cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Pod will not connect to wifi hub

elliotk1
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I have a Technicolor CGM4140COM wifi gateway and three WNXE12AWR (XE1v2-WN) ignite pods. My wifi and TV all work properly. I can't get any of the 3 pods to connect to the gateway. I followed the steps to connect the pods that are in the Ignite Wifi app. My phone connects via bluetooth to the pod and then the app shows the trying to connect screen for about 5 minutes and then says that connection to gateway didn't work and to try again. I have tried multiple times with all 3 pods. I then contacted Roger support and they had me do the same thing over again with the same results. My gateway was rebooted multiple times. My phone was turned on and off several times. The Ignite wifi app was deleted and then reinstalled on my phone. Nothing worked.  technician will be coming in a couple of days. After each attempt to connect a pod, the Ignite wifi app would say the pod was connected but offline. I several times followed the app instructions to get the pod online and it did not work. The pod was within 10 feet of the gateway for many of the attempts.

In the app it shows 2 different pods, one with 1 ethernet port and one with 2 ethernet ports. Mine (the WNXE12AWR (XE1v2-WN) ignite pods) have one ethernet port. Is it possible that this version of the pod is not compatible with my gateway and I need the pods with the 2 ethernet ports?

Anyone have any suggestions that I could try to get the pods working?

Thanks, Elliot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Pod will not connect to wifi hub

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@elliotk1 wrote:

@G, Thanks for quick reply.

Problem seems to have resolved itself. The pods connected perfectly this morning. I followed the same steps as i did yesterday.

My speeds are very different between being connected to gateway and pod.

- Gateway: 218mbps down/13 up

- Pod: 46 down/16 up

Is this normal?

Glad to hear that your Pods are working today!  What Internet speed do you subscribe to?  If you have the 150u service, then your gateway-connected speed is okay.

With the 1st gen Pod that you have, throughput typically tops out at 200 Mb/s.  That's because that Pod only has one 2.4 GHz radio and one 5 GHz radio and therefore, one (usually the 5GHz radio) will be used for both network client connections and the backhaul link to the Ignite gateway... so the connection speed will max out at half of that radio's speed.  The 2nd gen Pod has three radios, so it has a dedicated 5GHz radio for its backhaul link.

The speed that you are getting with your Pod is slow, probably because you do not have it placed optimally.  The Pod needs to be placed in a location where it has excellent connectivity to the WiFi clients that connect to it and to the gateway.  If you place the Pod in a room with poor connectivity to the gateway, the network clients may get a good connection to the Pod but the Pod will have a very slow connection to the Ignite gateway.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@elliotk1 wrote:

In the app it shows 2 different pods, one with 1 ethernet port and one with 2 ethernet ports. Mine (the WNXE12AWR (XE1v2-WN) ignite pods) have one ethernet port. Is it possible that this version of the pod is not compatible with my gateway and I need the pods with the 2 ethernet ports?

The pod that you have (with a single Ethernet port) is compatible with your Ignite XB6-T gateway.

I can't offer any additional tips other than what is in the Installation and Troubleshooting guides.

The Pod with two Ethernet ports is a new tri-band version that Comcast released a few months ago.  (For more info, see https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod )

Looks like Rogers will finally be offering the new and improved Pod very soon but I don't think that it has been released yet.  There is no information about it on their support pages, and that is almost always the first place where any information about new hardware gets posted.

elliotk1
I've been here awhile

Problem seems to have resolved itself. The pods connected perfectly this morning. I followed the same steps as i did yesterday.

Is this normal?

Thanks, Elliot

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@elliotk1 wrote:

Is this normal?

Glad to hear that your Pods are working today!  What Internet speed do you subscribe to?  If you have the 150u service, then your gateway-connected speed is okay.

With the 1st gen Pod that you have, throughput typically tops out at 200 Mb/s.  That's because that Pod only has one 2.4 GHz radio and one 5 GHz radio and therefore, one (usually the 5GHz radio) will be used for both network client connections and the backhaul link to the Ignite gateway... so the connection speed will max out at half of that radio's speed.  The 2nd gen Pod has three radios, so it has a dedicated 5GHz radio for its backhaul link.

The speed that you are getting with your Pod is slow, probably because you do not have it placed optimally.  The Pod needs to be placed in a location where it has excellent connectivity to the WiFi clients that connect to it and to the gateway.  If you place the Pod in a room with poor connectivity to the gateway, the network clients may get a good connection to the Pod but the Pod will have a very slow connection to the Ignite gateway.

elliotk1
I've been here awhile
Is it true mesh? Do pods go pod to pod if that is the best path or only pod to gateway? I'm asking because I can put a pod half way between gateway and the already installed pod if that would help

elliotk1
I've been here awhile

@G, speed is up nicely now that i added a pod. I also can see that it does connect pod to pod if needed. Thanks for all your help.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@elliotk1 wrote:
Is it true mesh? Do pods go pod to pod if that is the best path or only pod to gateway? I'm asking because I can put a pod half way between gateway and the already installed pod if that would help

Yes, it is a true mesh and the logical topology of the mesh will self-optimize over time.  In most cases, a hub-and-spoke arrangement (with the Ignite gateway placed in a central location in your home) is preferable and the most stable... although that is not always practical or possible.  (I'm also hedging because you will typically get the best WiFi speeds when you place the Ignite gateway in a location that will provide an excellent signal to as many WiFi clients in the home as possible... and if that means having an intermediate Pod, so be it.)

sarge1
I've been around

Why is it not recommended to use an extension to connect the  WiFi Pod?

Thanks,

Vince

MEmptage
I've been around
I don't like how "it solved itself"was the resolution. I have the exact same issue... And it's not resolving itself lol.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sarge1 wrote:

Why is it not recommended to use an extension to connect the  WiFi Pod?

The Pods were designed to be plugged into a wall socket and the design of their internal antenna array was optimized for that configuration.  If the Pod is running a different orientation, it should still work but that will also affect its Wi-Fi coverage.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MEmptage wrote:
I don't like how "it solved itself"was the resolution. I have the exact same issue... And it's not resolving itself lol.

It all depends on why the Pod was going offline to begin with.  A Pod is useless (and actually a detriment) if it does not have a good, strong, fast connection to the Ignite gateway.  It also needs to be placed in just the right location; not too close and not too far away.

I ran into a situation recently where a newly-installed Pod kept going offline.  The wall, separating the Pod and Gateway, had plumbing and ductwork that blocked the Wi-Fi signal.  I unplugged the Pod, moved the Ignite gateway a few inches, confirmed that the Pod's location was now getting a good Wi-Fi  signal, plugged the Pod back in, and everything has been working great ever since.

As in, if you have to use an extension, you should make sure that the pod is sitting upright.  The antenna polarization is, or should be vertical polarization, so, for optimal results, you want to ensure that the modem and pods are sitting upright so that the polarization matches at the transmitter and receiver. 

The Ignite WiFi app happily informs me that "multiple pods are off-line" and offers to troubleshoot them. If I chose this option all that happens is it tests the pod just to tell me it is off line. Rather useless. What is the point of this?

Either remove this "feature" or make it do something useful.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation