, then connect out from the switch to wherever/however the other ones are connected.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, sounds like your just about ready to go.  Have a look at the structured wiring cabinet in the basement.  You should see a 66 block for telephone connections that looks like this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=66+block&rlz=1C1PRFI_enCA774CA774&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUK...:

There might be two wires that are connected to that block that lead off to a standalone small telephone plug in.  That would look something like this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=telephone+junction+block&sa=X&rlz=1C1PRFI_enCA774CA774&biw=1280&bih=6...:

That would have been used by the old Home Phone Modem to plug into the 66 block and drive the rest of the house telephone system.  There shouldn't be anything plugged into the connector side of that box now.  So, that should leave the home's telephone system in a state where its disconnected from anything and ready to plug into the XB6 telephone ports.  

If you were arriving from Bell's system, you would have to ensure that the 66 block is isolated from the Bell system by cutting the connecting wires.  That shouldn't be the case here, just pointing it out. 

As for the ethernet, it depends on what connectors are installed at the other end of the cable and whether or not you already have a gigabit ethernet switch already installed.  If that switch is already installed, then you're ready to go, just a matter of plugging the ethernet port from the modem to the wall plate ethernet port. 

Where was the previous modem?  If it was located in the downstairs cabinet, and all connected, that would mean that the cables have RJ-45 connectors already installed.  You would need an unmanaged gigabit switch to connect to.  Once that is done, the modem will feed all of the house ethernet ports thru that switch.  So the path would look like:

Modem ---->  Wall ---->  house ----> unmanaged ----> all other switch ports connected

ethernet      ethernet      gigabit switch

port         (internal)

That will do the job.  Did the installation tech discuss any of this with you?

Here's a few examples of an unmanaged switch.  I've used a D-Link DGS-1008 switch for several years to do exactly what you want to do, which is to run the ethernet ports throughout the house.  As you will see, they have different numbers of ports available in various switches, in my case the DGS-1008 has 8 ports on it. 

https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/results.php?keywords=gigabit%20switch&isort=price

I Plan to Stick Around

And the same with home phone? I know I have a switch in my basement for Ethernet ports, but I don’t know where the switch is for home phone?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In that case the 66 block might be located somewhere else, and not in the cabinet where its usually found.  Where was the previous Home Phone Modem located and where was it plugged in to, in terms of the telephone system?  Was the Home Phone Modem located on the main floor or upstairs and simply plugged into one of the telephone ports?  If so, then the same applies here, just a different modem in this case.