cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Parental Controls

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Especially since there was some recent updates, I thought I should do a little write up about the parental controls available on the Ingnite internet.

Many parents worry about what their kids are doing online, how long they are, but are not always aware of all the tools that are available to them.

To manage all these settings, you will need download the rogers ignite wifi app on your phone/tablet, or via the webpage: https://www.rogers.com/ignitewifi/

You will need to log into it with your Myrogers account information which is tied with your ignite account.

The first step may be a little tedious at first, but wont be as bad, only would have to do after you add any new internet devices.
You will want to go to the PEOPLE tab.  On this page you can set up tabs for each person in the house.  You may want to set up a generic one or two as well, for general devices (I have one called rogers for all the rogers devices, and  household one for like smart thermostat, etc)

The next part will be to go over to the DEVICES tab.  When on this tab, you should see all the devices connected (or recently connected).  Clicking on each device, will bring you to the details about it.  Part way down the page should be a spot to ASSIGN the device.  Click on it and add it to a user/profile.
Do this for all your devices.

Afterwards, go into one of the users you want to set these controls on.  In the top right corner there is a gear icon.  This will allow you to set the controls

Parental Controls
Active Time Limit
- this will let you set a total active time limit for all devices.  This will count across ALL devices in that persons profile.  So if they have a PS4 and a phone.. would include online time from both.  Once reached, it will pause all their devices from connecting.
You can choose the amount of time.  As well, there is a different setting for weekedays vs weekends.  So you could give the longer on the weekend days.

Downtime - they have now expanded the 'disconnected' hours.  You can now put in more than one timeframe!

You click on schedule downtime, and will give you options of when you want to set it.  You can choose which days it applies to, then the time frame.  So you can set that it shuts off their internet from 10pm to 8 when they go to school.  Allow it the rest of the day until dinner time + homework time, etc.

Parental Controls - only really and on/off option here.  "reduce the risk of accessing objectionable websites and apps and enable protective search settings for Google, Bing and YouTube. Viewable content will be deemed appropriate for all ages."  Unfortunately no more granular, so no young/vs teen setting.  or adding/removing extra sites.

Pause Internet -  Outside of setting any of the settings above, you can always manually pause a users internet.  Going into that users profile, you can click on the pause button.  this will pause their access for 30m, 1h, 2h, or until you choose to un-pause it.

***Added Labels***

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Ignite Parental Controls

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Thanks so much for putting this together! This is a fantastic user guide update and is super helpful for anyone looking to set up Parental Controls.

For those interested you can also read more about Parental Controls via the following links!

Kids Zone

Turning On Parental Controls Using WiFi Hub

Ignite TV Parental Controls

FAQs about Parental Controls on Ignite WiFi Hub

@RogersAndy

cburrell
I've been here awhile

We upgraded to an Ignite router this weekend, and it has broken the parental controls we had in place on our home network. We have been using a third-party service that filters, in part, based on domains, so it is necessary to use a third-party DNS server. But the DNS server is not configurable on the new Ignite router. Very discouraging.

I know the Ignite router has built-in parental controls, but they are very crude and will take a huge amount of effort to build and maintain.

A question: is it possible to trade this Ignite router for the Rocket (Hitron) router we had before? Will it be necessary to roll back our upgrade? (We are now on the 150u package, and were previously on the 100u package.)

If I instead buy a third-party router that has better parental controls than the Ignite router, do I simply replace the Ignite router, or do I have to somehow connect them together?

Thanks.

Hello, @cburrell.

Welcome to our Community and congratulations on your upgrade to Ignite TV! I hope you are enjoying the service.😃

I recognize your need to change the DNS servers. However, at this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub, as discussed in our recent 'Ask an Expert' event. 

Did you have a chance to try the Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub app? With Ignite WiFi Hub, you can:

• Personalize your WiFi - create customized profiles for everyone in your home

• Stay in the know - see who’s online at home from anywhere, at anytime

• Swap screen time for dinnertime or downtime - pause devices whenever you choose

• Protect your loved ones - turn on easy Parental Controls and Protected Browsing for added peace of mind

• Build healthy habits - activate Bedtime Mode or set Active Time Alerts

• Never forget your WiFi password again - quickly check or update your WiFi password

• Maximize your WiFi signal and security - get tips for your best connection without having to call tech support

As for switching to Hitron gateways, the Ignite TV service only works with Ignite TV gateways (XB6). 

There are quite a few members in our Community using a third-party router by placing the Ignite TV gateway in bridge mode. If you were to opt this, check the following discussions: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Feel free to join any of the above threads if you need any assistance. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Best to follow the links that RogersMoin did, for the greater explanations.

But overall the answer is, no you cant put another modem for ignite, but you are able to use your own 3rd party router.
You put the modem in what they call 'bridge mode' and effectively turn it into a modem only.

If its DNS based, what devices are you using?
Again while not optimal, could you change the DNS on each device?

cburrell
I've been here awhile
Thanks, RogersMoin, for taking the time to reply to my questions. I didn't know there was a WiFi Hub app. I will take a look at it to see what it can do. I'm wondering if I can switch back to the Hitron gateway if I abandon these 'Ignite' services. We don't have a TV, so 'Ignite TV' is not something we're using. We upgraded to 'Ignite' just to get a bit faster Internet service, but I'm not convinced it is worth the aggravation. I may look at the third party router option, but that costs us money, which also wasn't part of the plan. 8-( Thanks.

Hmm.

