cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Internet - Google devices connection issues

thatguy34324234
I've been here awhile

Hi everyone,
I've spent a good chunk of time on the phone with Rogers support attpting to resolve this, but haven't found a fix yet. Hoping someone here might be able to help...

I recently upgraded to the Rogers gigabit internet from 150 and immediately started having issues with my google devices.

I have 2 Google homes and 2 chromecasts.

After we upgraded, the devices were having issues connecting to the network. Sometimes the devices would be found, other times they would not. When the devices were found, it would take a long time for it to respond/begin streaming.

I factory reset all the Google products, now they won't connect at all. I've tried rebooting the router, renaming the wifi network, and gone through the settings on the router. Nothing seems to work..

I had another google home that was still in the box and I did not have a problem connecting with that one.
I also tried using my phone as a hotspot, and one of the old google homes connected to that fine.

Anyone know why my old google products that were working fine, don't like the new network?

*Added Labels*

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ignite TV Internet - Google devices connection issues

RogersMoin

Hello, @thatguy34324234.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting Google devices connections issues; it's quite puzzling. It may not be related to upgrading the Internet package as the upgrade will not change any configuration on the modem. 

Did you upgrade the modem while upgrading the Internet package? Do you have the CODA-4582 modem?

I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have done so far, have you tried doing the factory reset on the modem yet?

Keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Cannot Connect to Google Services on Home Internet Network

We had the Rogers installed on Saturday, April 13, 2019 and can't connect our 2 home minis to the wifi.  We have spent hours trying to figure it out and reset both home minis.  No luck on connecting.  A technician was here on another matter and he couldn't get them to connect to the wifi.  He even tried using the Google Home App on his phone in case it was our phone that was creating the problem.   We got to the Configuration Stage and after a few minutes the screen said "unable to authenticate".  We are seniors and not very tech savy.

Can someone please give us some direction to fix this.

Hi RogersMoin,

My modem was upgraded in the process.  I now have the Technicolor CGM4140COM.

Good evening @User8220 & @thatguy34324234,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for posting @User8220! I'm all about home automation. I had a similar issue connecting one of my Smart Switches to my Mesh network. After some troubleshooting, I figured out the Switch was connecting to the 2.4G and my phone was connecting to the 5G network. I had to turn off bandsteering to connect it, then I was able to enable it again.

To explain it further, the Rogers Ignite Modem offers default bandsteering, which automatically connects your devices to the Wi-Fi network with the strongest signal under one Wi-Fi name instead of having a different name for the 2.4G Wi-Fi network and the 5G Wi-Fi network. 

As a troubleshooting step, I'd like to give this a try. Below are the steps on how to turn off bandsteering.

1. While connected to your Wi-Fi network, open an internet browser on your computer or device. 
2. Enter https://10.0.0.1 and hit Enter. 
3. Sign in with the following credentials:
◦ Username: Admin 
◦ Password: Your Wi-Fi password or default “password” 

4. Select Gateway
5. Select Connection
6. Select Status
7. Select Edit for the 5G Wi-Fi network and add -5G to the end of your Wi-Fi name.

xb6-arris1-gui-status-screen-edit-highlight.jpg

8. Save the changes.

Once this is done, try doing the setup again. If successful, you may want to turn bandsteering back on. Just follow the same steps above and remove the -5G you added and save the changes.

Please let us know how you make out!

Thanks,

RogersTim

Am2k
I've been here awhile

Google Chromecast not connecting to Ignite TV

I changed over to IGNITE TV and now my first generation Chromecast will not connect.

When I try to cast I get 'No devices found' message.

I googled this issue and wasn't able to find any solutions.

Anybody having this issue or are have a solution? 

Hi @Am2k,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! Thanks for your post.

We sure hope we can help you resolve this issue.

Have you had a chance to take a look at the potential fix suggested by RogersTim above.

Feel free to give it a try! You can find it in message 5 of the thread. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you require further assistance!

RogersMaude

Am2k
I've been here awhile

Thanks I separated my bands to _24g and 5g.

I tried connecting to Chromecast using both bands but still not able to connect to chromecast.

Hey @Am2k,

Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps! There shouldn't be anything preventing the Chromecast from connecting to your Ignite Gateway. Have you gone through this checklist? Or tried these setup steps again from the Google Home app?

Good luck!

RogersTim

Spud7530
I've been around

I changed to ignite and immediately had

problems with Chromecast.

Had tech person here Sept 10 and he

helped with a couple of other problems

but could not help with picture freezing

up and sometimes kicking out on Chromecast.

Why sell and change things when no one

can help when you have problems.

If their team can not solve the problem then

how do they expect us to do it.

I asked before changing to ignite if it

would still operate Chromecast and the answer was yes.

now they will not answer email.

