Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

I only have landline phone from Bell.

As I understand....I can simply run a standard phone cable (rj11) from the Ingite modem to any existing phone jack and all my phone jacks throughout my home will work

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

As I understand....I can simply run a standard phone cable (rj11) from the Ingite modem to any existing phone jack and all my phone jacks throughout my home will work

Yes, that should work fine, so long as the inside wiring is good/to-spec and you do not have a wired home alarm system... and, of course, that the incoming Bell service has been completely disconnected inside your home.

Edit: Also, if you should run into any issues, you can buy an inexpensive phone line tester to confirm that the incoming Bell line has been disconnected and that everything is "to spec" at each jack after your Ignite phone service is installed.

I Plan to Stick Around

Will the Roger tech disconnect the Bell line from outside the house at Bell's entry box point or disconnect the line inside my house at the my 'distribution' junction box point where all my jacks are wired from?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Rogers tech will NOT touch the Bell NID outside your house, nor is he permitted to do so. Once your Bell Line is confirmed Dead, No battery or Dial tone from Bell, he may simply connect the Phone cable from the Ignite Gateway Modem to the Closest RJ11 Telephone jack, and it will distribute dialtone to all the jacks in your house. Some newer homes have a modular RJ11 Demarcation point, it seperates Bell Service from the Inside wiring, if you have this, simply unplug it, most of the time they write your Telephone number on the jack to identify such. Older homes may not have this and the bell wires are punched down to the 66 block. as long as the wired landlines in your house have dead air and/or a message on the screen that says "check line chord" then you know bell disconnected the line properly, otherwise its not recommended to tinker around with those wires if you do not understand

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

Will the Roger tech disconnect the Bell line from outside the house at Bell's entry box point or disconnect the line inside my house at the my 'distribution' junction box point where all my jacks are wired from?  

The Rogers tech should (and must) perform the disconnection inside your home.  The Bell box outside your home (called a NID) is Bell territory and the Rogers tech can't touch this.  You also want to make sure that the Bell line can't get reconnected again from the outside, so that's yet another reason to perform the disconnection inside.

Edit: According to this, the NID is not exclusively Bell territory but I would still want the tech to disconnect the Bell line inside.

I Plan to Stick Around

Older house.  Phone system lines were installed 40 or so yrs ago. Outside line runs into a spot in my furnace room and then phone lines run out from that to all my jacks throughout the house. Best play is let Rogers tech figure it out.

Thanks for your help!