Ignite TV Feedback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV Feedback

@TeDD13 wrote:
After hectic couple of weeks at home with kids I finally realized that I need TV channels back. So I ordered Ignite TV. After going through many relevant threads I expect a ton of issues. So I just have several questions about the state of Ignite TV in 2020:

1. It seems that Ignite TV is only approved for correct functioning when the Ignite modem is in gateway mode. Can it function as a capable router? Can it do DMZ, VPN, Port Forwarding?

2. Can Ignite TV box be connected to the Ignite gateway through ethernet cable or it can only work through wireless connection?

The typical Rogers-supported configuration is to have the Ignite TV set-top boxes connected via Wi-Fi to the XB6 gateway.  If you should ever run into technical problems, you'll want to be in this configuration when you call Rogers for support.

That said, I am currently running Ignite TV with my XB6 in bridge mode, using my own router (running OpenWrt) and with the set-top boxes connected to my own wireless hardware.  Ignite TV uses IPv6 so the router needs to fully support dual-stack IPv4/IPv6.  This is a TOTALLY unsupported configuration from a Rogers perspective but it does work.  If I run into technical problems, I put everything back into a supported configuration (with the XB6 in Gateway mode) before I call Rogers for support.

Re: #1, it is a capable router and has enough power and throughput to support gigabit speeds to a network client over wired Ethernet.  It has DMZ support.  It also does support port forwarding although some users have reported issues and limitations with port forwarding.  The XB6 does not have a VPN server.

Re: #2, The Xi6 set-top box typically connects via Wi-Fi but I can confirm that it also works fine with (wired) Ethernet.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How do you change the wireless network the Xi6 connects to using the voice remote? I'm trying to use my Archer C9 modem as an access point since connection to the XB6 (with or without pods or Ethernet to pods) is pretty unreliable.  I would like to try it using the XB6 in gateway mode first but that may be complicating things I suppose.  I am not a network expert but do have a good amount of experience at least changing settings in routers etc.  My concern I guess is the IPv6 requirement as I haven't really had to deal with that much.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13 wrote:

How do you change the wireless network the Xi6 connects to using the voice remote?

Press and hold the Exit button for 3 seconds, then key in the following sequence: ⬇️ ⬇️ 9 4 3 4

I'm trying to use my Archer C9 modem as an access point since connection to the XB6 (with or without pods or Ethernet to pods) is pretty unreliable.  I would like to try it using the XB6 in gateway mode first but that may be complicating things I suppose.  I am not a network expert but do have a good amount of experience at least changing settings in routers etc.  My concern I guess is the IPv6 requirement as I haven't really had to deal with that much.

Rogers used to offer the eero Wi-Fi mesh before they switched to Pods.  They disabled Wi-Fi on the XB6 and put the eero mesh into bridge mode.  I suggest that you do the same and put Archer C9 into "AP Mode".

If you want to enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and try using your own router, there's another thread with a few tips on how to do that: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

5 Greatest Failings of Rogers Ignite that NEED to be FIXED !!

1- Not able to record the same show (ie. series) on more than one channel ... as in if Law and Order SVU (new/repeats) are on CTV, I am unable to also set up ANY OTHER channel to record the "reruns" of this show. 

2- The TV Guide sometimes refers to a show by two names (ie. Stargirl or DC's Stargirl) over the course of time between when I set it up to record and the night/time it actually airs ... yet it will only ever allow me to set up ONE of the two names (probably because of day/time) in Series Priority meaning if the wrong name is in the TV Guide/Series Priority the night it airs, it doesn't record.

3- I like to watch/organize my TV Guide with using the 500's for my Sports Channels (same with other multiple channel networks to group movie channels/network channels etc.) ... yet whenever I deem a channel (ie. 500's instead of 22 Sportsnet, 30 TSN or whatever ... ONLY the lowest channel number offered for that service is displayed in my TV Guide.  ie) I CHOSE 507 for Sports Net as my favourite ... NOT 22.

