Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Hello @Lndsybtt,

It's great to have you in the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post! 👍

It's odd that the TV connection isn't working when your WiFi seems to be okay--not a very pleasant experience I'm sure. ☹️ Would you be able to provide the Community with a bit more information? For example, what do you see when you power your TV on? Are multiple TVs affected within your home or just a specific TV? Have you attempted to reset the affected TV box to see if this helps?

We look forward to your response! 😊

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We had Ignite installed two months ago. In that two months, our internet (sometimes just wifi, sometimes LAN, sometimes both) has gone down literally hundreds of times. It might be for 30 seconds, it might be for 2 hours. Just today it went down 4 times.

The tech was here 2 days ago. Put in all new cables, splitters, went up the pole outside, everything. He replaced everything but the modem. We have a tech coming on Monday. We are getting a new modem, even if Rogers doesn't want to.

Have any of you had similar problems? It's been a nightmare, and Rogers, as usual, is all about "Sorry" & not about getting things fixed.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I'm seeing more and more issues as well.  My wife is home on mat leave and get a couple of texts per day about the TV being down again.  My feeling is that the issue (at least for us) is the wireless pods since the signal seems most flakey when the TV box connects to a pod on the other side of the house on a different floor instead of the one 10 feet away in the same room.  I think I'm going to go back to my Archer router as an AP and disconnect the pods.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wondering if this is something with the new pods?

I am running the older Eero ones, which the TV seems to always connect to the closest/one it was originally connected to.

I wonder if that might be something to try.. 
Re setting up the wifi on all the boxes.. try to force the connection to the closer ones.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

if I want to hardwire an ignite box to modem which ethernet cable is required cat5 or cat6?

also, will an ethernet cable run 50-100ft affect signal strength?

thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cat5e should be enough.  But always best to get better, if its cost efficient enough.
Shorter distance is always better. But you should be ok with 100ft.
You might get a small signal drop, effecting the MAX speed. 
But even on 5e you should be able to get up to a max of 1gbps with the right hardware on each end, so still should be ample enough to run the streams for the ignite box.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.

If I get Ignite TV I want to hardwire my modem to downstairs desktop (roughly 65ft) and to downstairs TV (roughly 80ft) to give more wifi strength to other TV boxes and devices

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

if I want to hardwire an ignite box to modem which ethernet cable is required cat5 or cat6?

also, will an ethernet cable run 50-100ft affect signal strength?

For 1000BASE-T / Gigabit Ethernet, the spec says that you can have segment runs of up to 100m with Cat 5 cable.  Cat 5e is common these days and is what I would recommend.  (Cat 5 became deprecated almost 20 years ago.  Cat 5e is a better cable because it reduces crosstalk between pairs.  Cat 6 is better still, works over a wider range of frequencies, and is what you would need for 10-Gigabit Ethernet.)

The Xi6-A set-top box only has a 100BASE-T (Fast Ethernet) port so at 50 - 100 feet, you are not anywhere close to approaching any of the maximums for the spec.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

On a kinda related issue....sort of😊

Currently have Bell landline phone...

I want to keep my phone#

Can Rogers port my landline #?

and I should not contact Bell about canceling, I should let Rogers deal with that, correct?  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

On a kinda related issue....sort of😊

Currently have Bell landline phone...

I want to keep my phone#

Can Rogers port my landline #?

and I should not contact Bell about canceling, I should let Rogers deal with that, correct?  

Yes, Rogers can port your telephone number to the new service, and it is best to just let Rogers perform the entire process just to make sure that Bell does not "misunderstand" you and cancel your telephone service prematurely before the port gets completed.  You'll know when Rogers submits the port request because you'll suddenly get bombarded with calls from Bell's Retention group.

Do you have any other services will Bell other than Home Phone?  One thing that you'll want to pay attention to is the cancellation date that Rogers submits.  Once your Ignite TV install gets completed successfully, call Bell immediately to confirm that your services with them will be cancelled at the end of the current business day, just to make sure that there is "no mix-up in the paperwork" and so that you won't get (over-)charged for the services that you are no longer using.

If you will be using your inside wiring for the phone service, make sure that your installation tech disconnects the wires for the incoming Bell line from your inside wiring before connecting the telephone port of the XB6 gateway.