Ignite App similar to Bell Fibe Alt TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite App similar to Bell Fibe Alt TV

Is Rogers planning on launch an Ignite App for Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, etc.. similar to the Bell Fibe app?

Also will there be a Rogers Ignite service that will work on those devices standalone without the Ignite boxes for TV again similar to the Bell Fibe Alt TV?

***Edited Labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Ignite App similar to Bell Fibe Alt TV

Even if they were planning it they would not tell you until was released.

Their prior announcements tell us that.
They could come out with an different product that would be like bell alt tv.

Who knows it would all be rumours.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chomyn wrote:

Is Rogers planning on launch an Ignite App for Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, etc.. similar to the Bell Fibe app?

This same question was recently posted and answered (kinda) in the Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/450745/highlight/t...

I've Been Around

Rogers Product Manager on this thread replied on November 5 2019:

Hi @98765432l ,

We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!

It's been over a year now and still no Ignite TV app on Amazon Firestick?

What's taking so long? Bell has had their app on there for a while now. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LDG13 wrote:

Rogers Product Manager on this thread replied on November 5 2019:

We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!

It's been over a year now and still no Ignite TV app on Amazon Firestick?  What's taking so long? Bell has had their app on there for a while now. 

That's actually a pretty typical response that you would get from any Marketing department when a requested feature is not available yet.

Comcast is only starting to roll out Xfinity TV apps on alternate streaming platforms for their customers.  So far, they are beta testing a Roku app as well apps for some Smart TVs.  When Comcast adds support for additional partner devices, we'll see it here.

The reality is that we will not see anything similar until an Ignite TV version of that same app can be packaged, tested and distributed here.

I'm Here A Lot

This simply isn't true. The Xfinity app has been supported on many devices for over two years. If you look at the link posted below from Feb 2019, you will see they support Firesticks, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Samsung and LG and other smart tv's. They also don't block the app from working on devices so I can download the Xfinity app from Google Play to a Firestick or Google TV device and it will work as Rogers blocks these devices MAC. I have 3 of my 5  tv's as Samsung TV's in my house and I would gladly return my X1 Ignite boxes and save $24 a month. This is purely a cash grab from Rogers.

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-statement-on-xfinity-tv-and-streaming-devices#:...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gutes13  Okay, but let's pick that statement from Comcast apart very carefully:

Xfinity TV customers can currently access their subscription via the Xfinity Stream app on iOS and Android mobile devices, and on computers and laptops via the Xfinity Stream web portal.

Rogers also offers those mobile apps and provides web access to their service on https://ignitetv.rogers.com/

Customers can also access their subscription on the TV via the Xfinity Stream app for Roku devices and Samsung smart TVs (and soon LG and Sony smart TVs as well),

That is what I referred to in my previous post.  We can't get that yet from Rogers.

or use their Xfinity credentials to authenticate more than 130 networks across more than 20 devices including Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, and Xbox One, among others, or via CableCARD devices like TiVo.

That doesn't mean that they have an Xfinity Stream app on any of those platforms, just that an app on that platform can authenticate with the Xfinity service and determine whether or not you are subscribed to the channel/service that you want to gain access to.  This is equivalent to you using the Crave or CTV Go apps on Apple TV and authenticating with your Rogers account credentials.

And Comcast Cable is actively in talks with other device manufacturers to distribute the Xfinity Stream app, under terms that are mutually agreeable, through the Xfinity TV Partner Program, which continues to enable us to efficiently and effectively expand the range of devices our customers can utilize to access their Xfinity TV subscription.

And that is where things are stuck with regards to Comcast delivering an app on the Amazon Fire Stick or on Apple TV.

The bottom line is that until Rogers gets an app from Comcast that they can apply their branding to and integrate with their systems, we won't get it.