Ignite TV - Intermittent Black Screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Ignite TV - Intermittent Black Screen

Recently switched to Rogers Ignite, so far no impressed.  My wife and I watch different TV's, I have fewer problems in particular and don't have the so called "Black Screen" problem my wife's TV which is much newer daily has the "Black Screen" problem which did not exist prior to switching to Ignite.  We both experience the picture "Freezing" for a few seconds daily.  There are more negatives to Ignite than positives.

Gerry

*** Added Labels ***

Re: Ignite TV - Intermittent Black Screen

Hello @gerryland,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

After reading your post, I don't blame you for feeling unimpressed with the service. Dealing with a black screen and freezing issues make it really hard to enjoy your TV service.

From what you've described, it sounds like there is a possible WiFi related issue as a signal issue to your home/area would usually affect both TVs in the same way. Is the TV you are using much closer to the Ignite TV Internet modem than your Wife's TV? Can you let us know how many bars of WiFi is displayed on her TV? You can see this by pressing the "Rogers" button on the remote, the WiFi bars will be located to the right of the Time and Temperature, directly above the gear symbol for the Settings. There should be up to 3 bars lit up indicating approximate signal strength.

We definitely want to get this resolved for you and look forward to your response!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having a similar problem but it just started this month after having no problem since January.

In my case, the Ignite box is connected to my receiver which then outputs an HDMI to the TV. I've paired the remote to my TV. When I turn on the Power with the Ignite remote, both the receiver and the TV come on. But lately the TV cannot pick up a signal. This is not the case when I use my Apple TV routed through the same receiver and the same HDMI output to the TV.

The only way to get the TV to receive the Rogers signal is to unplug the Ignite box and re-plug it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RayW46 that sounds like an HDMI-CEC failure on the part of the Rogers Xi6a.  Would you happen to know if there has been any firmware update for the Xi6a?  @RogersDarrell, firmware updates for both XB6 modem versions and the Xi6a set top box should be posted as is currently done for the Hitron modems.  With that history available, it might be possible to consider whether or not a recent update is causing issues such as that seen by @RayW46 .

I've Been Here Awhile

Keep getting black screen

Hello,

I just had ignite installed yesterday and my wired tv keeps flicking to a black screen for a few minutes how do I get this fixed?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As per the post above.. I would try something, just to see if is what is causing the issue.

Try turning the HDMI CEC off.

May be listed as something different in the TV settings.  But its what allows other devices to send signals for stuff to the TV.  (IE when you turn on the other device, that it auto switches to that tv input, etc)

I understand that some may USE this feature.  But at least by turning it off, if it fixes the issue, can narrow down what needs to be reported as broken.

I've Been Here Awhile

I tried turning CEC off to no affect.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Schelle : What is the exact make/model of your TV?  Sometimes the HDMI-CEC signal doesn't work properly and the incorrect format is sent to the TV. Try going into the Ignite settings and choosing a different format - say 1080i which most HDTVs can receive without issue.

Also, sometimes the HDMI cable can be an issue for certain signals, or it may not be making good contact at both ends. Try unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable a few times to ensure a good electrical connection. Also, what HDMI cable are you using, what is the length, etc.?

The other problem that comes up often is a poor signal at your home or neighbourhood. If the above doesn't help, then call Rogers and have them check your signal.

I've Been Around

TV's gone black. All of them. Have internet. Had to reboot modem yesterday and worked for a while. Now its gone again. System surely not ready for prime time. Cable connection 100% better

Hello, @Johnny51.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for joining this discussion and sharing your experience. The black screen indicates a communication issue between the STB and the modem. It could be related to WiFi interference. 

Is this happening on more than one TV? Have you noticed any issues with other WiFi devices?

Cheers,

RogersMoin