cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Remote Problems

shamrock2007
I plan to stick around

This is a two part question …

I have four Rogers Ignite TV boxes in my home. Living room, Office, Spare bedroom, Master bedroom.  A few months ago (pre Covid) the living room box died and was replaced with a new box. The new box came with a different controller (XR15) which was horrible to use compared to the original (XR11). After complaining to Rogers about it they sent their technician out and he was very quickly able to reprogram the old XR11 controller to the new box and it has been working great ever since.

Now fast forward to about two months ago (during Covid). The box in my spare bedroom died and Rogers sent a new box out to me via Purolator. Again, this new box came with the newer XR15 controller. I wasn’t too concerned about it at the time as it was in the spare bedroom however, I’m now having problems with the voice command on this XR15 controller. When I depress the voice command it shows the on screen message “Listening”. I say anything it says, “Sorry, I didn’t get that’ … ‘Please try again’.  This happens continually.

1, Why is this happening and what is the solution?

2,  How can I reprogram the XR11 controller to this new box? (Preverable)
      I still have XR11 here in my home.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Remote Problems

shamrock2007
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the help guys. What I had to do was to deactivate the old remote and reprogram it to the tv. The old XR11 remote now works

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shamrock2007 wrote:

The box in my spare bedroom died and Rogers sent a new box out to me via Purolator. Again, this new box came with the newer XR15 controller. I wasn’t too concerned about it at the time as it was in the spare bedroom however, I’m now having problems with the voice command on this XR15 controller. When I depress the voice command it shows the on screen message “Listening”. I say anything it says, “Sorry, I didn’t get that’ … ‘Please try again’.  This happens continually.

1, Why is this happening and what is the solution?

If only one remote/set-top box are affected, it could simply be that the batteries in the remote are low.

For additional troubleshooting tips, Rogers has the following Support article: Troubleshooting the Ignite TV Voice Remote

2,  How can I reprogram the XR11 controller to this new box? (Preverable)
      I still have XR11 here in my home.

You will first need to unpair the remote.  Instructions on how to do that can be found in the Troubleshooting guide.  You can then pair it to the new set-top box as follows: Pairing the Voice Remote

If the remote is still not processing Voice Commands, even after changing the batteries and pairing/unpairing the remote, it might be defective.  If you suspect that this could be the case, call Tech Support.  They can assist you further and send you a replacement if it is indeed defective.

shamrock2007
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the help guys. What I had to do was to deactivate the old remote and reprogram it to the tv. The old XR11 remote now works

jolijnyk
I'm here a lot

Hi,

We inherited a Samsung Q7F as part of a house purchase and we're trying to get Ignite to work on it. We get stuck trying to pair our Samsung remote with the box. We don't care about that, we just want to be able to access the feed from Ignite and use the Rogers remote.

The Samsung TV gives us this error: "Check if your cable or satellite box is set to receive IR signals from universal remote setup."

The Rogers error we see is "Try getting closer to the TV Box and make sure the remote is pointing directly at it. If that doesn't help, you might need to unpair your remote from a previous TV Box. Get instructions at [url that directs me to a page about how to unpair the remote when you already have access to the cable interface through the TV]."

Any ideas what I should try?

Thanks!

Hi @jolijnyk

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I can certainly understand how upsetting it must be not to be able to use your remote with your Ignite box and TV. 

It will be my pleasure to provide the steps to reset and program your remote. 

Here's how you can reset your Ignite TV remote: 

1. Press and hold the Setup button until the LED light changes from red to green.
  2. Enter 981.
  3. The LED will flash at the top to confirm the remote has been reset.

Once it has been reset, you can pair the remote with your Ignite TV box, you'll find how to do so here.

To program your remote with your TV, you will need to follow these steps: 

Remote Setup

1. Press the A button on your Voice Remote.
  2. Select Remote Setup.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Manual Setup

1. Turn on your TV. 
  2. Press and hold Setup until the light at the top of the remote changes from red to green
  3. Enter 9-9-1. The light should flash green twice. 
  4. Keep pressing CH+ until the TV turns off. 
  5. Once the TV turns off, press Setup to lock in the code. 
  6. Press the TV power button on the remote. If the TV turns on, you're all set. 

Hope this helps! 

RogersRob

Thanks,

There is no "Setup" button on this remote.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jolijnyk wrote:

Thanks,

There is no "Setup" button on this remote.

On the newer Ignite remotes (that do not have a Setup button) press and hold the A and D buttons simultaneously until the status LED changes from Red to Green.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
The newer, or as I like to call them, the lesser remotes. The previous model was better. I LOVE the jump back button.

jolijnyk
I'm here a lot

Great, thank you. A + D worked for the initial step.

