cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Amazon Prime Video App - Closed Captioning Issues

mdmorel
I've been around

Rogers just upgraded our system to Ignite TV. In the Prime app the closed captioning keeps turning back on even though we want it stuck on default. I turn it off then the next day it's back on. No one here is turning it on. 

We used to view Prime through our Samsung smart TV hub and never had this issue. Any one else experiencing this?

Thanks, MD

*Edited Labels*

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Ignite TV Amazon Prime Video App - Closed Captioning Issues

RogersMoin

Hello, @mdmorel.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. It seems the app is not able to save your Closed Captioning preference. Is this happening on more than one Ignite TV box? 

Community - anybody else noticing the same behaviour?

Cheers,
RogersMoin

yyz64
I plan to stick around

I have also seen this behaviour.I have seen it on more than 1 show,

It seems sometimes even when captions are off, I see German captions in some shows when there is writing.Not sure if that may be intentional or not.

RogersMoin

Hello, @yyz64.

Thank you for joining this discussion. It seems this issue is intermittent and happening on other platforms as well. When it's occurring, you can sign out of Amazon Prime and sign in to the app. This action should result in the Language pop-up, please select English. 

If the issue is persistent, you can reach out to Amazon Prime Video support, and you can also drop us a line in PM so we can submit a ticket for you. 

Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

yyz64
I plan to stick around

So it appears the subtitle issue is resolved for the better. BUT  now I get quite a few occurrences of a show loading and then a black screen with audio.So the video disappears but I have sound.Seems they fixed 1 issue and created another.

yyz64
I plan to stick around

think I spoke too soon regarding the subtitles.Last night  again I got subs when there was writing on the screen.Don't know what language it even was. Then you mess with the subtitles in/off and they won't turn off without going out of the app . Frustrating I've never seen this on a firestick.

Hello, @yyz64.

Issues like black screen or turning on of closed captioning can hinder viewing experience. 

Have you had a chance to report the closed captioning issue to Amazon Prime Video support? As suggested in the previous message, we'd be happy to submit a ticket for you to our Ignite TV backend team. 

Thanks,
RogersMoin

yyz64
I plan to stick around

Sure you can submit a ticket.

The problems

1) can't turn subtitles on/off from the subtitles menu when you pause a show

2) intermittent (yea great I know)  black screen , no video but audio continues  have to exit out of app and reload it

3) I have had and this is even more intermittent had a black screen with no audio and kicked out after about 10 seconds or so to live tv

Hello, @yyz64.

Great! We can surely submit a ticket for you; please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so we can acquire your account details. Meanwhile, you are encouraged to get in touch with Amazon Prime Video support. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

yyz64
I plan to stick around

PM sent

Would be nice to be able to send a pic of the subtitles that come on the screen.Pretty sure today they were German

My wife is watching The Terror via Amazon Prime.  The captions are in Dansk, but the CC setting for language is greyed out on Default.  The settings in ignite and in prime are on English, but the captioning comes up in Danish.  I can get the correct captions directly on Amazon Prime through my PC, but not through ignite on the tv.  anyone had this issue and found a fix?

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

@yyz64   I have had this same issue for months - German subtitles on most shows.  Despite having subtitles off on the main controls, I have to keep turning them off when I start a program.  Only happens when I view Prime via the Ignite box. 

yyz64
I plan to stick around

Yes I still get it and occasionally get a black screen  where the app must be exited and reloaded.When I get a black screen I sometimes still get audio and again have to exit the app and reload.I have had a ticket opened here by the mods, if you are having issues you should also pm the mods here and add your voice to the problem(s) with the app.

yyz64
I plan to stick around

Ok so I received a call today from someone at Rogers. He claims an update has been made to the app around the weekend and was calling to let me know and find out if the problem has been resolved. Told him I haven't used it in a couple of days so not sure if it's been fixed or not but did address all the problems I have had with the app.I was impressed they actually called so we'll see if it is fixed.So if anyone else still notices any problems  please post here and follow up so we can get this fixed.

@yyz64, thank you for updating us! I'm glad to hear my colleague was able to address yours concerns with the app. We definitely encourage all users to share their experiences and issues, it provides us an opportunity to work on a swift resolution.

RogersZia

yyz64
I plan to stick around

So in using the Amazon Prime app which seems to have had the subtitle problem and black screen fixed I have a question.Say you  watch a trailer , when it is over you can press 2 to go to the home screen, 3 to search. There is a back button like a circle with a left turn arrow that seems to be completely unuseable  from the Ignite remote.Or am I missing something?

Update: To go back using the Amazon Prime app , it is the LAST button on the remote that works.

JKUL33
I've been around

Still not working today.  We were trying to use Prime on the Ignite box and impossible to get subtitles off.  We had to switch to a PS4 to watch Prime properly.  This is only happening on Rogers Ignite boxes.  I have no issues with subtitles on PS4, Smart TV or PC so I don't see the point with going to Prime for help as suggested as this seems to be a Rogers problem with their app and not Prime's overall service.  Too bad they can't seem to figure it out.

Overl0rd316
I've been here awhile
I have the same issue with the German cc. Makes no difference whether I turn it off or on in the settings. Indo not have the same issue when using Prime on any of my Samsung TVs.

Hello, @JKUL33 & @Overl0rd316.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

I appreciate you both joining this conversation; it's disappointing that the Closed Captioning issue persists for you. Have you tried signing out of the Amazon Prime app and signing back in? This action should result in the Language selection pop-up so you could choose English. 

We can look into submitting tickets for you; please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

While I am no longer getting subtitles with every program, I am back to getting German subtitles everytime I am watching a program when they start speaking another language - even though subtitles are off.  I have to pause the program and click on CC and turn on the subtitles to get them in English.  (and yes the language is set to English).  Only happens when watching Prime through the Ignite box .

Josh220
I've been around
My wife and I are having the same issue. Constant appearance of CC when we start up certain shows in Prime. Watched a lot during this pandemic and it is very irritating to have random captions show up. Not happening on any other device we own.

Some help from Roger Ignite would be appreciated.
Topic Stats