cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Question re: Channel selection

GRP1
I'm here a lot

Hi all, I'm considering converting to Ignite but, from what I gather, there are certain channels that are only available if you get the top package (e.g. A&E).  Is this the case?  Seems like a bit of a scam ... why don't they just say you have x channels, pick the one's you want from our entire line-up?  A little frustrating as there are some channels I want that only show up in the Premier bundle but I don't need, nor want to, pay for 125 channels.  I guess this is typical Rogers M.O. but wondering if there's a way to get what I want but with the Flex 20 package?  Thanks 

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Question re: Channel selection

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GRP1 wrote:

Hi all, I'm considering converting to Ignite but, from what I gather, there are certain channels that are only available if you get the top package (e.g. A&E).  Is this the case?  Seems like a bit of a scam ... why don't they just say you have x channels, pick the one's you want from our entire line-up?  A little frustrating as there are some channels I want that only show up in the Premier bundle but I don't need, nor want to, pay for 125 channels.  I guess this is typical Rogers M.O. but wondering if there's a way to get what I want but with the Flex 20 package?  Thanks 

https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/channels will show all of the channels that Rogers offers in each package.  Channels with a check mark are included with the package.  "Flex Channel Included" are the default Flex Channel selections, and you can substitute any of those with any other channel marked "Flex Channel".  If the channel box is blank then it will cost you extra to add it, either as an individual channel or as part of a Theme Pack.

Some channels are only offered as part of a Theme Pack.

The Premier package does contain more Flex Channels and has a wider selection of Flex Channels than any other package.  To call this a "scam" is a bit harsh, but there is definitely some gamesmanship going on when structuring packages.  One problem with allowing you to pick X of any channel is that some channels cost more than others.  Licensing deals are usually also structured on a sliding scale so that the "per subscriber" cost goes down as the number of subscribers increases, so part of the game is also to ensure that channels have enough subscribers to minimize their carrying costs and maximize profits.  Rogers also wants as many people as possible to subscribe to Premier, and customers will only do that if it is a cheaper option than adding Theme Packs to a lower-tier package to get the channels that they want and need.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
Taking a quick look at the website, A&E is available as a flex channel in the Flex 20 bundle.....

Maybe it varies by area (I'm in Guelph), it definitely isn't in the channel list for the 20+ bundle

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GRP1 wrote:

https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/channels will show all of the channels that Rogers offers in each package.  Channels with a check mark are included with the package.  "Flex Channel Included" are the default Flex Channel selections, and you can substitute any of those with any other channel marked "Flex Channel".  If the channel box is blank then it will cost you extra to add it, either as an individual channel or as part of a Theme Pack.

Some channels are only offered as part of a Theme Pack.

The Premier package does contain more Flex Channels and has a wider selection of Flex Channels than any other package.  To call this a "scam" is a bit harsh, but there is definitely some gamesmanship going on when structuring packages.  One problem with allowing you to pick X of any channel is that some channels cost more than others.  Licensing deals are usually also structured on a sliding scale so that the "per subscriber" cost goes down as the number of subscribers increases, so part of the game is also to ensure that channels have enough subscribers to minimize their carrying costs and maximize profits.  Rogers also wants as many people as possible to subscribe to Premier, and customers will only do that if it is a cheaper option than adding Theme Packs to a lower-tier package to get the channels that they want and need.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation