Ignite Home Phone: Which phones are supported?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite Home Phone: Which phones are supported?

I have just signed up for Ignite TV and Internet. It comes with a a home phone number, call waiting and voicemail. I don't actually own a phone. What sort of phone do I need to  purchase please?

Thanks in advance

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite Home Phone: Which phones are supported?

Although there are some less expensive models, I always recommend the Panasonic brand if you're looking for a cordless phone set. They are available with any number of handsets.  Look into the features that are available and pick the phone (set) that meets your needs in terms of features, number of handsets, etc.  Since you'll have access to Rogers Voicemail, you do not need to purchase one that has that feature, saving you a bit of money.

Asking us for recommendations is a bit like asking which vehicle to buy without telling us whether you're single or have 5 kids.  😉

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hey @banksant,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for your first post!

I hope you’re enjoying your Ignite service so far. You can use any home phone set you like, our Ignite Home Phone works just like the traditional home phone service you’ve had in the past. I’d recommend a cordless phone with Caller ID for convenience. Smiley Happy

RogersTim

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although there are some less expensive models, I always recommend the Panasonic brand if you're looking for a cordless phone set. They are available with any number of handsets.  Look into the features that are available and pick the phone (set) that meets your needs in terms of features, number of handsets, etc.  Since you'll have access to Rogers Voicemail, you do not need to purchase one that has that feature, saving you a bit of money.

Asking us for recommendations is a bit like asking which vehicle to buy without telling us whether you're single or have 5 kids.  😉

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@banksant let me offer the "bah humbug" argument here.  Just because the home phone service is included in the Ignite TV package, you're under no obligation to actually use it.  If you have a use for it, great, if not, you might not want to bother buying a phone.  If you live on your cell phone, consider calling tech support to see if the Customer Service Rep can forward any calls to your cell phone.  Normally that would be set via the phone which is connected to the modem, but, perhaps the tech can do that for you. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well Tim:

I already have a phone number - same number I've had for 30 years.  I have 4 extensions on this line, all of which are connected via copper running through conduit embedded in the concrete structure.  I HATE cordless phones.

Should I decide to change my Rogers services package, I hope that Ignite will not force me to buy a 4 pack wireless phone package??

Please provide more details about how Ignite phone services work, and the implications for me.

Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@terryhewlett wrote:

... I hope that Ignite will not force me to buy a 4 pack wireless phone package??

The Ignite "modem" can be plugged into any existing phone jack and "backfeed' your phone system if the demarcation point is properly wired to all your phone jacks.  The only time this is an issue is if you have an alarm system and that may require a professional installer to get everything working in concert.  There are lots of other threads with this or similar discussions

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Corded or cordless does not matter, any will work. It is a standard implementation of telco technology.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Can I buy any business IP phone to connect to work with Rogers VOIP Home Phone Service?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can not use digital pbx or voip IP phones with ignite home phone. Only traditional analogue telephones including analog cordless phones will work. The kind thay plug into a bell telephone jack only.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And get ready to experience all sort of WMI once you sort out your cordless/corded setup.

Read here, Rogers is still ignoring this issue and their response to me is " well you get land line FREE as ignite TV package" so can expect much!!!

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-home-phone-voice-mail-indicators/td-p/4359...