Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Hi there.  I have an ongoing concern with this response.  Prior to agreeing to move away from Nextbox and into the ignite ecosystem, I dealt with the "office of the president".  They connected me with "Tech support" who confirmed that ignite and all its components (tv etc) will work just fine with my Orbi mesh network.  I was advised to "just put your rogers ignite modem into bridge mode".  The concerns are twofold:

1.  Why is "Tech support" indicating this will be a "no problem" experience if you're telling me that the lab only tests with your own products?  This is clearly a communication gap which leads to significant customer frustration, and no doubt an influx of calls to your team.

2.  Turns out, with the configuration the tech support person recommended, I cannot take full advantage of what ignite has to offer, ie. anywhere TV (or whatever your proprietary name is).  The app will not connect to my network, because it can't find the ignite router.  More than slightly frustrating.

Ya'll need to work on communication.  Centralize.  Knock down silos.  Whatever, just do better.  I pay too much money to you all as a virtual monopoly (no Fibe available in my area or believe me, I'd be gone).

As a closing comment, I've followed up directly with the office of the president on this, and one other outstanding matter.  I have phone numbers and emails for 3 separate people... have had ZERO attempt at a reply after a month of trying.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kokothefirst wrote:

2.  Turns out, with the configuration the tech support person recommended, I cannot take full advantage of what ignite has to offer, ie. anywhere TV (or whatever your proprietary name is).  The app will not connect to my network, because it can't find the ignite router.  More than slightly frustrating.

Are you using the Rogers "Ignite TV" mobile app?  The Rogers "Anyplace TV" app cannot be used by Ignite TV customers.

1. Why is "Tech support" indicating this will be a "no problem" experience if you're telling me that the lab only tests with your own products? This is clearly a communication gap which leads to significant customer frustration, and no doubt an influx of calls to your team.

I think the message that they were trying to convey was that the Ignite TV set-top boxes do not rely on any proprietary WiFi extensions and should work fine with 3rd-party WiFi access points, including your Orbi mesh.  If you were to run into any problems down the road, they cannot "officially" support that configuration... but it should work.

FYI, Rogers initially offered the eero WiFi mesh solution in early Ignite TV installations.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just picked up a few Telus wifi boost mesh pods and am wondering if anyone would know if these could be added to my rogers wifi to extend the signal even further.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just picked up a couple of used Telus Wi-Fi boost pods and I'm wondering if I can add those to my existing ignite Wi-Fi along with the rogers pods. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Brent4 wrote:
I just picked up a few Telus wifi boost mesh pods and am wondering if anyone would know if these could be added to my rogers wifi to extend the signal even further.

I have no idea.  I know that ISP Pods have different firmware than retail Plume Pods but I don't know if Pods from one ISP can be activated on another.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

So would I have to hardwire an ethernet cable to my ignite tv then set it up as a mesh system or?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@haddad94 wrote:
So would I have to hardwire an ethernet cable to my ignite tv then set it up as a mesh system or?

Welcome to the Community!

The WiFi mesh systems on the market have a "primary" node that acts as the connection point to the mesh network, along with one or more "secondary" nodes that connect to the primary node (or, sometimes, to another secondary node) to form the mesh.  The primary node usually also acts as a router/firewall (like other conventional WiFi routers) or it can also (usually) be placed in "bridge mode", where it will act as an WiFi access point for an external router.

The parent node of the mesh network would connect to the Ignite XB6 modem/gateway using an Ethernet cable.

The simplest (and least problematic way) to run Ignite TV over your own mesh network would be to put your WiFi mesh into "bridge mode" and disable WiFi on the Ignite XB6 gateway.

The Ignite TV set-top boxes are streaming devices that connect to your in-home network.  They can connect using either an Ethernet cable or to WiFi.