Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

I switched from the old netbox tech to the Ignite package last week.  I knew it was going to have a lot of issues, but figured I would give it two weeks and see how it was before swapping over to Bell Fibe.  Sure enough, I'm having nothing but problems.

That being said, the XB6 (CGM4140COM) and connectivity to Rogers appears to be rock solid from what I can tell.  I have a direct network cable to it and have had 0 downtime AFAICT -- so that's a positive.

The issue is with the wireless.  The tech insisted the XB6 box had to be installed in the basement directly on the incoming line.  This is despite the fact I have a coax line running to the middle of my house where I had the previous modem.  Fine.  But sure enough, there's simply not enough range to get WiFi signal to my second floor.

To solve this, the tech installed a RE450 TPLINK extender in my main floor hallway.  What's frustrating for me is I had an RE450 already, and it's a piece of junk.  Constantly freezing, lagging and slowdown problems.  I would have expected a higher grade to be used here.  I noted that I've had nothing but problems with TPLINK in my house, but it's what the tech went with.  Everything setup fine on the three Xi6-A boxes...

Since then, I have all the usual issues -- black screens, frequent rebooting required as things hang, etc, etc.  I'm convinced it's the TPLINK extender.

I realize I could call Rogers and another nice tech will come out, and perhaps install wireline extender(s) or offer me some other setup.  But I figure I might as well bite the bullet and  setup a home mesh, something I likely should have done a couple years ago...

With that context, my questions are:

* If I setup a mesh and keep the same SSID, do I need to (or have Rogers) do anything with the Xi6-A boxes?  Or are they simply driven off the SSID and will happily run through any wireless network I provide for them?  Put another way, does Rogers somehow lock the Xi6-A boxes to the router/system with Mac address or such?

* Any recommendations on mesh networks that people have with Ignite and are happy with?  Google home seems to be very popular in my circles of american friends, but not sure I know of any Canadians who use it with Rogers Ignite.

*Added Labels*

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

@tinious wrote:

I switched from the old netbox tech to the Ignite package last week.  I knew it was going to have a lot of issues, but figured I would give it two weeks and see how it was before swapping over to Bell Fibe.  Sure enough, I'm having nothing but problems.

That being said, the XB6 (CGM4140COM) and connectivity to Rogers appears to be rock solid from what I can tell.  I have a direct network cable to it and have had 0 downtime AFAICT -- so that's a positive.

The issue is with the wireless.  The tech insisted the XB6 box had to be installed in the basement directly on the incoming line.  This is despite the fact I have a coax line running to the middle of my house where I had the previous modem.  Fine.  But sure enough, there's simply not enough range to get WiFi signal to my second floor.

To solve this, the tech installed a RE450 TPLINK extender in my main floor hallway.  What's frustrating for me is I had an RE450 already, and it's a piece of junk.  Constantly freezing, lagging and slowdown problems.  I would have expected a higher grade to be used here.  I noted that I've had nothing but problems with TPLINK in my house, but it's what the tech went with.  Everything setup fine on the three Xi6-A boxes...

Since then, I have all the usual issues -- black screens, frequent rebooting required as things hang, etc, etc.  I'm convinced it's the TPLINK extender.

I realize I could call Rogers and another nice tech will come out, and perhaps install wireline extender(s) or offer me some other setup.  But I figure I might as well bite the bullet and  setup a home mesh, something I likely should have done a couple years ago...

With that context, my questions are:

* If I setup a mesh and keep the same SSID, do I need to (or have Rogers) do anything with the Xi6-A boxes?  Or are they simply driven off the SSID and will happily run through any wireless network I provide for them?  Put another way, does Rogers somehow lock the Xi6-A boxes to the router/system with Mac address or such?

* Any recommendations on mesh networks that people have with Ignite and are happy with?  Google home seems to be very popular in my circles of american friends, but not sure I know of any Canadians who use it with Rogers Ignite.

I had my own ASUS Ai mesh but was told by support that is the cause of my issue so I gave up and went with eero mesh.

Its a great system but not cheap.

Basically they disable the Wi-Fi on the Rogers modem and make it to connect to eero hub and depend on your house size you may need one or two extra beacon.

4.99 for the hub and 4 month for each beacon!!!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, so to be clear -- I am not paying Rogers for a mesh. Either I install one of my own chosing, myself, or I guess I'm done with them (unless there's some other simple fix to the problems I'm having -- coincedentally I just went upstairs to grab a drink, flipped on my main floor TV and it was hung yet again and required a reboot.... Smiley Sad
I Plan to Stick Around

Look elsewhere as every other mesh system causes issue with IgniteTV

I gave up on my ASUS setup and if they don’t fix other issues i’m Jumping ship
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, glad I asked.

Surprised they think a wifi extender would be any better than a mesh.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Honestly i’m Surprised Rogers tech installed TP link!!!
Where did he got that from???
They should be only using eero
I Plan to Stick Around

He was himming and hawing about a power line extender, but went to his truck and installed a TPLINK RE450 instead. I had the exact same model (at first I thought it was different) -- and mine has been nothing but problems. So is this one.
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow!!!
Just priceless ...
I underestand there is charge for eero but they shouldn’t be installing that junk!
Call your concierge and complain
I Plan to Stick Around

Why make things so complex? Just Exit (5sec), down, down,9434. enter the wifi menu, and enter your SSID and password of your mesh..(suppose your Modem is set to bridge. if not search Rogers FAQ). 

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry Sean, are you saying you've been running on a mesh with no problems? If so, which one?