Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

I went to link proved to me above and followed the instructions. I also saw another link that advised and I followed: changed the name and password of my Ignite network to match the mesh Network name and password. When it resets all the TVs worked. Before that step I turned on bridge and TVs didn’t work. I wasn’t sure how to connect but the above step made it so much easier. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite Arris XB6 --- Extender/Mesh --- Arris Surfboard Max???

Good day,

Just wondering if anyone has had an success with MESH systems or extenders with the Arris XB6 modem/router.  I know Arris just released the Surfboard Max system and thought it may be a possibility seeing as its made by the same manufacturer.  Every time I call in to ask usually just the the answer of “don’t”. 

Please and thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some others on here have got them going..

I am using the rogers supplied one and its working fine.

I think a lot is in HOW its set up.
-modem in modem only mode, mesh doing it all, which can have extra tv setup

-modem in router mode with wireless off, mesh only doing wireless, etc.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@pwc_brick1I don't think that there is any advantage (or reason) to purchase Arris-branded Wi-Fi gear.  I'm using a Linksys Velop and I have not run into any issues whatsoever.  Rogers also offers (and fully supports) the eero Wi-Fi mesh.  The most important thing is that each Xi6 set-top box needs to have good connectivity, your Wi-Fi network must be installed correctly, and you need to monitor your Wi-Fi environment regularly to ensure you don't have any channel conflicts with neighbouring Wi-Fi gear (or any other sources of interference) that could impede the performance of your home network.  Your Wi-Fi network needs to be rock-solid stable and if you should ever run into any problems, all of your Ignite TV equipment needs to be in a supportable configuration.

I've Been Around

1. Press and hold EXIT on your Rogers remote for your Ignite TV until you see the work LIVE presented on your TV

2. Press the Arrow Key on your Rogers remote for your Ignite TV down twice (Note: there will be no visual indication that you are entering a set up)

3. Enter the Code 9434 (Note: there will be no visual indication that you are entering a set up, you may see the search screen pop up)

4. Select Manual Set Up to configure your Mesh WiFi

I've Been Around

OK.  Very new to Ignite world.  I have to first admit I was very skeptical but it is working near perfect!  Rock solid speeds and no buffering or reboots etc.  

Here is my situation...I had an older Hiltron Router.  I went into the settings and turned off the wifi.  Used it basically as modem.  I purchased a TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh system for the house.  It really improved the signal strength and availability to the network.  

Back to present setup.  Upgraded to Ignite TV, internet and home phone.  They change to new Ignite modem/router.  When the tech set it up it appears he copied of cloned the SSID of my M5 Mesh setup.  Works great with a but...

I only see only wifi option which is good.  All devices connect.  The but comes with my printer or Sonos speakers.

On the Sonos App I get a message that I am connected to a different wifi.  I think from looking at the Ignite Hub App it is allowing devices to connect directly and to the TP Deco.

So my question what is the best solution to maximize speed, signal availability to my network?  Not really interested in renting some hubs from Rogers.  Thanks for the advice or suggestions.

@tiganifamily wrote:

OK.  Very new to Ignite world.  I have to first admit I was very skeptical but it is working near perfect!  Rock solid speeds and no buffering or reboots etc.  

Here is my situation...I had an older Hiltron Router.  I went into the settings and turned off the wifi.  Used it basically as modem.  I purchased a TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh system for the house.  It really improved the signal strength and availability to the network.  

Back to present setup.  Upgraded to Ignite TV, internet and home phone.  They change to new Ignite modem/router.  When the tech set it up it appears he copied of cloned the SSID of my M5 Mesh setup.  Works great with a but...

I only see only wifi option which is good.  All devices connect.  The but comes with my printer or Sonos speakers.

On the Sonos App I get a message that I am connected to a different wifi.  I think from looking at the Ignite Hub App it is allowing devices to connect directly and to the TP Deco.

So my question what is the best solution to maximize speed, signal availability to my network?  Not really interested in renting some hubs from Rogers.  Thanks for the advice or suggestions.

