Ignite Parental Controls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SyC0
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Ignite Parental Controls

Protected browsing has never been turned on and parental control has only been turned on for the children, should I look up how to clear the cache for my devices?

Oh and I’m testing by going on YouTube and it won’t let me play anything explicit. I’ve checked my account settings and they are not blocking me plus on my old phone I can still get unrestricted on YouTube also if I turn off wifi and use data I get unrestricted on YouTube.
SyC0
I'm Here A Lot

Ok solved the issue. Before I started using the app to manage my wifi I used the 10.0.0.1 gateway, apparently that is still active so I had to go one there and trust my devices.
Grahanross2003
I've Been Around

Wondering if you may be able to answer... I have done all of this (we have 4 teens/preteens) from what I can tell everyone is set up the exact same however one will still show as hitting their active time limit by the time we wake up

Current profile is 3 hour limit on weekends 2 throughout the week.

Downtime
Monday to Thursday 630pm-830pm
Friday and Saturday 9am - 10pm
Sunday 9am - 9pm

Would it pick up on an iPhone not using wifi? Or does he somehow still have access to wifi after 12 am even though his profile is set for 9am
RogersCorey

Good morning @Grahanross2003!

Welcome to our Community!

Did this issue of the parental controls not working only begin recently or have the controls never worked properly for this one household user?

Please let me know.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Dana6
I've Been Here Awhile

I turned on my protected browsing for my kids on my ignite app. Later, I realized it was more inconvenient as it restricted everything in the house, my TV, personal phones and desktop. I went to app to turn it off and I continually get an error to refresh and try again, or try back later. This is extremely inconvenient because I have to use my data to browse to look up anything that protected browsing thinks is a threat, (which is almost everything) and I am well over my usage allotment now and browsing at extremely slow speeds.. I have called tech support twice for this issue!!

RogersLaura

Hello @Dana6!

Thanks for being a part of our community and great first post! 🙂

I understand that you are having some difficulty with turning off the protected browsing feature via your Ignite TV Hub app. Can you please try clearing your device cache followed by a reboot to see if this resolves the issue? Please keep us posted on the results! 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Dana6
I've Been Here Awhile

I've tried thar already. It's not just affecting my phone but my husband's, the TV etc. Even tech couldn't help and opened a ticket but that was days ago..
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dana6  I do not use Protected Browsing but I do know that it uses DNS tricks to do its magic; the Ignite gateway basically intercepts that lookup (when a a device tries to access a blocked site) and then either returns an error or a result that will redirect to an error page.  The problem is that your devices will have cached these bogus DNS lookup results.  Cached DNS records will eventually expire, so you can either wait or you can flush the DNS Cache on your device.  (This is different from clearing your web browser cache.  If you do not have a way to manually flush the DNS cache on a device, rebooting it should work as well.)  I'm not certain of this but after disabling Protected Browsing, you may also need to reboot your Ignite modem/gateway in order to ensure that the DNS cache on the gateway itself gets flushed.

Dana6
I've Been Here Awhile

Totally understand that but the first step should be that the toggle button on the app will not let me move it to an off position, so it's always considered on. It gives me an error message everytime!!
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dana6 wrote:
Totally understand that but the first step should be that the toggle button on the app will not let me move it to an off position, so it's always considered on. It gives me an error message everytime!!

Yikes!  Contact Tech Support... or send a private message to the @CommunityHelps  team.  Even if this option is stuck On in your app, the Rogers support teams should (hopefully) be able to turn it off centrally.