Ignite Parental Controls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ignite Parental Controls

Thanks, @Gdkitty, we can definitely investigate this matter. @cburrell, please feel free to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps at your convenience so we can look into your service. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Around

My daughter has used up her time yet she is still connected to the network. The Ignite WiFi app shows she was 10 minutes over her time limit, and that her device is paused. Can someone please explain how she can still go onto YouTube and send messages via Facebook Messenger?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sean_nicole wrote:
My daughter has used up her time yet she is still connected to the network. The Ignite WiFi app shows she was 10 minutes over her time limit, and that her device is paused. Can someone please explain how she can still go onto YouTube and send messages via Facebook Messenger?

According to the FAQ , pausing a device's WiFi access will not block access to the Internet immediately.  Pausing mainly tries to prevent a device from establishing new network connections; existing active connections will typically still keep on working.

Kids have also figured out that VPN apps can be used to defeat parental controls and attempts to pause their device.  You can also get around many parental controls by changing a device's MAC address, making it look like a new device on the network.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any solutions based on the current implementation... just an explanation of why you are seeing what you are seeing.  The Parental Controls could (and probably should) have been implemented differently to make them much more robust.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I can see the Active Time Limit option but where is the Downtime option on my Ignite Wifi app. I just updated the app and I still don't see it.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I go into the app on my phone (apple device)
I then go into the specific users profile.

I then click the cog wheel in the top right.

There is a downtime thing right at the top.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have gone through and created profiles for each child and one for adults. The child profiles have parental control turned on for safe browsing and the adult profile has it turned off but the adult profile is still being restricted.
Highlighted

Good morning @SyC0,

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers community and congrats on your first post with us! 😊

This is definitely a strange one! Only the devices connected to a specific profile should be affected by the Parental Controls that you have set up when enabled. By any chance, did you double check under your children's profiles to confirm which devices are associated? (Just to be sure you didn't inadvertently add a device in error).

Aside from that, you may want to try deleting the profiles altogether and starting from scratch. I know this option is a bit tedious but it may be necessary to resolve your issue. 

Please keep us in the loop! If still no luck, feel free to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can investigate this matter further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So I went through and verified that none of my devices were in the kids profiles. Then I deleted the adult profile and just added all my devices to household (Which was empty), made sure parental control was off for household and still my devices are restricted.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Now I’ve gone through and deleted every profile, recreated them all and set each child to parental control leaving it off for the parent profile and household. Still it is restricting my laptop and phone.

I also just clicked on where it says my network name on the main screen and protected browsing is off.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SyC0 wrote:
So I went through and verified that none of my devices were in the kids profiles. Then I deleted the adult profile and just added all my devices to household (Which was empty), made sure parental control was off for household and still my devices are restricted.

When you say "restricted", what do you mean by that and how are you testing?  Did you also disable Protected Browsing or just Parental Controls?

Protected Browsing blocks access to malicious sites and affects ALL devices on the network and can sometimes break network connectivity in strange ways.

Parental controls are also DNS-based, so some devices might continue to experience connectivity issues if they cache responses.