Usually, the way that Rogers installs a 3rd-party Wi-Fi mesh solution (such as the eero) is to disable WiFi on the XB6 modem, put the mesh into "bridge mode" (what TP-Link calls "AP mode"), and then connect the Xi6 set-top boxes to the Wi-Fi mesh.

If the Rogers tech enabled Wi-Fi on the XB6 AND duplicated your existing SSID and passwords, you could run into all sorts of weird issues, especially if the Deco mesh was left configured as a gateway. If you want to continue using your Deco mesh, you'll want to be in a configuration where WiFi on the XB6 is disabled. (FYI, despite what Rogers tech support says, you can't COMPLETELY disable WiFi on the XB6 so you'll also want to ensure that it's not using the same channels as your Deco mesh, before you disable WiFi and lose access to the channel configuration. If you don't do this, the XB6 could be a source of WiFi interference.)

Which SSID are your set-top boxes currently connected to? (To find out, press and hold the Exit button on your remote for 3 seconds, press the "down" button twice, then press "2". A white status page should open. Press the "up" button to view the "WiFi Details". Press "Exit" to exit this screen.) Are they connected to the SSID of your Deco Wi-Fi mesh?

One configuration that uses your Deco mesh (where you'll get the most support from Rogers) is where the XB6 is in gateway mode, WiFi on the XB6 is disabled, and your Deco is in AP mode. You'll still see all devices in the XB6's device management but you won't be able to manage your WiFi devices through the Ignite WiFi Hub. You also won't be able to use the Deco's full Wi-Fi management capabilities.

If your Deco is currently in gateway mode and the Ignite TV set-top boxes are connected to the mesh and are still working, another option would be to put your XB6 into "bridge mode" and use the Deco exclusively. In this configuration, you'll be using the Deco as you had been before switching to Ignite TV. This is a TOTALLY unsupported configuration, from a Rogers perspective, but we can still help you to get this working... if you want to go that route. You'll also need to make sure that you can quickly put your XB6 back into gateway mode, if you should ever need to contact Rogers for support.

I've Been Around

Hi!

I too just switched to Ignite and previously had the deco M5 set up and working great for my entire home.  When ignite was just installed I didn't get much help from the tech to configure the TP-Link, and of course, I get very poor coverage in my basement.   IWhat would the best configuration for Deco M5 starting from scratch?  Not the savviest at these things so Im hoping for some help! Smiley Happy

Cheers,

MM

I've Been Around

Hi 

I've just set up a NetGear ORBI "mesh" ( technically ORBI is spoke and hub), and was unable to get the Ignite set top boxes to use the "mesh" WiFi network. Holding down the "exit" button does nothing. It is possible to get to the WiFi settings menu of the set top box using the "ROGERS" button and then the settings icon but that DOES NOT allow you to change the wifi network the set top box uses. So in the end I set the ORBI router to AP mode and now have two networks, one for the Ignite TV and the other for the ORBI mesh wifi network. This works for us because all the Ignite TV set top boxes get a good signal from the Ignite Router - and then ORBI mesh network is for all the other devices across the house where the Ignite WiFi was not reaching very well, if at all.

Anyway, although this works well ( we get fabulous coverage from the ORBI) I find it a bit annoying  that we have two WiFi networks. I gather one solution is to "trick" the set top boxes by disabling the Rogers router Wi-Fi and renaming the other (ORBI) wifi to have the same SSID as the old Rogers SSID, but really what a dirty hack? Why doesn't the set top box allow us to just pick a wifi network?

Thx. 

@loopy1 wrote:

I've just set up a NetGear ORBI "mesh" ( technically ORBI is spoke and hub), and was unable to get the Ignite set top boxes to use the "mesh" WiFi network. Holding down the "exit" button does nothing.

To get to the Wi-Fi pairing menu, you need to press and hold the "Exit" button for 3 seconds, then press the "Down" button twice, then punch in "9434".  ("9434" is easy to remember: it spells "WIFI")