Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Mesh is no different than using your own router, and set Modem to the bridge mode. Just follow my instruction above. You shall have no problem..

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Velop mesh running perfectly with my Ignite package.

1) Disable wi-fi on Rogers modem.
2) Run Velop in Bridge mode (essentially a misnamed Access Point mode)

Rogers modem is *not* in bridge mode.

All Velop nodes are getting ipv6 addresses and the ignite boxes work perfectly wired or wireless. I have them wired to either the switch attached to my main Velop node or directly to a Velop node in the remote locations.

I lost all of the advanced controls for the Velop such as device prioritizarion but that’s less important than having decent connectivity!
I've Been Around

Does exit,down,down,9434 still work? Nothing happens for me. I can get into the diagnostics screen with ROGERS, down, down, 2 but that doesn’t allow me to change the stb wifi settings.

i changed the network SSID and need to adjust my stb accordingly...where do I configure the wifi settings on the stb?

I Plan to Stick Around

Make sure you don't have ethernet connected while you perform this task..

I'm Here A Lot

I am wanting to hook up my google wifi to my Ignite router but it’s not seeing it. What am I missing?

Hey @kimmer2,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for your post! 🙂

A Mesh network can certainly give you extra Wi-Fi coverage around your home. Please have a look through the previous posts of this thread, as some other Community members have had success setting up their Mesh networks.

You may need to factory reset your Mesh network to start from scratch. Please take a look at this YouTube tutorial on the setup process, found here

RogersTim

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you - I have done all of that, reset my Google Wifi to factory settings to start the process over again.  It would not see the information from the Rogers modem.   I have tried it about 4 times.  I will try again tonight.  I can't get past that initial step.  When I had it through the Bell modem, it was instant, just as the video link showed.  Couldn't have been easier.  This is not working like that....which was the reason for my posted question. I thought I was missing something that should be quite simple!  The app just spins as its looking for the information so I don't even get to the other steps.  I haven't contacted Google help as of yet, thought I would start here given this is a new service for me.  Wish me luck.  Maybe 5th time will be the charm?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kimmer2 the video for the google mesh network is pretty simplistic to say the least.  There is no mention of whether the modem can operate in Gateway or Bridge mode, but it appears that the google mesh network expects the modem to be operating in Gateway mode(??).  The point was made in the video that the Google system replaces the "router" to provide whole home coverage.  The online documentation indicates that the Google wifi system uses a Stateful Firewall, so, you could in theory run the modem in Bridge mode.  If you wanted to try that, have a look at the following post by @Ookpic :

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

It looks like your having problems at the very beginning and when you say that "It would not see the information from the Rogers modem." I'm assuming that the google node can't see the modem.   That would suggest a cable or connector issue.  I'd remove the cable connector from the modem and google node and reconnect them.  Since the modem has two ethernet ports, try the other ethernet port.  If that doesn't work, try another ethernet cable that works with other devices, just on the theory that the cable that you're currently using might have developed a problem with the connectors or the cable itself. .  

Since the google mesh network is supposed to replace the existing wifi system, that really leaves you with a couple of possibilities:

1.  You can leave the modem wifi running and use it to connect to the tv's; or

2.  Disable the modem wifi and use the meshnetwork only.  That's my take on the setup video.  If that's what you're doing, you will have to use the same network names and passphrases, or, if you prefer to use your own network name and passphrase, you can manually enter the network passphrase into the Xi6-A set top box.  Here's the instruction for doing that:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Note that the Google wifi system doesn't support WPS, which the XI6-a set top box does.  So, you can't pair the set top boxes to the mesh network using WPS.  In any event, WPS isn't secure, which is why Google doesn't support it.  Score one for google.  Wish every other manufacturer would do the same.  @Gdkitty's instruction should make it easy to set the network name and passphrase in the set top box. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

i got this all figured out. Thank you for your help.
I've Been Here Awhile

It’s useful for anyone experiencing the same issues that you faced to describe how you solved the problem.