cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - Frustrating Audio Delay!!!

carsoni4
I've been here awhile

When I watch any channel on Ignite TV with Dolby or "Expert" audio selected, there is a very noticeable and frustrating audio delay. The lips move before the sound happens. Switching to STEREO, the sound is fine. 

Sure, I could watch in stereo, but the sound is so much better with Dolby or "Expert"! I can't be the only one who wants to take advantage of multi-channel audio?! 

Resetting the box does not fix the issue. It's been going on for over a year and thought firmware updates would have fixed it by now. 

Is this something Rogers will ever fix?!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ignite TV - Frustrating Audio Delay!!!

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
We'll need more info to try to help.

1. How is ignite hooked up to your tv? Direct ?Thru an audio receiver or soundbar?

2. Make(s) and model(s) of your audio/visual equipment?

If the audio is fine in stereo but not in advanced, the issue may be with settings or the audio processing of your equipment.

carsoni4
I've been here awhile
Ignite box in to TV via HDMI, out to Yamaha HTR 6240 AVR via HDMI.

Have also tried Ignite direct into TV (no AVR) and Ignite into AVR. Same result when using Dolby or Expert OUT. Mouths move before sound.

None of my other sources have this issue. Ignite TV only. Very frustrating.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

Have you tried Ignite connected directly to the AVR? That may give you some options if the audio delay is eliminated. Yes, I know there may be a lot of other factors at play with this setup.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bplayer wrote:

Have you tried Ignite connected directly to the AVR? 

He said he tried that.

Here are my comments/questions.

1. Have you tried rebooting the IgniteTV system - gateway and set top box?

2. Lots of other people have this working, so it's likely not an IgniteTV issue, rather it's something unique to your equipment.

3. Use the Audio Delay (lipsync) adjustments in the AVR. Page 41 of the operating manual - for HDMI, etc.

4. Does this happen with live TV, or recorded programming, or both?

5. If you watch mostly recorded programming, the DD5.1 signal is not properly encoded and the audio will come out the LF & RF speakers only if the AVR is set properly. Therefore the "stereo" setting in IgniteTV will actually be better for watching recordings because they at least will provide proper surround sound by using the Dolby Pro Logic decoder in the AVR, with dialogue out the centre speaker and surround sound from the surround speakers.

6.  Although the sound may be "different" when using Stereo instead of Dolby Or Expert, the latter outputs may not necessarily be superior, especially if watching recordings.  See the following link on the topic of IgniteTV improperly encoded DD5.1 - the linked post and several posts that follow:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/472720/highlight/tr...

7. Live TV does have properly encoded DD5.1.

carsoni4
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried resetting, does not work. And the lips move before the sound, so audio delay does not help. Neither my AVR or TV have a "pre-delay" or video delay option. I do not think many (or any?) TV or AVRs do. 

This happens with Live TV, recorded stuff, everything I watch on the Ignite box when I select "Expert" or Dolby sound. This is the only way to get multi-channel audio out of the Rogers box, which is huge for me as the dialogue is isolated on one channel and much clearer to hear. 

I have no problem when playing content from the TV (such as Netflix straight from the TV and bypassing Ignite), from Blu-Rays, video games, ChromeCast, anything. Only the Ignite box. 

It seems many other people have this issue according to these forums, so I'm hoping Rogers will finally address this and find a fix soon. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carsoni4 wrote:

...the dialogue is isolated on one channel and much clearer to hear. 

I don't have IgniteTV, but it's my understanding that dialogue on recorded (DD5.1) programming comes out the LF & RF speakers if you select Dolby or Expert in the IgniteTV box.  This assumes that the TV passes DD5.1 to the AVR if you're going "through" the TV, or the IgniteTV box is connected directly to the AVR and that the AVR is properly adjusted for DD5.1 signals and doesn't use one of the effect modes like 5-Ch Surround.

If you select "Stereo" in the IgniteTV box and the proper Dolby Pro Logic II decoding in the AVR's settings, then all dialogue should come out the centre speaker, even for recorded programmes, which is what I recommend and appears to be what you want.

Some TVs do not pass DD5.1 signals, rather they get converted typically to 2-Ch PCM.  You should be able to see what the incoming audio signal to the AVR is, either by an indication on the front display, or by pressing an "info" button on the AVR's remote.

You say you tried it, but perhaps you should give another try to connecting the IgniteTV box directly to the AVR and tuning to a live DD5.1 programme (which most, but not all, HD channels are).  Note that if you do connect this way, recorded DD5.1 programming will have the dialogue come out the LF & RF speakers and not the centre speaker, unless you select Stereo in the IgniteTV box and use DPLII decoding in the AVR.

Check out the following FAQ on DD5.1.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-whats-available-in-dd5-1.17870/

Is your Blu-ray player connected "through" the TV or directly to the AVR.  If you're going through the TV, then you're only getting DD5.1 instead of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, which are superior.  Or even worse, if the TV doesn't pass DD5.1, you'll get 2-Ch PCM or similar.  The only way to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD is via a direct HDMI connection to the AVR from the BD player.

moogkp
I've been here awhile
Not sure if your avr has this feature but I had a similar issue and found a lip sync setting on my Denon avr. Works for me.

Bluezmam
I've been here awhile
Doesn’t work for me in stereo only mode

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

Ugh, I'm starting to get the lip sync issue all of the sudden after my first 5 months of Ignite with no problems.

No changes were made to hardware or cables. The box is connected directly to the TV (no AVR/soundbar).

Does anyone know why I'm seeing it all of a sudden now after 5 months of no problems? Was a new firmware pushed out? A soft reboot fixes it for me. I think I had to do it twice over the past week to fix it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hwaiting : What setting are you using for the audio output from the box?  If you're using DD or Expert, try using Stereo as many people have reported that this fixes the issue for them.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation