Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

It is all good now. I had to disable Bridge on Ignite modem to enable Ignite Gateway for the TV. Once this was up and running then I changed wifi to my mesh network manually on TV box and re-enabled Bridge on the Ignite modem. All Good now...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Absolutely the simplest solution! Thanks...worked like a dream!!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

OK.  So my internet has been working but still fighting a few problems and looking for some advice and help.  Running a TP-Link Deco M5 with the three access points.  Setup by the tech at the time of install.  He said won’t be a problem or should not have any issues.  It does work mostly really well.  But a couple of ongoing issues.  

Deco M5 parental control seem to be locking out my kids devices.  I have time limits, bed time shut down etc but the time doesn’t seem to be working.  If I turn that feature off the devices connect perfectly.  

Odd and can’t figure out why?

Sonos One speakers connect but I can’t always control them unless I toggle device wifi on and off or forget the network and reconnect to wifi.  Tells me the Sonos are on the Deco or Arris XB6.

A couple of of questions....

- How good is the start out of the box Arris XB6 router?  I ask because I never did try it.

- Parental control in the Wifi Hub?

- How did tell what network my ignite tv box’s are connected.  Tried the options in the thread but I don’t get any screen.

The reason I ask I am growing increasingly confused by what the Deco and Arris XB6 Wifi hub show as connected devices.  The Rogers Arris XB6 shows more than the Deco.  Can’t understand why if the tech put the device in Bridge mode.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Can’t remember the router login info 😞 to access, view, change or modify the settings. Not sure if I ever changed it. Not the basic Admin & password. Help?
Highlighted

Greetings @tiganifamily!

You can find the pertinent instructions on how to do this here: How to Change your Rogers Ignite Modem Wi-Fi Password

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey  I don't think that @tiganifamily  wanted to change the Wi-Fi password; they wanted to reset the modem's admin password so that they can log in with a web browser.  As far as I know, the only way to do this is to perform a Factory Reset and then reconfigure the XB6 gateway from scratch.  The Rogers instructions on how to Reset the Rogers Ignite Modem isn't helpful in this case because it assumes that you know the admin password.  Another way to reset the XB6 back to factory defaults is to perform a Paper Clip Reset.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You are correct.  I couldn’t find an alternate way into the router.  I must of changed the credentials at some point in time.  Did the paper clip trick.  The router is up and running.  Testing the router itself.  No TP-link Deco M5 Mesh setup at the moment.  I thought it would be interesting to see how well just the router itself functioned.  It is function well, not sure the coverage or the speed is the same but figured I might test the traditional setup for a few days.  

Noe that I can into the router setting I do see the “Bridge” option and that should deactivate router.  This would allow me to use the Deco M5 setup as before.

When I did get into the router it was using the router features and the wifi from the TP-link Deco M5.  So the setting was matched or copied over.   Only one visible network option but the XB6 would have been pumping out 2.5 and 5....copied that so it allow device to pick.  The TP-Link Deco had the same info. 

If I understand that correctly 4 options with the same info this might have certainly contributed to the connection issues with my wireless printer and Sonos speakers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm thinking of reusing my Velop mesh network to have a second "guest" network that certain devices will use.   My parent Velop node was previously connected to the Rogers ignite modem and had its own gateway of 192.168.1.1 and its own SSID (which worked well) and had a 4-port switch working off that.  I've now disconnected the Velop and  plugged in a 4-port switch directly to the Rogers modem.  It's working well right now.  

Can I just reattach the Velop parent node into one of the Ignite nodes and leave the Velop settings as-is?  

Highlighted

Hello @mdesrochers2!

Using our gateway, a switch and a mesh network in this way could potentially result in conflicts. 

It doesn't hurt to try and test it out though! You can always detach the mesh network if an issue pops up.

If you were to encounter issues, it would be outside of our scope of support as we can only support our equipment directly. Perhaps one of our other Community members has experience with a similar setup and can offer some further insight. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I fixed this by turning off bridge mode, let the boxes use the Rogers modem/wifi to register and they started working again, then flipped the modem back to bridge mode and the boxes back to my mesh

Must be some sort of check the system does to allow the boxes to access the streaming services