Not sure if your able to take a screenshot, of your myrogers page, without disclosing any personal information (names, account numbers, etc).
I am a little confused as to WHAT your exact service is that you have?

There is Ignite internet, as well as Ignite internet & TV.  But there are different modems based on each service.
There is no point for paying for the ignite w/ TV, if your not using the TV.  That modem I know is specifically locked and you cant change the DNS.

If you are on ignite Internet only, i believe that its still this modem?

Which is a Hitron.  And I think you can still change the DNS settings on?   Unless they are using this one through the ignite wifi hub app stuff now and not able to more granular change the details.
(you used to be able to)

cburrell
I've been here awhile
MyRogers shows us with the 150u Ignite service ("as part of Rogers Ignite Starter Bundle"). The modem is not the one in your picture, but the one here. This whole process has been a boondoggle. Rogers cold-called us to propose upgrading our internet service. Lower price, faster speed. It seemed a good idea. I never imagined the router would not be configurable, and I doubt the sales staff would have known anyway. We agreed. When the technician showed up, he had the new router and a TV box! He told us we were getting a new phone number too. We didn't want any of that, and it hadn't been discussed. We immediately got on the phone with Rogers, and asked for cancellation of the TV and phone service. We were promised it would be done, but both are still listed on our MyRogers page. Meantime the technician left with our Hitron router (sob!), but left the still-packaged Ignite TV box at our house. Sigh. I guess what I'm wondering is if Rogers offers any internet service that still uses a configurable Hitron router. The one in your picture might be just the thing! But if I call sales, will they have a clue what I'm talking about? I have my doubts. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I appreciate it.

cburrell
I've been here awhile
Sorry about the lack of carriage returns. They seem to have been stripped out. It was nicely formatted in the comment box.

Ok, so yeah, they signed you up for the whole IGNITE service with TV...

Where you really need just the ignite internet on its own.
(which does have a hitron coda modem)

@RogersMoin , wondering if you (or someone) can reach out to @cburrell to look into their account.
See if anything can be done to switch the user back to what they really need. 

Thanks, @Gdkitty, we can definitely investigate this matter. @cburrell, please feel free to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps at your convenience so we can look into your service. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

RogersMoin

sean_nicole
I've been around
My daughter has used up her time yet she is still connected to the network. The Ignite WiFi app shows she was 10 minutes over her time limit, and that her device is paused. Can someone please explain how she can still go onto YouTube and send messages via Facebook Messenger?

@sean_nicole wrote:
My daughter has used up her time yet she is still connected to the network. The Ignite WiFi app shows she was 10 minutes over her time limit, and that her device is paused. Can someone please explain how she can still go onto YouTube and send messages via Facebook Messenger?

According to the FAQ , pausing a device's WiFi access will not block access to the Internet immediately.  Pausing mainly tries to prevent a device from establishing new network connections; existing active connections will typically still keep on working.

Kids have also figured out that VPN apps can be used to defeat parental controls and attempts to pause their device.  You can also get around many parental controls by changing a device's MAC address, making it look like a new device on the network.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any solutions based on the current implementation... just an explanation of why you are seeing what you are seeing.  The Parental Controls could (and probably should) have been implemented differently to make them much more robust.

Ceiliboy
I've been around
I can see the Active Time Limit option but where is the Downtime option on my Ignite Wifi app. I just updated the app and I still don't see it.

When I go into the app on my phone (apple device)
I then go into the specific users profile.

I then click the cog wheel in the top right.

There is a downtime thing right at the top.

SyC0
I'm here a lot
I have gone through and created profiles for each child and one for adults. The child profiles have parental control turned on for safe browsing and the adult profile has it turned off but the adult profile is still being restricted.

Good morning @SyC0,

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers community and congrats on your first post with us! 😊

This is definitely a strange one! Only the devices connected to a specific profile should be affected by the Parental Controls that you have set up when enabled. By any chance, did you double check under your children's profiles to confirm which devices are associated? (Just to be sure you didn't inadvertently add a device in error).

Aside from that, you may want to try deleting the profiles altogether and starting from scratch. I know this option is a bit tedious but it may be necessary to resolve your issue. 

Please keep us in the loop! If still no luck, feel free to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can investigate this matter further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

So I went through and verified that none of my devices were in the kids profiles. Then I deleted the adult profile and just added all my devices to household (Which was empty), made sure parental control was off for household and still my devices are restricted.

SyC0
I'm here a lot
Now I’ve gone through and deleted every profile, recreated them all and set each child to parental control leaving it off for the parent profile and household. Still it is restricting my laptop and phone.

I also just clicked on where it says my network name on the main screen and protected browsing is off.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SyC0 wrote:
So I went through and verified that none of my devices were in the kids profiles. Then I deleted the adult profile and just added all my devices to household (Which was empty), made sure parental control was off for household and still my devices are restricted.

When you say "restricted", what do you mean by that and how are you testing?  Did you also disable Protected Browsing or just Parental Controls?

Protected Browsing blocks access to malicious sites and affects ALL devices on the network and can sometimes break network connectivity in strange ways.

Parental controls are also DNS-based, so some devices might continue to experience connectivity issues if they cache responses.

SyC0
I'm here a lot
Protected browsing has never been turned on and parental control has only been turned on for the children, should I look up how to clear the cache for my devices?

Oh and I’m testing by going on YouTube and it won’t let me play anything explicit. I’ve checked my account settings and they are not blocking me plus on my old phone I can still get unrestricted on YouTube also if I turn off wifi and use data I get unrestricted on YouTube.
Topic Stats