Ignite TV - Bundles, modem and ADT Alarm - Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Ignite TV - Bundles, modem and ADT Alarm - Questions

1.What are your thoughts on Ignite Bundles?

2.Are you able to have 2 modems 1 for phone and 1 for cable/internet since i dont have a close phone jack to my cable outlet.

3.i have ATD alarm will that affect my alarm if the modem gets rebooted?

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Ignite TV - Bundles, modem and ADT Alarm - Questions

Hello, @Feeeze.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I appreciate your interest in Ignite TV - an effortless internet TV experience that puts you in command with all-in-one search, a Voice Remote and so much more.

We have recently blogged about the Ignite TV bundles, let us know if you need further clarification. 

As for having two modems, there can only be one modem per account. The installation tech will figure out an appropriate location for the modem and advise a suitable solution for the phone connection.

We look forward to hearing from you and answer all your queries; please send us a private message at @CommunityHelpsYou can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm Here A Lot

I read a review that if the modem restarts my alarm company will get a signal that it has been disconnected. is that true?

Also if i have my modem installed in the basement thats the only place it can go. how will my tv get signal if it does not have wifi?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Feeeze the presence of an alarm system is a problem.  Not huge, but, a definite kink in the plans.  

At the present time, your alarm system will look something like this:

Home Phone Modem <===> Alarm <===> 66 block ===> phone line 1

===> phone line 2

===> phone line 3

===> etc, etc

The alarm has control over the phone line usage in your home and has first dibs on the outgoing line.  If necessary it would take over the line if there was an ongoing call already in progress.  As the Home Phone modem is on its own, sitting in the structured wiring panel isn't a problem as that's the closest location to the 66 block and the alarm system.  This is also the worst location for any wifi modem. 

So, in order to achieve the best wifi performance out of the modem, you probably want to park it upstairs, which doesn't suit the alarm system.  The alarm system should still function if you simply connected it to an upstairs phone port, but, it wouldn't have control over the outgoing phone line.  To do that would require a slight modification in the phone connections, something like this:

66 block<===> Alarm <===> phone line 1 <===> XB6 modem phone port

===> phone line 2

===> phone line 3

===> etc, etc

So, the primary line into the alarm system would change from the current Home Phone output port to the upstairs phone line that would connect to the newer XB6 modem.  That could be any phone line in the house, just depends on where you want the modem to sit.  The tech would probably have recommendations as well.  The alarm system would then connect to the 66 block, which allows all of the other phone line in the house to operate as they currently do.  There is still a possible issue of losing a phone location upstairs, or having to split that line at the modem, which still doesn't help in terms of ensuring that the alarm system is in control of the outgoing phone line. 

Note that the tech might simply install the XB6 modem in the current location for the Home Phone modem and install an Eero mesh network to provide wifi coverage in the home.  That is something else to keep in mind.  

To park the XB6 modem upstairs, your best bet is to call ADT and ask what their policy is regarding changes in ISPs and changes in the connection methods.  Will they dispatch a tech to change the wiring at no cost?  That would be worth asking.  The changeover by Rogers from several cable connected modems down to a single cable modem is going to be an ongoing problem for security system company's.  Maybe those company's have a policy in effect to help their customers?  I don't believe that the Rogers techs will consider swapping phone lines and playing around with the home phone system to accommodate the alarm systems, but, don't quote me on that one.  If neither company will help, then you'll have to call in a company which specializes in residential cable and telephone system installations.  This isn't hard to accomplish, just a matter of finding someone to do it if you don't want to do it yourself.  This has to be done by disconnecting the phone line at the 66 block in order to move it over to the alarm system.  You don't want to go in there and start cutting phone lines as that could result in a short line that would require a splice at some point in the future to bring it back to the required length.  So, its not hard, just requires a little patience and care to do it right.

In terms of the disconnect situation, yup, if you reboot the XB6 modem there's probably a good chance that the alarm company will see a no update situation occur.  Just depends on the time between alarm system to alarm company contact.  There is no battery in the XB6 modems as there is in the current Home Phone modem, so, if that's a concern, you'll have to purchase an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to power the XB6 in the event of a power outage.  That power outage will drop all services, telephone, cable and internet, so, if you have a requirement for phone service during power outages, either for the alarm or other purposes, then a UPS will be required.  

I'm Here A Lot

This seems abit confusing. might just keep digital.

yes, the technician mentioned the mesh network.  any reviews on that?

Also does rogers not allow you to keep your current legacy home phone and switch to ignite tv and internet. Seems like that would be so much easier?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This isn't hard to accomplish.  Its only two pairs of wires that need disconnecting, the current phone pair into the alarm system, and the selected phone line from upstairs that connects to the 66 block.  Those two wire pairs are then connected together, done....

As for the Eero mesh network, can't say as I don't have the Ignite TV system.   Other users will have to chime in here.  

The other possibility, although the configuration is not supported by Roger, is to kick the XB6 modem into Bridge mode and install a router which would give you better wifi performance.  Others have tried that and it appears to work.  If you ever have any problems that require troubleshooting with Rogers techs, you would have to change the modem back to Gateway mode complete the necessary troubleshooting, and move back to Bridge mode when desired. 

The change over to the Ignite TV system is a complete change-over.  All of the existing modems, for all services are removed and replaced with the XB6 modem and the Xi6-A set top boxes.  What you're proposing would be easier, but, the goal here is probably to remove as many of the legacy modems as possible and replace them with one modem.  In the long term that will be beneficial to everyone, but, getting there might be a little painful. 

I'm Here A Lot

Does anyone have the new Rogers Ignite phone and ADT Alarm system. 

are there any issues with ADT receiving signals when Rogers modems reset or anything?

Technician came in and mentioned there may be issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There would be no more issues than there currently is.

If your ADT is currently going through your existing router.. if it goes down/reboots, ADT would have problems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am a former Telecommunications Technician (Non Partisan) and I can tell you that the old way of home phone wiring which comes in from the street to the demarcation point near your hydro panel was and is still the easiest way to connect to your alarm system home monitoring.

However with cable and voip home phone the modem can be moved elsewhere, its still possible to wire up your alarm system to be monitored via the home phone just its a little more tricky and requires a little more involved wiring but definitely doable.

The main issue is the Rogers installers are not alarm installers so they are only authorized to install the residential internet, tv and phone at the most convenient location, they do not care if you have an alarm or if your jack is in a different spot. However the good news is your alarm company is trained to connect your alarm to your "New" home phone provider, yes its considered a NEW home phone provider cus its a change in equipment, even location. so chances are, if your stuck, simply hire ADT to come out and connect your alarm to the home phone. it probably would NOT be free, but since you own an alarm, its your responsibility to ensure its connected.

you also should ask adt if they are able to connect the alarms to the monitoring station without a home phone? maybe they can do ethernet or wifi or even cellular? since most people now a days have been cancelling their home phone aka cutting the chord