Ignite TV Box Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ignite TV Box Issues

Good morning @jjjjy7!

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that self serve replacement options are desirable to some of our customers. For now, we are opting for technician based installs are replacements only. This helps us to better diagnose, understand and resolve issues with this relatively new product.

The fear being that if we allowed self serve right now, certain issues may go undetected that would have otherwise been identified by a technician.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersCorey wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that self serve replacement options are desirable to some of our customers. For now, we are opting for technician based installs are replacements only. This helps us to better diagnose, understand and resolve issues with this relatively new product.

The fear being that if we allowed self serve right now, certain issues may go undetected that would have otherwise been identified by a technician.

@jjjjy7  I know how you feel.  Tech visits are an inconvenience, and nobody wants a tech traipsing throughout their home when it isn't necessary.  It's also in Rogers' best interests to make every one of their service offerings as "self-serve" as possible.  That said, I still agree with what @RogersCorey  said.  The thing about the Xi6 is that it's different from the cable boxes of yesteryear; if they don't fail out-of-the-box or die spontaneously, there's really not all that much that can (or should) go wrong with them from a hardware perspective.  I've seen problems that have been caused by network changes on Rogers' side, back-end issues, provisioning-related issues, problems with in-home Wi-Fi, and other issues that boil down to software bugs... but nothing (so far) that would have been fixed by swapping out the Xi6.

Like others, I've also had problems with constant video freezes and audio drop-outs this past week.  I also suddenly had problems with my Xi6's freezing/lagging momentarily or being unresponsive to button presses, with one Xi6 that seemed to be more problematic than others.  I also know (from my own experiences) that the software in the Xi6 boxes can be VERY sensitive to any anomalies on any part of the network path.  I did a "health check" of my own network (my XB6 is in bridge mode) and could not find any issues whatsoever.  Restarting the set-top boxes did not fix the problem either.

In my case, it took a total reset and orderly power-up to fix the recent Ignite TV glitchiness.  I unplugged all of my Xi6's, powered off my wireless gear, powered off my router, then powered off the XB6.  I then brought everything else back up, slowly, step by step, in the reverse order.  The Xi6 set-top boxes were the last to get powered up, after confirming that Wi-Fi was fully up-and running.  Since then, I have not seen any problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-   I had a tech at my residence yesterday to change out (yet again) another STB.  He explained to me that I had a one of the older STBs.  Apparently Rogers changed manufacturers as the many of the first STBs were deemed defective/problematic.  The old and new boxes look exactly the same, but different manufacturers. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@jjjjy7  That's good to know.  Thanks!  Was your replacement an Xi6-T?  I hope that the new STB will be an improvement for you.

FYI, I have 3 Xi6's, all Arris Xi6-A (model AX061AEI) with (supposedly) the same board revision but with burned-in addresses from 2 different MAC address pools.  I don't know if this represents different manufacture dates (with possible engineering changes in newer units) or if they are identical hardware but manufactured in different facilities.  (I can't deduce anything from the serial numbers.  I wonder if Rogers got a bunch of remanufactured/refurbished units.)  My more temperamental Xi6 is the only one with a MAC address starting with 8C:61:A3.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, here's a MAC address vendor lookup site that might be useful every once in a while:

https://macvendors.com/