4- I have to choose the 85 channel Flex package to get Space and a few other channels (not complaining about cost or anything here) ... but why can't I ONLY choose to keep 45 instead of MUST KEEP 85 ??  The page/advertising etc. all say 'Up To" 85 ... meaning I'm keeping 40 channels that I, as a 60 yr old single dweller will NEVER watch crowding my TV Guide (and "yes" i know about favourites see above)  but I REALLY don't want these other 40 EVER !!

5= Given point 1 above ... can't record same show multiple channels ... why when I setup Ignite to record Toronto Blue Jay games on channel 507 4K SN Ont. (ie. SN22) ONLY ... do I get as many as 3 other channels (ONMI, SN Pacific etc.) recording at the same time ???

Other than this forum ... is there a place to send these concerns for serious considerations??  Any one of the 5 must apply to any given user and probably most users for several of them.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OldFatUgly wrote:

1- Not able to record the same show (ie. series) on more than one channel ... as in if Law and Order SVU (new/repeats) are on CTV, I am unable to also set up ANY OTHER channel to record the "reruns" of this show. 

2- The TV Guide sometimes refers to a show by two names (ie. Stargirl or DC's Stargirl) over the course of time between when I set it up to record and the night/time it actually airs ... yet it will only ever allow me to set up ONE of the two names (probably because of day/time) in Series Priority meaning if the wrong name is in the TV Guide/Series Priority the night it airs, it doesn't record.

3- I like to watch/organize my TV Guide with using the 500's for my Sports Channels (same with other multiple channel networks to group movie channels/network channels etc.) ... yet whenever I deem a channel (ie. 500's instead of 22 Sportsnet, 30 TSN or whatever ... ONLY the lowest channel number offered for that service is displayed in my TV Guide.  ie) I CHOSE 507 for Sports Net as my favourite ... NOT 22.

Other than this forum ... is there a place to send these concerns for serious considerations??  Any one of the 5 must apply to any given user and probably most users for several of them.  

1. I don't have Ignite, but perhaps the following post addresses this:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-DVR-Set-to-record-just-NEW-but-records-all...

2. This allows for "non-name-based" recordings. Digital Cable is much worse because if one letter of the programme name changes, the programme doesn't record.  With IgniteTV it will record.  Perhaps Item 1 above will also address this for you.

3. This was discussed in another thread regarding Favourites and is deemed a "feature" instead of a "failing". Again, item 1 may workaround this (or not).

5. See item 1.

Share a concern leads to Office of the President and one of his team will typically respond in one business day:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Your reply to number 1 is not the same thing as my concern, but thanks for trying.  My post is about (for example) being able to record a show (ie. Law and Order SVU) on Network (NBC/CTV) either NEW or Repeats ... and ALSO being able to record old reruns on Bravo, MYTV etc. or some other channel on another day or time.  Ignite only allows for 1 recording definition per "Show Name) in the Series Priority section.

Item 2 is an oddity because if I try to set up both Stargirl and DC's Stargirl (which should work) so that whichever name is in the guide that night gets recorded ... for some reason Series Priority KNOWS they are the same show (or perhaps because they're on at the same time/day) but in any event, if I have the wrong name that night, it doesn't record.

Items 3&4 are pet peeves since my February switch from PVR Digital to IGNITE that just make no sense to me ... and 5 must be a sports app feature of IGNITE to get all Blue Jay Games regardless and it's easy enough to delete recorded games so I was really just pointing it out.

I would REALLY like to have further discussions with some group/forum regarding other users feelings on items 1-4 because all 4 of them collectively are reason enough for me to look elsewhere for my cable needs in the future.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

and thanks for the share-a-concern link but it seems when you get to #4 Your Concern ... the page conveniently stays greyed out ... why am I not surprised.  sheesh.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OldFatUgly wrote:

I would REALLY like to have further discussions with some group/forum regarding other users feelings on items 1-4 because all 4 of them collectively are reason enough for me to look elsewhere for my cable needs in the future.

You certainly make some very valid points.  The problem is that I don't know how much Rogers can really do to address many of the issues that you raise.  Rogers didn't just buy/licence hardware and software to build Ignite TV.  They are using Comcast's product AND using some of their back-end services.  The Ignite set-top boxes have more active network connections to Comcast addresses than they do to Rogers.

