cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Mini Guide

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

This is a piddling kind of question but may as well ask since I am learning all kinds of features I never knew were there on my new Ignite setup.

 

Just discovered that the right-arrow brings up the mini-guide, and see that there is an option to have it overlay the full screen or not. What I do not see is any way to *filter* the mini-guide the way you can the full guide. As in, I have the full guide default set to open at the favourites list rather than all-channels list. I would love the mini-guide to do the same. Is there any way to have the mini-guide default to favorites rather than all channels, the way I can with the full-screen guide?

 

If not, can I make this suggestion @CommunityHelps to the development team for a future feature enhancement?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@DrMike wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

 

Try this:  

Regardless of what you have set as the "default" in "preferences"...

...go up into the guide settings themselves:

Hit guide twice to get you up there, then select the "favorites star", and the "enter" button.

Then exit out, and try the mini guide again.

 


Things just got more interesting....

 

After I penned my last response, I went back to the TV and tried again and lo and behold the miniguide WAS just showing favorites. For sure it was NOT doing that earlier, so maybe it took awhile for the setting to take effect.

 

But then spurred by your last post, I got to wondering if it might just be reflecting the LAST view, not the (so-called) default view and sure enough, that is what it is doing. If my last view in full screen guide was ALL channels, that is what the miniguide was. If I change the last view of the full guide to Favorites, then THAT is what the miniguide also shows.

 

But in the course of doing this I also discovered that the DEFAULT I (thought) I set under >settings>preferences>default guide view is meaningless. I set it to FAVORITES and believed that was actually working. It is NOT. If I change the guide view manually to any other view, and then exit, the guide comes back in the LAST VIEW, not what I set as the DEFAULT view. So as long as those are the same (i.e. I don't venture away from "favorites" as my channel view) then my "default" is set - not because it is a true default but because it seems to remember what I did last time. And then the miniguide follows suit.

 

Very poor and misleading  implementation my view...


The "default" is applied when you reboot the TV box.  

It looks like that is the only time that the default-guide "preference setting" is relevant.

 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@DrMike wrote:

This is a piddling kind of question but may as well ask since I am learning all kinds of features I never knew were there on my new Ignite setup.

 

Just discovered that the right-arrow brings up the mini-guide, and see that there is an option to have it overlay the full screen or not. What I do not see is any way to *filter* the mini-guide the way you can the full guide. As in, I have the full guide default set to open at the favourites list rather than all-channels list. I would love the mini-guide to do the same. Is there any way to have the mini-guide default to favorites rather than all channels, the way I can with the full-screen guide?

 

If not, can I make this suggestion @CommunityHelps to the development team for a future feature enhancement?


The mini-guide displays what the "main" guide displays.

If you chose "favorites" for the main guide, you get just favorites for the "mini" guide.

 

It kind of makes sense if you think about it... if your desire is one thing for the main guide, why would you want anything else for the mini...  although I can see exceptions

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

 


@ColdGranite wrote:

The mini-guide displays what the "main" guide displays.

If you chose "favorites" for the main guide, you get just favorites for the "mini" guide.

 

It kind of makes sense if you think about it... if your desire is one thing for the main guide, why would you want anything else for the mini...  although I can see exceptions


That's what I would have hoped - but mine is not operating that way. I have my default view as "favorites" for the main fullscreen guide (and that works fine BTW), but the mini guide comes up with the "all channels" view each time and I don't see how to change it.

 

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@DrMike wrote:

 


@ColdGranite wrote:

The mini-guide displays what the "main" guide displays.

If you chose "favorites" for the main guide, you get just favorites for the "mini" guide.

 

It kind of makes sense if you think about it... if your desire is one thing for the main guide, why would you want anything else for the mini...  although I can see exceptions


That's what I would have hoped - but mine is not operating that way. I have my default view as "favorites" for the main fullscreen guide (and that works fine BTW), but the mini guide comes up with the "all channels" view each time and I don't see how to change it.

 



Interesting.

 

Try this:  

Regardless of what you have set as the "default" in "preferences"...

