Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

@Johnson29  It is possible that something about the XB6's default configuration may be the cause but it's impossible to say for sure without additional information (log files from your VPN client, etc.) about why the connection dropped and someone who is familiar with the XB6's internal firewall code/rulesets to troubleshoot this further.

I say this because I ran into a similar situation with my VoIP ATA; with the XB6 in Gateway mode, the ATA would lose its registration after a period of time.  I currently have my XB6 in bridge mode and am using my own router/firewall.  This is a totally unsupportable configuration from a Rogers perspective but everything is working normally for me again and I didn't need to resort to configuring any alternative keepalive mechanisms to maintain the connection with my VoIP provider.

I Plan to Stick Around

My connection used to drop 8-10 x’s/day until a tech guy came over and measured the signal which was fine. He escalated it and the next day Rogers found bad components in the 2 rogers street boxes up the street from me. Once they were fixed my connection drops stopped.

I also notice that if I power on my Smart TV using the TV remote I will get a lost connection message on the screen. To fix this I just press guide on the Rogers remote. I don't have this lost connection message when I power on the Smart TV using the Rogers remote.

I Plan to Stick Around

Revised- if I use the Smart TV's remote I will sometimes see a lost connection on the TV screen.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@COPO wrote:

Revised- if I use the Smart TV's remote I will sometimes see a lost connection on the TV screen.

This is due to the handshake between the TV and the STB not working properly. When you turn on the box and the TV at the same time, the box will usually shake hands with the TV to make sure the proper signal goes to the TV.  If you turn on the TV by itself, then there is no "handshake" initiated.  Do you see "lost connection" or "no signal" as these are different - the former relates to the box' incoming signal while the latter relates to no signal from the box to the TV.

One thing you could try is to set the box' output format to the TV's resolution under Video Settings. If you don't have a 4K TV, set it to 1080i. If you have a 4K TV set it to 4K.  It may currently be set to "auto" which may require a handshake each time.

Pressing "guide" (or perhaps any other button on the Rogers remote) wakes up the box initiating a handshake.

I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers Ignite boxes in the house are always on and the message I get on the TV is No Signal. I can live with what I do to resolve the problem rather than creating a new problem with changing my settings.