As myself being a tech support person (for another company), being able and know how to support EVERY internet connected device.. will never happen.  There is no way they can know how to do all of them.
(Basics maybe, yes, but not all details).

The techs out to the house, even more so, are techs for setting up the MODEMS and TV boxes, and often dont know a lot about computers network setup, etc.  Its not part of their job.

I have talked to others, that have used the chromecast with Ignite just fine.

I am wondering if its more of a SIGNAL issue.  That the chromecast is not picking up a good enough signal, or that there is interference with it. 

thatguy34324234
I've been here awhile
After hours on the phone with support I have given up. Google recommended trying some settings which even support wasn't able to access.
I fixed the problem by bridging through the Rogers modem and setting up my own router.

Dire
I plan to stick around

we got ignite tv, internet and the wifi hub yesterday, and it’s been nothing but a headache to get setup correctly. The worst has been my 2 chromecasts, the hub absolutely refuses to recognize them. I’ve reset both chromecast, reset the wifi hub, changed the connection name to use -5G at the end. Nothing works. They are both first gen chromecast devices and worked flawlessly with my other modem. Has anyone else had a similar issue, or even better has anyone found a solution I’m really frustrated after 5 hours of troubleshooting and constantly hitting a brick wall so any help would be appreciated.

Hello, @Dire.

I appreciate your patience with the first-gen Chromecast setup. It can only connect to a 2.4GHz network. At times such devices may encounter difficulties connecting when band steering is in use. 

By default, the band steering is enabled on XB6 modems. It's required so all the set-top boxes and devices automatically connect to the best band/network either to 2.4GHz or 5GHz based on device capabilities, signal strength and congestion.

If you have changed the name of the 5GHz network, please revert it so both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz have the same name. 

I suggest trying the following steps:

You can also check the Chromcast firmware version and update it if required. 

Please make sure you to enable back the 5GHz network after setting up Chromecast.

If still help is required, you may want to check out Chromecast Community

Cheers,

RogersMoin

duck
I've been around
We have exact same issue when we switched from Bell to Ignite. All google devices will not connect. We trouble shooted and call tech support. Totally useless.

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @duck!

Sorry to hear you weren't able to get assistance through support! I can understand wanting to get your Google devices up and running as soon as possible. Assuming you're still having the issue, we'd be happy to assist!

Can you confirm for us:

• What Google devices you're unable to connect
  • What modem you're currently using
  • What troubleshooting steps you've attempted thus far from this thread

Thanks!

@RogersAndy

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersAndy  Can you check to see whether we currently have "AP Isolation" enabled on the XB6 as part of our default provisioning?  If so, that would explain many of the Wi-Fi connectivity issues that users are reporting.  I can't test this myself because I connect to Wi-Fi through an external mesh network.

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey -G-! 

The XB6A/T modem's to my knowledge are not set with AP Isolation (Guest Mode) enabled by default.

Though I'm not entirely certain what's causing the connectivity concern for those impacted here, it is something I'm looking into. Given that it seems to be a relatively rare occurrence, I'm interested to know if the troubleshooting steps provided are able to resolve the issue for those affected.

@RogersAndy

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersAndy  Thanks.  This is a REALLY weird problem.

I found some interesting articles where users in corporate network environments were also having problems connecting their Chromecasts to enterprise-grade Wi-Fi networks that had Band Steering enabled.  (Basically, the problem was that the Chromecast was trying to connect to the AP at 2.4 GHz (including 5GHz-capable clients) but due to the band-steering logic, the AP was not responding to the auth request and the device could never connect.)  It primarily affected first-time connections and attempts to connect after performing a factory reset.  A workaround was to first connect the Chromecast to a completely different Access Point (with the same SSID/passphrase) but with Band Steering disabled/no radio preference, after which the Chromecast would be able to reconnect to other Wi-Fi access points elsewhere in the organization without issue.

Disabling Band Steering on the XB6 should allow the Chromecast to connect.  However, if it still refuses to... if you happen to have another Wi-Fi router, you could try to set it up with the same SSID and passphrase as the XB6 and then try to connect the Chromecast to that router.  If that works, see if the Chromecast will now connect to the XB6.  Obviously, this will have to be done with great care because the router and XB6's Wi-Fi networks would be in conflict with one another but it still might be worth trying if absolutely nothing else will work.

Avinash90
I plan to stick around

Separating the 2.4G and 5G did not solve this problem.  I had not problems with the old white modem.  This problem only started happening when I upgraded to Ignite Internet/TV/Home Monitoring and got the black Ignite modem.  Please fix this problem.

Hello, @Avinash90.

Thank you for joining this discussion, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for trying to separate the bands; it's disappointing that your devices are not connecting to your home network. 

Can you provide us with more details on all the devices that are not connecting? Like the models, firmware version, etc. 

We have discussed a similar situation in connecting 2.4GHz devices to the network. Check out this thread from post 22 onwards. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats