Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Ignite TV - Connection Issues

Let me share my horrible experience with Ignite TV. I am seriously considering switching back to cable or maybe Bell is worth a look now. 

I have been a Rogers Cable customer for over what 26 year at my currently location now, I have cable, internet, cell phone and home phone all with them but last Dec I notice my bundle discount has stopped and my bill went up a lot. I called customer service and trying to get my discount back but they sold me on an UPGRADE to this premier service Ignite TV. With the installation discount an all I thought I would give it a try. Installation was on Dec 27 2018. 1) First it was the installation hiccup - the TVs stopped working after the guy left and I had to escalate to get the same guy to come back that evening to fix the problem. The reason I was given was that the coax cable connecting to the modem was pinched and he had to tighten the connection and the system started working again. 

2) So it was working fine except whenever the network goes down, the IP phone is dead and my alarm system would beep because a phone line fault is detected. My alarm company would call and would not be able to get through to the home phone so they would call my cell phone. This happened usually in the middle of the night because Rogers probably thinks that no one is using the network so it is ok to reboot it?

3) Then started last week, about a month after the system was installed and some of my laptops (mix of Mac and Windows)  would be able to connect to the WiFi but would not be able to reach the internet. I started to do some diagnostics ( still remember how to use ipconfig on a command prompt) and determined that some machine would have the default gateway and DNS server at 10.0.0.1 and they would work properly, the other ones that for some reason would have the old 192.168. 0.254 would either have no internet access or connect but can reach some sites like Google and Youtube but not Roger.com or RBC.com etc.  This tells me it is a DNS server issue. All machines's config is to get the DNS Server automatically from the WiFi network and are not hardcode. Remember all these machines were working fine before I switched to Ignite and were working fine for about a month. Last Friday I spent about 2 3 hour on the phone with a Rogers agent who has no clue what a DNS server is about, insisted that since some machine works and some don't then it it not the network problems. Told me I need to find someone to check my machines out! I repeatedly trying to explain to him that there where no change in my machines but he has no clue and suggested to send a technician to check it out. On this past Sunday, the technician came and spent again 2-3 hours trying many rebooting of the router, rebooting of my machines, tried different TCPIP config changes (which was my tasks as the technician claims that he is only a cable guy  and not a computer guy). At the end of that I still have some machines working and some don't. The strange thing is that some would work at one time and then not working another time. It is like they are limiting a fix number of machines to work. AT the end, the tech guy blamed the issue with the bad weather. But the issues started mid last week before the weather turn bad!

4) On Monday night there was a power surge and all machine was rebooted including the router. And my alarm company calling routine once again. But after that, because the router were rebooted, all the machines got the 10.0.0.1 addresses and all started to work. I thought finally, they fixed whatever the problem with the network was and thought I can now sleep easy. 

5) This afternoon, the problem returns. It is 2:30 AM now and I am still up because I just spent another 2 and half hour on the phone with Rogers Tech support this evening again trying to figure out what the . is wrong. At the end they couldn't fix it and now blame it on the faulty modem and will need to send another technician next Wednesday (earliest evening appointment they have) to replace the modem! I am guessing that the tech will say he is the network guy and not a computer guy and I have to go find other help?  

The net of this is that Ignite is just nothing but nightmare for me. what I want is a stable network and accessing the internet is really a basic thing that a carrier should provide. So much for this PREMIER service I was lured into. 

I am giving them one more chance, and at the meantime I am shopping for alternatives. There are many options out there these days I heard.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

The everything dropping.. normally shouldn't happen that often.

Since I got ignite, I have had to reboot it maybe 2-3 times.. and only maybe 1-2 drops.  
And I have had it since first day it was available.

It shouldnt be rebooting/dropping that regularly.

Hopefully with that tech out they can take a look at things at the house there.. and just see if its something localized.. bad signal even could cause those dropouts.

(or at least narrow down if its outside the house, etc)

I'm Here A Lot

I have been losing connection with ignite on my laptop since the day it was installed.  My laptop looses connection every 3 - 5 minutes  a couple of hours then settles down for a couple of hours and then once again it is losing connection constantly for another couple of hours no matter the time of day.  The TV,  iphones, and galaxy phones lose connection but you barely notice  it and not near as often, the tablets looses connection a few times a day, but it too is barely noticeable., but the laptop, wow, unbelievable.  The speed of Ignite is amazing, but this loosing connection is a daily headache.   I had a technician out and everything is hooked up fine, he explained well it is new and will have growing pains in the beginning.   I have scoured the internet looking for ways to fix the problem, from taking out my Network adapters and putting new ones in.   If anyone has had this problem and found a fix for it, please leave a reply  I totally regret the day I changed from cable to Inginte TV, unfortunately it is the only package I could bundle to save a few bucks.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That sort of thing has nothing to do with 'growing pains'

Some of the issues going on with playback, etc.. which are server/software issues? Sure.

But things like general internet drops like that? No, thats not growing pains.
9/10 time its more setup problems.. etc.

That 
A) the signal overall to the house is NOT good, that it is whats causing the problem and the dropouts.
B) Something else with the setup.  ANY provider, the modems are notorious for beeing not the greatest quality.  Depending on the house, the location.. they just dont cut it.
Its one reason now that rogers is offering to have the Eero mesh network setup.

Generally, on a good setup, you should not be having dropouts like that.
I can do stuff for hours on end (outside of the TV) on the internet with no interruption on mine.
(I do have the Eero units)

I've Been Around

Did you resolve your connection issues?
I have the same problem losing the connection from the router out within a few minutes on Dell laptop with a 1490 dual mic that does support 5Ghz. All other connections from multiple iPhones,TV work well
I've Been Around

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was helping out a family friend who is having almost the exact same issue, especially what you described in #3. It's both helpful and reassuring to know that he's not the only one with the issue. So again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It seems like there are legitimate issues that Rogers needs to sort out on their end.
I Plan to Stick Around

I only have 1 out of 3 Xi6-A tv boxes (on the smart tv) that gets no signal when I turn on the tv or while watching tv and I switch to Netflix I will get the no signal picture screen. I've sent a note to Rogers on Twitter cause they are more knowledgeable  than the normal help desk. 

So so far to get my tv back up and running I just Power off the box for 10 sec that's connected to the tv. Yesterday I logged into the router using 10.0.0.1 and reset the 2 wifi options for kicks and giggles and that reset seemed to work. While the 1 tv has no signal, the other 2 tv's work fine along with the Internet.

Hello, @COPO.

Thank you for joining this discussion and posting your experience. The 'no signal' message on the TV could mean a cable (HDMI) connection issue; it may not be related to your WiFi signal.

Have you tried to reseat the HDMI cable? You can also try to plug in the HDMI cable to a different port on your TV.

As for WiFi options, I suggest keeping a note of what was reset so that it can be taken into account while troubleshooting WiFi in future. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

HDMI cable is fine and relatively new and the TV is about 1 month old. All cables are properly connected.  I have 35 yrs experience in the Hardware IT World which helps elimination on hardware problems. I have a Rogers Tech guy coming today to most likely swap the set top box. Before signing up with the Ignite pkg, I had no issues with my HDMI cable. Prior to getting Ignite, I put up with signal drops 5-10 X's per day for over a year until I decided to work with Rogers on Twitter which are awesome people who know their stuff. The help desk just kept telling me that the signal looks good at our end so it must be interference of some kind in your house. Ya, I called folly on that one and had the problem escalated. A Tech guy showed up the next day and tested the signal and replaced a coax connection and fixed a ground and everything looked good. He then escalated it up and the next day a Rogers Tech showed up on the street. I spoke with him and he told me the 2 Rogers boxes up the street from me had some faulty components that he replaced which was causing the box in front of my house to fail. After that, I have had no outages.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@COPO wrote:

...Before signing up with the Ignite pkg, I had no issues with my HDMI cable. 

Just because something was working before, doesn't mean that it'll work on Ignite.  Were you on a 4K signal to the TV before?  Or 1080i/p?  Which model number box did you have before IgniteTV (9865, 8642, etc)?  Try temporarily switching the box to 1080i output to see if it works then. Try a different HDMI port on the TV.  The "no signal" popup on the TV indicates a problem with the TV getting any signal from the box, which could be related to the HDMI cable, or a poor connection at either end of that cable. "No signal" typically has nothing to do with the box.  You would get a black screen instead, or some other issue which would then typically be related to signal issues in your home/neighbourhood which appear to have been fixed.