Ignite TV Modem/Router with Asus Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV Modem/Router with Asus Router

My Roger ignite modem is set to bridge modem and my PODs don't connect to ASUS router. 

Is there a way to link the Rogers PODs to ASUS router(AC 5300)?

Thanks

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

HI, no the pods only work when the gateway is active. There is no way to make them work with the gateway in bridge mode unfortunately.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have that for a while until I shut down my Nighthawk.   We had intermittent drops, devices not connecting.  Much more stable now in the Rogers box with the pods acting as extenders.   I will some time put the Nighthawk in bridge mode and use it as an AP.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So you recommend using Rogers box and pods? Not worth using the ASUS router in AP mode?
Thanks
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvbhvcbcvb wrote:
So you recommend using Rogers box and pods? Not worth using the ASUS router in AP mode?
Thanks

There's no one solution that will work best for everybody.  It depends on the size of your home, its construction, and where you are able to place your XB6 gateway and pods/access points.  You also need to consider how many Wi-Fi-connected devices you have, where they are located, the power of their transmitters, and their connectivity requirements.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks
I have 15 to 20 devices connected.
The problem with Rogers gateway is it uses same SSID name for 2.4 and 5. You can’t manually connect to 5. I am currently using gateway and my asus 5400 router as a AP.
I am able to use the Rogers app also.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Can Ignite wireless router / gateway (XB6) co-exist with current wireless router (Hitron CODA)

I currently have Rogers Digital service and Internet (70U) with Hitron (CODA) modem running in bridge mode (I think) to my ASUS RT-AC87U Router. There are many wireless devices (smart phones, apple TV, other TV's, Sonos speakers, heat pumps, etc. at least 16 devices) and several wired devices (3 NAS devices and a PC) currently connected.  My worry is that if I run the Ignite router in bridge mode the addition of the wireless connection to TV's will saturate the wireless on my current router and my performance will be reduced.

Here's the question: Can I split wireless devices across both wireless routers using the wirless on both routers using frequencies that don't interfere with each other. i.e. can I put TVs on Ignite router and the remainder of the devices, wired and wireless, on my current router?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rrtthomas wrote:

Can Ignite wireless router / gateway (XB6) co-exist with current wireless router (Hitron CODA)

Here's the question: Can I split wireless devices across both wireless routers using the wirless on both routers using frequencies that don't interfere with each other. i.e. can I put TVs on Ignite router and the remainder of the devices, wired and wireless, on my current router?

Sure, you can do this but the Rogers gateway cannot be in bridge mode.  You can even test this with your current setup by disabling Bridge Mode on the Rogers gateway and configuring your router as a Wi-Fi access point.  Configure Wi-Fi on the ASUS and Rogers with separate channels and different SSIDs, then explicitly configure Wi-Fi client devices to connect to either one or the other.

For your channel assignments, pick from channels 1, 6 or 11 on the 2.4 GHz band.  On the 5 GHz band, configure one to use a channel in the 36-48 range and the other to use a channel in the 149 and higher range.  You'll also want to use a Wi-Fi scanner on your PC or mobile device to survey channels that are being used by your neighbours and avoid channel assignments that conflict with those.

This setup won't allow seamless roaming/clean handover as your mobile devices move through the house but it should provide some improvements in transfer speeds between your wireless devices to your NAS.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rrtthomas wrote:

My worry is that if I run the Ignite router in bridge mode the addition of the wireless connection to TV's will saturate the wireless on my current router and my performance will be reduced.

If you are asking this question because you plan to switch to Ignite TV, you don't have to worry too much about bandwidth from the set-top boxes.  4K streams use approximately 25 Mb/s and HD streams use up to 10 Mb/s, and the traffic gets sent in bursts as unicast streams over HTTP.

Are you planning to do an Ignite TV self-install?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Was thinking about it. 

However, it maybe better to have a installer come in and have a look at current configuration to determine best way forward.

Thoughts?