Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Hello I have rogers ignite wifi and tv, I also have google wifi mesh. When the rogers tech set up my tv he named the rogers ignite wifi the same name as my google wifi mesh, and now when im setting up my sonos it became a huge mesh with some speakers hooking up to the ignite and other to the google mesh, 

my question is if i go into the rogers ignite settings and change the wifi name from "GoogleWifi" to "IgniteTv" will I need to go to the tv settings and change the wifi setup

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@torontowireless wrote:

my question is if i go into the rogers ignite settings and change the wifi name from "GoogleWifi" to "IgniteTv" will I need to go to the tv settings and change the wifi setup

You certainly could do that.  The downside to this approach is that anything connecting to your Google WiFi mesh would be doing a "double NAT" and you might also run into some IPv6 connectivity issues because you would be running two router/firewalls back-to-back.  The "fix" for this would be to put your Google WiFi into bridge mode and run two separate WiFi networks in parallel.  However, before you even consider going this approach, you will need to verify that the XB6 provides a "good enough" signal to your Xi6 set-top boxes:  Temporarily, turn off your Google WiFi mesh, reboot your set-top boxes, and check their WiFi connectivity by going to "Device Settings > Network: GoogleWiFi" ; It should say that your WiFi signal is either Good or Excellent.  If the connection to your XB6 is weak or poor from any of your set-top boxes, this will not be a viable solution for you.

Another alternative (and my personal favourite choice) would be keep the duplicate WiFi config on the XB6, disable WiFi on the XB6, and then put your Google WiFi solution into bridge mode.  You'll then be using the Google WiFi for all wireless connectivity and the XB6 as a Modem/Gateway/Firewall.  If you run into any technical issues, Rogers would still be able to test your Cable Internet link and run diagnostics on the XB6.  If you should ever need to fall back to a "fully supported" Ignite TV installation, all that you need to do is re-enable WiFi on the XB6 and power-off your Google WiFi mesh while the Rogers techs troubleshoot.  The downside is that in bridge more, you'll also lose some of the advanced features that your Google WiFi solution provides.

The last alternative would be to put your XB6 into bridge mode (which would disable the "GoogleWiFi" SSID on the XB6) and use your Google WiFi mesh for all network connectivity.  This is an "unsupported" configuration from a Rogers perspective but it should work.  If you should need technical support from Rogers, the fallback solution would be to disable bridge mode on the XB6, power off your Google WiFi mesh, and reboot your Xi6 set-top boxes.  When Rogers finishes their troubleshooting, you can revert back to your previous configuration.  You'll be able to take full advantage of the Google WiFi solution's capabilities but you'll also be on your own when it comes to troubleshooting any technical difficulties that might arise.

I've Been Here Awhile

Google mesh works fine with 3 months experience. Set up by tech. Beware ignorant techs.

Thank you for sharing your experience @pilotus!

Welcome to our Community!

I'm sure there will be many other customers relieved to hear Google Mesh can work as an alternative!

Please understand that, in the lab, we only tested this service with our own products. We generally recommend against using third-party products simply because if something goes wrong, we won't be able to offer end to end support for that product.

Third-party products may work, we just can't guarantee it or offer support for them. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

Hello
It’s all fixed and figured out. Thank you for all the response.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

With respect, my google mesh link to TV was installed by a  rogers tech in 5 minutes and he told me it was on a supported list. How could Rogers not support a Google product : it's extant, simple (15 minute setup) and powerful! Just sayin! I've never had faster, more stable wifi in my home, or better coverage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers technically doesnt 'support' anything outside their modem.
They can guarantee that their modem (and any other hardware) might be working.

But beyond that, they cant guarantee that ANY other internet based product will necessarily work.

They are not responsible for setting up those items for the end user.
So in losts of cases, there are 1000's of devices which might work perfectly fine on the rogers internet/equipment.
BUT the support people will not be able to specifically help with those devices.
thats where the 'dont support' part is.