The next spot I'm stuck is here:

"

• Press the Setup button on your Voice Remote until the LED at the top changes from red to green.
  • Press the Rogers The LED will begin flashing green and the TV screen will prompt you to enter a provided 3-digit code. This may take a few moments to display on your TV."

Assuming A+D can be used in lieu of "Setup" again, I press them together, I get the green light. Then I press "Rogers". At this point I get a brief green flash, then a red one and nothing happens on the TV screen.

Hello again @jolijnyk,

Were you able to resolve the issue you described above with your Ignite remote?

To check what step you're at, press the Mic button on the Voice Remote and say, “Help". If the Troubleshooting Menu does not appear on your screen, you’ll need to pair your remote with the Ignite TV box. To do so:

• Press and hold the Rogers and Info (i) buttons at the same time for 5 seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
  • Follow the instructions by entering the 3-digit, on-screen pairing code. This may take a few moments to display on your TV.
  • You will now see the message: “Would you like to control your TV using your remote?” Click “Not now”.
  • You have now paired your XR15 remote to the Ignite TV set top box.

Turn your TV on or off, and control your TV’s volume using the voice remote. Try these steps for your specific remote type:

• Press and hold the and D buttons at the same time until the LED at the top changes from red to green.
  • Enter 9-9-1. The LED button will flash green twice.
  • Press the CH+ button slowly multiple times until the TV turns off.
  • Once the TV is turned off, press the Select button located at the centre of the arrow controls to lock in the code.

Let us know if this helps! If the issue persists, kindly let us know the steps you have gone through so far so we can help you troubleshoot. 🙂

RogersMaude

We're stuck because nothing happens on the TV.

"

• Press and hold the Rogers and Info (i) buttons at the same time for 5 seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
  • Follow the instructions by entering the 3-digit, on-screen pairing code. This may take a few moments to display on your TV.
  • You will now see the message: “Would you like to control your TV using your remote?” Click “Not now”.
  • You have now paired your XR15 remote to the Ignite TV set top box."

I tried step 1 here, and I get the green light but nothing happens with the TV. I still see "Remote not working?"

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jolijnyk wrote:

We're stuck because nothing happens on the TV.

"

• You have now paired your XR15 remote to the Ignite TV set top box."

I tried step 1 here, and I get the green light but nothing happens with the TV. I still see "Remote not working?"

A number of people have had problems getting their high-end Samsung TVs set up with Ignite and I'm not sure why.  Normally, with most TVs, the process is simple:

1. Plug the Ignite TV set-top box into the "HDMI 1" input on the TV
  2. Turn the TV on using the TV's remote control and set the input to "HDMI 1"
  3. Power up the Ignite TV set-top box and set up the Ignite TV remote.

If you can switch to the desired input on the TV and can see the Ignite set-top box, you can reset the Rogers XR15 remote and re-pair it as follows:

• Press the A and D buttons until the status light turns green, then enter code "9 8 1".  This will reset the remote back to defaults and you should be able to control the Ignite set-top box with IR codes, without pairing it.  You won't be able to control your TV with the Rogers remote yet.
  • Press the Microphone button on your remote.  The set-top box will see that button press but, since it is not paired with the remote, you should see a prompt, "Start using voice commands -- Yes / Not Now".  Select "Yes" and click the OK/Select button on your Rogers remote.  Continue to follow the prompts on the screen.
  • Your set-top box should display a help screen identifying your Rogers remote model and should then prompt you to Press and hold the Rogers (Menu) and Info buttons for 5 seconds.  The next screen should prompt you to enter s 3-digit code.  Enter that code, and your Rogers remote should now be paired with your Ignite set-top box.
  • Keep following the prompts that ask, "Do you want to use your remote to control your TV power and volume?"  Try selecting "Yes", at which point, the set-top box should automatically identify the make of your TV and complete the configuration automatically.  If it cannot, the on-screen prompts will provide you with additional guidance.

For more information on setting up and using the Rogers Ignite TV remotes, go to: https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/remote

Getting the Samsung's "One Smart Remote" working is more troublesome but the trick (apparently) is to configure the TV to control a "Comcast" set-top box.  I don't know if you have the same remote but you may find the following thread helpful: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Samsung-one-remote-and-Arris-xi6-T/td-p/451244

jolijnyk
I'm here a lot

Thank you.

The problem all along was the position of the cable box. 

Thanks again.

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around

My ignite remote is suddenly performing all functions including voice response with the exception of the channel up down function. I changed batteries but still not changing channels. I can change channels in the guide.

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around
Now ny number pad is not working

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around

After playing with batteries I decided to reboot the tuner [pulled power cord out] and remote is now working. Seems it was an issue with the tuner.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 in conversation