cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

NEOJAMES
I've Been Here Awhile

Long shot but can you play Dolby Atmos for those shows that have them? 
asking because you can using Netflix on Apple TV

*Added Labels*

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @NEOJAMES!

That is a great question! I don't believe there's any restriction on use of Dolby Atmos where applicable but I haven't tested it myself. Perhaps others in the community may have some experience with it and may be able to weigh in.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

@RogersAndy

Re: Re: Ignite TV - Dolby Atmos

TyWilliamsCA
I Plan to Stick Around

There isn't a lot of documentation but I think you need to set the audio mode to Expert Mode per Comcast documentation > https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1

Perhaps a Rogers SME can expand on the Expert Mode setting and look at creating some supporting content for it? 

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

Perhaps a Rogers SME can expand on the Expert Mode setting and look at creating some supporting content for it? 

There isn't really much to document.  On the Xi6 set-top box, you only have 3 choices to select from in "Settings > Device Settings > Audio > HDMI Audio Output", and they are Stereo (PCM), Auto Detect, and Expert Mode.  Also note the description for the "Expert Mode" setting:

Expert Mode: The best available Dolby sound will be passed through to your audio system.  Not compatible with voice guidance and some audio systems.

For more info on the X1 hardware and platform specs, check out: https://devportal.comcast.com/x1/docs/develop/device-specs

If I'm not mistaken, the Xi6 would be considered a "High-End" device.

TyWilliamsCA
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand there isn't a lot to document but if a company is selling a product or service they should provide details instead of having to rely on 3rd party website, Comcast in this case. For example...

What voice guidance? My remote voice feature still worked so what they are alluding too here? 

Some audio systems? Can you define what you mean by 'some'? 

Proper documentation allows the customer to self-service and lowers support debt since customers don't need to call in and ask 'what does this mean exactly'. 

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

I understand there isn't a lot to document but if a company is selling a product or service they should provide details instead of having to rely on 3rd party website, Comcast in this case. For example...

Fair point.  However, creating those Help articles is an ongoing process that takes time, and Rogers can't document everything.  Comcast is also the organization that developed the Xfinity X1 platform that Ignite TV is based on, so I'll link to definitive information on their site just like I'd link to Apple's web site for iPhone/iOS-related technical information.

What voice guidance? My remote voice feature still worked so what they are alluding too here? 

Some audio systems? Can you define what you mean by 'some'? 

Voice Guidance is different from Voice Commands or Voice ControlVoice Guidance is an accessibility feature to assist users with visual impairments.  It "speaks" what's on the screen and provides services like a "talking Guide".  It is one of the features that can be enabled in Accessibility settings.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-voice-guidance

"Some audio systems" means exactly what it means.  In "Expert Mode", digital audio data is passed through without any downconversion, and some audio systems are unable to decode and process some audio streams.  With this setting, an older/less-capable audio system may be able to process content whose audio is encoded in 5.1 surround sound but not other formats, such as Dolby Atmos.

Jascmu
I've Been Here Awhile
Answer is no, and continues to be no. Rogers is so far behind when it comes to this. It is disappointing.

Spinky
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersAndy - I have the Denon X6700h AVR which displays the type of audio signal. The highest audio signal from Rogers ignite is Dolby 5.1. Dolby Atmos is not supported. Currently, the Dolby Atmos signal is available through Apple TV, Amazon Firestick 4k and Chromecast Ultra. These devices are all less than $200 for each device. There are more options and streaming devices available as well. Rogers is behind the times on this, however, they charge a premium monthly price.

Spinky
I've Been Here Awhile

@NEOJAMES - No, ignite does not support Atmos; however extremely high price each month. Multiple customer comments and complaints about no or very slow adoption of current standard technologies. Most TV manufacturers are building Atmos enabled televisions; even budget brands. Rogers needs to stop increasing prices and focus on keeping up with customer requirements.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Spinky  Are you complaining that Dolby Atmos is not available with conventional TV programming or that it does not get passed when you play that content through something like the Netflix app on the Ignite set-top box?

reed935
I Plan to Stick Around

Was doing some testing with various settings, and found out when using Netflix, that do get the Dolby Atmos flag when I have my audio setting at "Auto (Dolby Digital Plus)".  When I change it to "Expert", I lose Atmos in favour or 5.1

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation