Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

@layden87 wrote:

Gigabit Speeds

I recently switched from Bell Fibe 25 to Rogers 1GB service.

One month in:

A lot of my devices cannot connect to the wifi

My tv sometimes will pause, audio drop and lose wifi connection as well. (Ignite TV)

and when I do speed tests (like right now) I hit 158 download speed and 32.5 upload speed.

How is this anywhere near the 1GB advertised? Less than 200mbs? I'm thinking I should just go back to Bell because this is ridiculous. 

What equipment are you using for Wi-Fi connectivity?  Direct to the XB6?  Range extender?  eero (or other) mesh solution?  Have you performed any wireless scans (using an app on a smart phone) to check signal strength throughout your home and to find/eliminate any channel conflicts or other sources of interference?  If you have a mesh network, range extenders or multiple access points and reset any of your wireless network gear, you'll likely need to power-cycle your Xi6 set-top boxes to ensure that they connect to the strongest access point.  (Devices typically won't try to switch to a stronger access point unless the signal strength drops below a certain threshold.  If a connection drops, some devices will also first try to reconnect to the same BSSID even if a more optimal one is available; that's why a manual disconnect or power-cycle may be required.)

As for the low speeds that you are seeing, are you doing your speed tests wired or wireless?  Which service(s) are you using?

I Plan to Stick Around

So we recently switched from Bell to Rogers and got the Gigabit internet package. Since then, we've had constant problems.

1: Our devices disconnect from the wifi randomly. We've had our Echo Dot disconnect and our LG tv disconnect. Both are incredibly hard to get back on the wifi and as of writing this, the TV is not connected to the internet, despite the my ignite hub saying it is....

2: My wife's phone...none of the apps are loading properly. Instagram, Facebook, etc....the live feeds are just grey pictures with the loading circle. We went to her sisters and she logged onto their wifi, it worked perfectly. Got back home on our wifi, same problem. Grey or blurry images with the loading circle. None of these apps work. 

3: We had a tech come and check the signal, they say it's good. He switched out the box for a new one....but we're getting the same issues. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This a house or apartment?
Asking, just to see if this could be a possible case of interference.

As well, is the modem in the same location as were the bell one was before?
Could be a wireless range/quality issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

House. Different location because the tech could only find one area where the cable was working. It's in our furnace room. So I can't hardwire anything to it, everything is over the wifi. 

Don't know how signal strength would explain my wife's phone issue though. Web-browsing is fine, but social media feed not loading? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@layden87 wrote:

House. Different location because the tech could only find one area where the cable was working. It's in our furnace room. So I can't hardwire anything to it, everything is over the wifi. 

Don't know how signal strength would explain my wife's phone issue though. Web-browsing is fine, but social media feed not loading? 

A poor Wi-Fi signal would only explain slow speeds, packet loss, and disconnects.  The social media feeds not loading is being caused by something else.

One difference between Bell and Rogers is that Bell's Internet connection is IPv4-only; Rogers offers IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity.  Not sure if that is causing problems but you can test using the following links:

https://test-ipv6.com/ (You should score 10/10)

https://ipv6-test.com/ (You should score 19/20 with only the Hostname test not passing)

It sounds like you're using the Ignite WiFi Hub service.  Do you also have Protected Browsing enabled and if so, does turning it off fix the problems?

I Plan to Stick Around

IPv4 rest was 10/10

IPv6 test was 16/20 on my phone.

Tested my wife’s galaxy s7.

IPv6 test. 0/20. Nothing was supported.

Waited a bit and tried again, she got 10/20.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@layden87  You definitely have some strange connectivity issues.  I'm confident that the problems are totally fixable but they need to get resolved methodically, step by step.

Getting back to issues 1-3 in your previous post:

For #1: First and foremost, since you're connecting exclusively though Wi-Fi, you need to get good, stable network connectivity to all of your devices; they should not be dropping their Wi-Fi connections.  It's probably best that you contact tech support, discuss your issues and concerns with them, and try to get them to send a technician out again.  The field tech needs to confirm that you have a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your home AND make sure that you are not getting any interference (in any way) from your neighbour's Wi-Fi.  (With your XB6 located in the basement, it's possible that you and your neighbour's Wi-Fi routers may both be auto-selecting the same "best" Wi-Fi channels; it can easily happen if their router is not seeing a strong signal from your XB6, and your XB6 is not seeing a strong signal from your neighbour's router.  However, you, on your main floor, might be seeing a strong signal from both sources and be getting an unstable connection to your XB6 as a result due to interference and/or a channel conflict.)

For #2: Once you get your in-home Wi-Fi working well, you'll still run into strange issues if your device thinks that it has good IPv6 connectivity but the underlying protocol is actually unstable.  If this is the case, you'll most likely find that it's slow establishing a connection to a web site for the first time. This could also explain why your wife's apps are failing to load even though she has a good connection to the XB6.  Here's another test: http://he.test-ipv6.com/

In my case, I always get successful IPv6 connections and never have to fall back to IPv4.  If you are falling back to IPv4 frequently, you'll need to do additional troubleshooting to figure out why the IPv6 connections are failing.

For #3: Did the tech confirm a good signal on the coax connection from the XB6 to the Rogers network, a good, strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your home that's free of interference, or both?

Best of luck in getting these issues sorted out!

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm living a nightmare with Ignite.  I'm experiecing the same issues you are.  Did you ever get it resolved?

If so, what happened??

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm am STRUGGLING and so frustrated with Ignite.  I work from home and need a stable internet connection.  The DAY Ignite was installed I consistently (every 20 min) lose my VPN connection to my work network.  It works on ALL other wifi connections except the one I pay for in my own home.  I see in the messages others have struggled with staying connected.  Rogers technicians have been absolutely USELESS and NO HELP....blaming issues on my end of course.

Same old story.  If anyone could provide some insight if they resolved connection issues please let me know!

I'm 98% ready to either go back to cable or switch providers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Johnson29 wrote:

I'm experiecing the same issues you are.  Did you ever get it resolved?

If so, what happened??

Who is the "you" you are referring to?  What is "it" you are referring to?