...go up into the guide settings themselves:

Hit guide twice to get you up there, then select the "favorites star", and the "enter" button.

Then exit out, and try the mini guide again.

 

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

@ColdGranite wrote:

 

Try this:  

Regardless of what you have set as the "default" in "preferences"...

...go up into the guide settings themselves:

Hit guide twice to get you up there, then select the "favorites star", and the "enter" button.

Then exit out, and try the mini guide again.

 


Things just got more interesting....

 

After I penned my last response, I went back to the TV and tried again and lo and behold the miniguide WAS just showing favorites. For sure it was NOT doing that earlier, so maybe it took awhile for the setting to take effect.

 

But then spurred by your last post, I got to wondering if it might just be reflecting the LAST view, not the (so-called) default view and sure enough, that is what it is doing. If my last view in full screen guide was ALL channels, that is what the miniguide was. If I change the last view of the full guide to Favorites, then THAT is what the miniguide also shows.

 

But in the course of doing this I also discovered that the DEFAULT I (thought) I set under >settings>preferences>default guide view is meaningless. I set it to FAVORITES and believed that was actually working. It is NOT. If I change the guide view manually to any other view, and then exit, the guide comes back in the LAST VIEW, not what I set as the DEFAULT view. So as long as those are the same (i.e. I don't venture away from "favorites" as my channel view) then my "default" is set - not because it is a true default but because it seems to remember what I did last time. And then the miniguide follows suit.

 

Very poor and misleading  implementation my view...

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

Is there a way that when you set the guide to your desired list, that it also affect the CH+/- buttons, so we can channel surf only to our favorites or Free to Me channels?

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@ReneHache wrote:

Is there a way that when you set the guide to your desired list, that it also affect the CH+/- buttons, so we can channel surf only to our favorites or Free to Me channels?


Doesn't look like it.  Probably the best way to do that is use the right arrow to get the mini guide, then "surf" up and down that.

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@DrMike wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

 

Try this:  

Regardless of what you have set as the "default" in "preferences"...

...go up into the guide settings themselves:

Hit guide twice to get you up there, then select the "favorites star", and the "enter" button.

Then exit out, and try the mini guide again.

 


Things just got more interesting....

 

After I penned my last response, I went back to the TV and tried again and lo and behold the miniguide WAS just showing favorites. For sure it was NOT doing that earlier, so maybe it took awhile for the setting to take effect.

 

But then spurred by your last post, I got to wondering if it might just be reflecting the LAST view, not the (so-called) default view and sure enough, that is what it is doing. If my last view in full screen guide was ALL channels, that is what the miniguide was. If I change the last view of the full guide to Favorites, then THAT is what the miniguide also shows.

 

But in the course of doing this I also discovered that the DEFAULT I (thought) I set under >settings>preferences>default guide view is meaningless. I set it to FAVORITES and believed that was actually working. It is NOT. If I change the guide view manually to any other view, and then exit, the guide comes back in the LAST VIEW, not what I set as the DEFAULT view. So as long as those are the same (i.e. I don't venture away from "favorites" as my channel view) then my "default" is set - not because it is a true default but because it seems to remember what I did last time. And then the miniguide follows suit.

 

Very poor and misleading  implementation my view...


The "default" is applied when you reboot the TV box.  

It looks like that is the only time that the default-guide "preference setting" is relevant.

 

Re: Ignite TV Mini Guide

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

@ColdGranite wrote:


The "default" is applied when you reboot the TV box.  

It looks like that is the only time that the default-guide "preference setting" is relevant.

 


Yep. That seems to have done it. Thanks.

 

I guess I should have thought of that since a computer very often needs to be restarted before changes take effect, but I never assumed that for the STB.

 

Which also points out my general beef of a woeful lack of any sort of adequate documentation of how to use the Ignite equipment, be that the STB, or the modem or anything else.  Even a simple thing like what do the LED lights on the XB6 modem mean, is nowhere (easily) to be found.

 

Thank goodness for this Forum and for trial-by-fire approaches.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3791 views
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation