Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

Long shot but can you play Dolby Atmos for those shows that have them? 
asking because you can using Netflix on Apple TV

*Added Labels*

Re: Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

Hey @NEOJAMES!

That is a great question! I don't believe there's any restriction on use of Dolby Atmos where applicable but I haven't tested it myself. Perhaps others in the community may have some experience with it and may be able to weigh in.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

@RogersAndy

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Re: Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

There isn't a lot of documentation but I think you need to set the audio mode to Expert Mode per Comcast documentation > https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1

Perhaps a Rogers SME can expand on the Expert Mode setting and look at creating some supporting content for it? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

Perhaps a Rogers SME can expand on the Expert Mode setting and look at creating some supporting content for it? 

There isn't really much to document.  On the Xi6 set-top box, you only have 3 choices to select from in "Settings > Device Settings > Audio > HDMI Audio Output", and they are Stereo (PCM), Auto Detect, and Expert Mode.  Also note the description for the "Expert Mode" setting:

Expert Mode: The best available Dolby sound will be passed through to your audio system.  Not compatible with voice guidance and some audio systems.

For more info on the X1 hardware and platform specs, check out: https://devportal.comcast.com/x1/docs/develop/device-specs

If I'm not mistaken, the Xi6 would be considered a "High-End" device.

I Plan to Stick Around

I understand there isn't a lot to document but if a company is selling a product or service they should provide details instead of having to rely on 3rd party website, Comcast in this case. For example...

What voice guidance? My remote voice feature still worked so what they are alluding too here? 

Some audio systems? Can you define what you mean by 'some'? 

Proper documentation allows the customer to self-service and lowers support debt since customers don't need to call in and ask 'what does this mean exactly'. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

I understand there isn't a lot to document but if a company is selling a product or service they should provide details instead of having to rely on 3rd party website, Comcast in this case. For example...

Fair point.  However, creating those Help articles is an ongoing process that takes time, and Rogers can't document everything.  Comcast is also the organization that developed the Xfinity X1 platform that Ignite TV is based on, so I'll link to definitive information on their site just like I'd link to Apple's web site for iPhone/iOS-related technical information.

What voice guidance? My remote voice feature still worked so what they are alluding too here? 

Some audio systems? Can you define what you mean by 'some'? 

Voice Guidance is different from Voice Commands or Voice ControlVoice Guidance is an accessibility feature to assist users with visual impairments.  It "speaks" what's on the screen and provides services like a "talking Guide".  It is one of the features that can be enabled in Accessibility settings.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-voice-guidance

"Some audio systems" means exactly what it means.  In "Expert Mode", digital audio data is passed through without any downconversion, and some audio systems are unable to decode and process some audio streams.  With this setting, an older/less-capable audio system may be able to process content whose audio is encoded in 5.1 surround sound but not other formats, such as Dolby Atmos.