If Rogers reports that their customers are upset with how a feature works, or have suggestions as to how the UI or other functionality could be improved, Comcast will likely respond with, "Oh, that's unfortunate.  We think it's really great the way that it is."... or, "Why would you want to do that?"... or "We already tried doing it that way once."

You can try enabling new/experimental features in Settings / Labs.  If you don't like how something there works, then by all means, provide feedback and report any bugs so that they can get fixed.  Otherwise, once development of a feature is deemed complete and gets baked into a production release, it's difficult to change.

Item 2 is an oddity because if I try to set up both Stargirl and DC's Stargirl (which should work) so that whichever name is in the guide that night gets recorded ... for some reason Series Priority KNOWS they are the same show (or perhaps because they're on at the same time/day) but in any event, if I have the wrong name that night, it doesn't record.

I don't know how much of this is under Rogers' control either.  The Guide data and related metadata come from multiple external services.

Items 3&4 are pet peeves since my February switch from PVR Digital to IGNITE that just make no sense to me ...

#3 is an implementation choice, presumably Comcast's.  And how would you go about "fixing" this without upsetting people who like the current behaviour?  If you made every UI choice configurable, the Settings screens would become very complicated.

As for #4, I would like to see Rogers fix this by offering the same Flex Channel choices in Popular as are available in Premier.

... and 5 must be a sports app feature of IGNITE to get all Blue Jay Games regardless and it's easy enough to delete recorded games so I was really just pointing it out.

I don't know.  Whatever is going on may be to compensate for cases where not all games are available in 4K, and because Ignite won't allow you to schedule duplicate series recordings on multiple channels... so it's better to have duplicate recordings than missing recordings.

With Ignite, I find that I am rarely, if ever, scheduling series recordings.  Having had Ignite TV for almost a year longer than you have, I find that my Cloud PVR is now perpetually full, and I'm constantly looking for recordings to delete to make room for new recordings.  200 hours is not very much space.  It's also really annoying that recordings disappear after one year.

One of Ignite TV's strengths is that it unifies live/broadcast television with content that is available on Netflix and Prime Video.  With a full PVR, I also find myself looking at "Watch Options" for any movies or TV shows that I want to record... and much of what I do want to watch these days is available on Crave, Prime and Netflix... and with better audio and video quality... and commercial-free... and the side-effect of that is that I now find myself watching very little live broadcast TV anymore outside of breaking news and the occasional movie.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OldFatUgly wrote:

and thanks for the share-a-concern link but it seems when you get to #4 Your Concern ... the page conveniently stays greyed out ... why am I not surprised.  sheesh.

Share a concern has always worked for me and I also just tried it. See the following link for troubleshooting tips:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-load-certain-website-s-and-or-videos/m-p/46...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you G ... FINALLY a response worthy of my respect and thanks for the information/feedback provided.

My only rebuttals for clarification :

re:#1 - PVR world doesn't have the non-recording of same show/multiple channels restriction ... why does IGNITE? It's a restriction/short-coming that makes no sense.

re:#3 - Why have "favourites" or multiple channel designations for the SAME network if ONLY the lowest number can be a favourite??  Nothing complicated about my wanting 507 (which I chose as a favourite) to show in my guide instead of 22 (which I didn't)

re:#4 - Popular/Premier is indeed one fix ... but "UP TO 85" instead of "MUST KEEP 85" is a much easier fix and no lost revenue for Rogers.

These are the 3 man points I would like to have put forward to Rogers/Comcast or the Tech Guy/Girl in development 🙂 ...  with a simple "Common Sense" tag ... I can't see how any of them are controversial.

fyi- re:#2 - an oddity to be sure, but my point was not being able to setup/record the two different names (Series Priority wont let me) in same time slot to get around the problem. 

Also, I could easily get by on 30 hrs of storage ... I tend to watch what I record, not hoard it for another day.  🙂

Thanks again G.  Respect !